Thread: Got milk?

Hybrid View

Got milk?

I'm going to get a little political here. A friend and his wife have a small farm. They deal is specialty foods. All organic. Instead of herbicide they rely on things like a "Go Dig" to uproot and clear weeds. They aren't making a lot of money but since he started this a few years back, they are both happier,have no debt and are just pleasant people to be around. I was up there over the weekend and he was in a bad mood which is unusual for him.

It seems new FDA rules may mess with his business. His goat milk doesn't bring a lot of cash in but it brings some. The FDA is looking to do away with words like "Soymilk", Almond Milk" and so on. If it doesn't come from a cow, it isn't milk. He said the requirement is it has to come from "a bovine mammal". Goat are not cows. If it passes, he won't be able to sell goat milk as milk. I thought Hillary lost the election.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post

It seems new FDA rules may mess with his business. His goat milk doesn't bring a lot of cash in but it brings some. The FDA is looking to do away with words like "Soymilk", Almond Milk" and so on. If it doesn't come from a cow, it isn't milk. He said the requirement is it has to come from "a bovine mammal". Goat are not cows. If it passes, he won't be able to sell goat milk as milk. I thought Hillary lost the election.
    If goats and cattle both come under the genetic heading of Bovidae there shouldn't be a problem. If I am right then the FDA need to be advised of their error.

Bovidae, a family of ruminant artiodactyl hollow-horned mammals including sheep,
    goats, cattle, antelopes, and buffalo.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 07-30-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If goats and cattle both come under the genetic heading of Bovidae there shouldn't be a problem. If I am right then the FDA need to be advised of their error.

Bovidae, a family of ruminant artiodactyl hollow-horned mammals including sheep,
    goats, cattle, antelopes, and buffalo.

Ken.

It's the Dairy farmers pushing for it. I'm pretty sure the omission is on purpose. My buddy makes most of his money from organic produce but the goat milk and cheese does pay decent.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Sounds very political - the FDA must be well aware that what they are proposing has no validity.
    Any mammalian lactate is, by definition 'Milk' .Are there no other Goat farmers that could form a
    lobby?

I have drunk goats' milk for many years, my wife however sticks firmly to 'Cow' despite the health benefits
    of goats' milk.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Sounds very political - the FDA must be well aware that what they are proposing has no validity.
    Any mammalian lactate is, by definition 'Milk' .Are there no other Goat farmers that could form a
    lobby?

I have drunk goats' milk for many years, my wife however sticks firmly to 'Cow' despite the health benefits
    of goats' milk.

Ken.
    Bob and his wife were looking into getting some Yaks. Evidently there is a niche market for Yak milk. My mother told me once I had lactose intolerance as a baby and she had to feed me Soymilk. This is the mid 50's so this current foolishness is just trying to monopolize the milk market. The price of milk in the U.S. is already artificially high.
    Honk if you love Jesus.