Thread: Chinesium

Hybrid View

Chinesium

Everybody wants stuff cheap and it bit them on the butt when China locked down. All those parts made cheap didn't get made when everybody there had to stay home. The parts aren't really that good either.

I've got an old truck I dug out of a barn. It's coming together pretty well and runs great. 3 inch exhaust and a muffler that is really just a wide spot in the pipe and even this partly deaf guys likes the sound. One headlight was out but no big deal. I bought two and swapped them both out. I also got in the dash and replaced the dead radio and did some other work. I put everything back together and thought I'd see what the lights do. No headlights!!!!! I jiggled the plug on one and it came on and went off. If it's plugged just right, it works. The high beam works fine. The other light had a sharp edge on the glass that split my finger to the meat. It wouldn't work on high or low beam. I took it back and got another one and it works like the left one. I jiggled it until it started working on low beam. I've always had good luck with Sylvania headlights but I doubt I'll buy any more. I'm just glad I went with the cheaper Xtravision and not the more expensive SilverStar bulbs.

I put rear shocks on the truck and the Chinesium nuts stripped inside. I can't tighten one and it won't bite enough to come off. I'd buy American, if I could find it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post

I've got an old truck I dug out of a barn. .......I also got in the dash and replaced the dead radio and did some other work. I put everything back together and thought I'd see what the lights do. No headlights!!!!! I jiggled the plug on one and it came on and went off. If it's plugged just right, it works. The high beam works fine. The other light had a sharp edge on the glass that split my finger to the meat. It wouldn't work on high or low beam. I took it back and got another one and it works like the left one. I jiggled it until it started working on low beam. I've always had good luck with Sylvania headlights but I doubt I'll buy any more. I'm just glad I went with the cheaper Xtravision and not the more expensive SilverStar bulbs.

I put rear shocks on the truck and the Chinesium nuts stripped inside. I can't tighten one and it won't bite enough to come off. I'd buy American, if I could find it.
    Sounds like the plug contacts got corroded while the truck was stuck in the barn, Grouch.
    Some plugs can be dismantled and cleaned or it might be possible to get replacement
    plugs and wire them in. The last thing one wants it to have lights go out on a twisting,
    winding road on a pitch black night. Another option would be to cut the dodgy plug off
    and fit insulated female disconnects to the wires allowing direct connection to the bulb
    tabs (Marking each wire's function as it is removed from the plug)

Ken.

Stripped nuts, as you described, can be a right pain in the butt to remove. Ideally I
    used to use a nut cracker - given room to fit it. Sometimes it was a ball breaking
    job of cutting it off by hand with a four or five in length of hacksaw blade. I don't
    know how much room there is on your truck but could you tack weld another nut
    to the stripped one then use a bolt through the welded on nut to 'jack' the stripped
    nut off the stud?

FWIW.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Sounds like the plug contacts got corroded while the truck was stuck in the barn, Grouch.
    Some plugs can be dismantled and cleaned or it might be possible to get replacement
    plugs and wire them in. The last thing one wants it to have lights go out on a twisting,
    winding road on a pitch black night. Another option would be to cut the dodgy plug off
    and fit insulated female disconnects to the wires allowing direct connection to the bulb
    tabs (Marking each wire's function as it is removed from the plug)

Ken.

Stripped nuts, as you described, can be a right pain in the butt to remove. Ideally I
    used to use a nut cracker - given room to fit it. Sometimes it was a ball breaking
    job of cutting it off by hand with a four or five in length of hacksaw blade. I don't
    know how much room there is on your truck but could you tack weld another nut
    to the stripped one then use a bolt through the welded on nut to 'jack' the stripped
    nut off the stud?

FWIW.

Ken.

The plug is clean and greased with dielectric grease. The problem is with the bulbs. I pulled them and the tabs on the bulb are loose. Both of them. These are just plain junk bulbs. As for the nut, it's a simple nut and bolt. Getting to it is a real pain. I had to cut the old one off with a cutting wheel. Nothing like glowing red metal particles falling down your sleeve.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    As for the nut, it's a simple nut and bolt. Getting to it is a real pain. I had to cut the old one off with a cutting wheel. Nothing like glowing red metal particles falling down your sleeve.
    Yeah, that brings back memories!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.