Thread: 2018 Sonata

2018 Sonata

Hi Eric!

Long time no quack. Have you had a chance to take a look at the redesigned Sonata? I'm considering trading in my 10 year old Sonata for a new one, but I'm debating on sticking with the Sonata or going down to the Elantra. I've driven one for a few days and didn't see anything much different from the Sonata. Plus, the Elantra is made at the same plant in town as the Sonata (no wonder they look so similar, huh?). My Sonata has been a helluva great car and I want to stick with a winner. Never had this much reliability from anything made by GM.

duck

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post
    Hi Eric!

Long time no quack. Have you had a chance to take a look at the redesigned Sonata? I'm considering trading in my 10 year old Sonata for a new one, but I'm debating on sticking with the Sonata or going down to the Elantra. I've driven one for a few days and didn't see anything much different from the Sonata. Plus, the Elantra is made at the same plant in town as the Sonata (no wonder they look so similar, huh?). My Sonata has been a helluva great car and I want to stick with a winner. Never had this much reliability from anything made by GM.

duck
    Quack, quack, quack, Ducky.

My take on the two cars;

Both good reliable vehicles. Elantra slightly smaller and less power.
    Plus for the Elantra is that it is a cheaper car to buy - this means that
    you could either cut your costs or, if you bought the Elantra, you could
    use the difference in price to add on your preferred upgrades. If your
    preference is for performance, acceleration and speed then the Sonata
    could be your best bet. If you want reliability and comfort then either
    will give you what you want. Below is someone else's take on the two cars.

Elantra vs Sonata COMPARISON.

Comfort
    The Hyundai Elantra offers rear passengers about the same space to stretch out as the Hyundai Sonata with comparable rear head- and legroom in both vehicles. The Hyundai Sonata will be a favorite with taller drivers due to its greater front head- and legroom than the Hyundai Elantra.

Convenience
    The Hyundai Sonata requires fewer visits to the gas station than the Hyundai Elantra, making it more convenient to drive.

Cost
    There are a lot of factors to consider when calculating the overall cost of a vehicle. The main consideration is Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP). Based on MSRP, the Hyundai Elantra is clearly a better financial choice over the Hyundai Sonata. Another consideration is the Destination Charge, which is a standard charge for transporting the vehicle to the dealer from where it's built. The Hyundai Elantra and the Hyundai Sonata have similar Destination Charges.

Dimensions
    Since the Hyundai Elantra is much slimmer than the Hyundai Sonata, it'll be much easier to find a wide enough space in a crowded parking lot. If you go with the Hyundai Elantra, you'll have a much easier time finding a large enough space to park than you will with the Hyundai Sonata.

Drivetrain
    The Hyundai Elantra has much less torque than the Hyundai Sonata, which generally means that it won't feel as fast or powerful.

Handling
    The Hyundai Elantra has a smaller turning radius than the Hyundai Sonata, allowing you to more easily maneuver in and out of tight spots.

Performance
    When it comes to horsepower, the Hyundai Elantra is significantly less powerful than the Hyundai Sonata. The good news is that, reportedly, cars with lower horsepower engines often have lower insurance premiums.

Utility
    In terms of seating you'll be able to fit the same number of people in both the Hyundai Elantra and the Hyundai Sonata. The Hyundai Elantra has less cargo capacity than the Hyundai Sonata, which is okay if you don't need to move a lot in one trip.

Warranty
    The Hyundai Elantra comes with essentially the same basic warranty as the Hyundai Sonata
    Last edited by Ken; 07-30-2017 at 07:18 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Hi Ken!

That's a great summary! I've driven a rental Elantra when my Sonata was in repair, so I've had a chance to drive it in regular driving. I rarely have anyone in the back seat and I don't think my beagle really cares that much. Trunk space may be an issue, but I also don't drive out of town as much anymore either. The best laugh for me is the destination charge since it's only coming 15 miles up the interstate, but I understand that it's a single price to level the playing field. I'm used to a 6 cylinder car, but I know those aren't as plentiful as they used to be. Hoping I don't have to buy a new one immediately, but I am looking.

duck

Another thought, Ducky. If you want a bit more performance to give a better comparison
    on the road to the Sonata, there is always the Elantra Sport. Here's a link to the 2017
    model and I believe the 2018 model might be even better. Check it out.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyund...-drive-review/

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I can't picture me driving a Sport anything <g>. I usually buy the Limited trim model. My big concern is getting the bells and whistles I want without a sunroof. Don't like em, don't want em. Not sure when I'll pull the trigger on this or just wait for a while.

duck

I sold my Grand Marquis two days before leaving on a trip to the gulf coast. I called Hertz to get a 7 passenger car. the listing said a Nissan Pathfinder or similar. The similar was a 2018 Sonata AWD FE. I don't know what FE stands for but it was a learning curve to drive that puppy. I also liked it, for about 50 miles. I put 2000 on it over 6 days. It got great fuel mileage averaging 28-29 mpg on numerous fill ups. All the controls on the steering wheel made for a lack of having to reach for radio tuning for instance. Plenty pf room when we picked the kids up for a day trip to New Orleans. A/C would freeze you out, and I don't get cold easy.

However, it was noisy riding down the road, the window sill was too high to rest my arm on, the arm rest was too low and the seats felt like they were made from bricks,. The more I drove it, the more I began to hate it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Oops! I rented a Kia Sorento, not Sonata. These new vehicle names are confusing to olde phartes like me.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.