Thread: Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor?

Transmission Fluid Temp Sensor?

So, here I am at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and my Check Engine Light comes on. Neighbor suggested I take it to AutoZone to check the codes (Apparently there was a rush today on that problem!). It checked out to be the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor. It had just gone over 90k and I was going to take it in for servicing anyway. So far I'm hearing that I can wait until Tuesday with no problem, but I thought I'd check in with the experts here. Oh, 2007 Hyundai Sonata. Thanks!

duck

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post
    So, here I am at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon and my Check Engine Light comes on. Neighbor suggested I take it to AutoZone to check the codes (Apparently there was a rush today on that problem!). It checked out to be the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor. It had just gone over 90k and I was going to take it in for servicing anyway. So far I'm hearing that I can wait until Tuesday with no problem, but I thought I'd check in with the experts here. Oh, 2007 Hyundai Sonata. Thanks!

duck
    Quack, quack, Ducky.

From previous experience with a Merc that actually did seriously overheat its transmission oil I would say just take it easy and you should be fine Ducky. It sounds, if there is no smoke or untoward noises, as though you have a sensor glitch, just drive steadily and you should be fine. If in doubt at any point, just stop for a while.

Terms and conditions apply, advice given based on experience only and accepted at own risk,
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post

duck

Check your fluid IF you have a dipstick. For some reason, manufacturers are doing away with dipsticks on transmissions. This makes you unable to check or add fluid. All this "you can't be trusted to use the right fluid" is just the makers trying to protect their territory. Either that or lazy customers. I know of three tows due to fluid loss and one of those was a destroyed transmission. If you have a dipstick, smell the fluid. If it smells burnt (trust me, you'll know it if it does) park the car. If it smells okay, drive gently.

Besides the transmission failures, another thing I don't like is Ford asked a study group what can be improved. They didn't like gas caps. Now, Ford has just a little door to seal the tank. I know of one vehicle that sideswiped something and tore the door off and the CEL keeps going off for emissions (I think he was drinking) and I have helped pull and clean two tanks that had foreign material added by children helping daddy/mommy.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I checked all the fluids before I did anything else. That's when I saw my neighbor and he told me AutoZone would check the codes for free. The only time I've ever had a check engine light come on I was using an aftermarket gas cap (different car). I think it's just my car telling me I had gone over 90k miles and it was ready for its checkup! I have a couple of places I have to go tomorrow, but I'll take it in first thing on Tuesday. Thanks!

duck

Well, this is strange. It was on first thing this morning and after the first stop, it's now off again. I'm still taking it to the shop tomorrow.