Thread: How many can you do?

How many can you do?

https://www.artofmanliness.com/2015/...n-should-know/

I can do everything but field dress game. I haven't done it in 50+ years and have forgotten the small tricks needed to do it right.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Reckon I can do most of those relevant to a geriatric old gentleman.
    Not too sure about the bear though as we don't seem to get them in
    this neck of the 'Woodhall Woods'. (Wanders around yard calling 'Here
    bear, here bear. Nope! nary a sign of one.)

Last wildie I skinned, prepared and cooked was a
    rabbit. I guess, like you Grouch, that must have been about fifty years
    ago. Reckon I could still do it though, if I had to.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Reckon I can do most of those relevant to a geriatric old gentleman.
    Not too sure about the bear though as we don't seem to get them in
    this neck of the 'Woodhall Woods'. (Wanders around yard calling 'Here
    bear, here bear. Nope! nary a sign of one.)

Last wildie I skinned, prepared and cooked was a
    rabbit. I guess, like you Grouch, that must have been about fifty years
    ago. Reckon I could still do it though, if I had to.

Ken.

A lot would depend on how hungry I was. I don't hunt. It irritates the girlfriends family as I can put lead on target if I can see it. I'm also extremely farsighted. I can't use a scope, just iron sights. I hit a bulls eye on a Deer target at 300 yards. I can't see what's in front of my face, but I read rail cars from 1/4 mile away.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    A lot would depend on how hungry I was. I don't hunt. It irritates the girlfriends family as I can put lead on target if I can see it. I'm also extremely farsighted. I can't use a scope, just iron sights. I hit a bulls eye on a Deer target at 300 yards. I can't see what's in front of my face, but I read rail cars from 1/4 mile away.
    Both Diane and I are averse to killing any living thing. However, should the need
    ever arise (WWIII?) I would have no reservations about hunting to survive.
    Living in the country one should be able not only to survive but survive well.

My eyes are the opposite to yours - I definitely need a scope, even for my
    backyard range.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-14-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Both Diane and I are averse to killing any living thing. However, should the need
    ever arise (WWIII?) I would have no reservations about hunting to survive.
    Living in the country one should be able not only to survive but survive well.

My eyes are the opposite to yours - I definitely need a scope, even for my
    backyard range.

Ken.

I eat meat. Not much but I do eat meat. As for a living thing, plants are alive too. Ever smell the smell of freshly mown grass? That is the grass giving off distress pheromones. My Grandfather used to have the most healthy trees. He would go out after midnight and whack his trees with a rolled up newspaper. I asked him about it once and he said that trees may not be sentient, but they are alive. They will respond as if they are being grazed by Deer and put on a growth spurt to get their food source, leaves, above the reach of herbivores. When I asked if the capillary action worked better after midnight, he replied, no, if you hit your trees with a rolled up newspaper during the day, your neighbors will think you're crazy.

I don't mind if someone wants to go vegetarian. Even Vegan. I just don't care for the hypocrisy some Vegans indulge in. I had one get on me once about eating a hamburger. I pointed out her leather shoes were made from peeled cows. She started getting red in the face when I told her Vegan was a Cherokee word for "lousy hunter". She finally left and everyone was laughing when I asked her if PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals? Regular Vegetarians or even Vegans don't bother me. Self important people who want to tell everyone else how to live, well, I have issues with that.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I eat meat. Not much but I do eat meat. As for a living thing, plants are alive too. Ever smell the smell of freshly mown grass? That is the grass giving off distress pheromones. My Grandfather used to have the most healthy trees. He would go out after midnight and whack his trees with a rolled up newspaper. I asked him about it once and he said that trees may not be sentient, but they are alive. They will respond as if they are being grazed by Deer and put on a growth spurt to get their food source, leaves, above the reach of herbivores. When I asked if the capillary action worked better after midnight, he replied, no, if you hit your trees with a rolled up newspaper during the day, your neighbors will think you're crazy.

I don't mind if someone wants to go vegetarian. Even Vegan. I just don't care for the hypocrisy some Vegans indulge in. I had one get on me once about eating a hamburger. I pointed out her leather shoes were made from peeled cows. She started getting red in the face when I told her Vegan was a Cherokee word for "lousy hunter". She finally left and everyone was laughing when I asked her if PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals? Regular Vegetarians or even Vegans don't bother me. Self important people who want to tell everyone else how to live, well, I have issues with that.
    I am a true omnivorous carnivore - I would eat meat every day of the week and
    twice on Sundays, especially with two or three veg, roast potatoes and plenty of
    gravy. You know, I think your Granpa was a wise old fella. He was quite right,
    whack trees with a rolled up newspaper during the day and the neighbours would
    be calling for the yellow wagon.

It has always amused me that the very people who complain bitterly if anyone
    eats meat or wears animal skin 'Animals are killed just so you can eat them or
    wear them!' will quite happily take living vegetables and kill them in boiling water.

How logical is that. If they were really true to their beliefs about killing things
    to eat or wear they would go naked and starve themselves to death. Still, as
    you rightly say 'You live your life, I'll live mine and don't pester me with your
    beliefs.' I have enough beliefs of my own.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-15-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.