Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Environmentally responsible do-it-yourselfing

mrblanche

Re: Environmentally responsible do-it-yourselfing

Ah...so I see, now. What you believe, contrary to evidence, is not "superstition," just what others believe. OK, I've got you pegged now. The site I pointed you to is not a retread producer, but rather a consortium of retreaders including all the major manufacturers, who also retread tires as well as producing new tires.

But, just so you can see for yourself:

http://www.michelintruck.com/micheli...ad/Retread.jsp

http://www.goodyear.com/truck/services/process.html

And here's one from your own home state, telling you the benefits of retreading:

http://www.green.ca.gov/EPP/vehicles/RetreadedTires.htm

And you don't like the sellers view. How about the buyer's view? Since HIS paycheck does depend on the quality!

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/bigtrucktv_vitalstream_com/Decco_retreading.wmv

I would disagree with Dennis's statement about the ratio of car/truck tire treads on the highway. From what I read (and see), the majority by weight would be truck tires, but by far the minority are retreads; 90% of the truck tire treads on the road are from "virgin" tires, and 100% of the car tread is from non-retreaded tires.

Now, personally, I don't buy retreads for my own truck, but that is because they really don't save me that much money. I get about 150,000 miles on my steer tires, then sell them to a dealer for retreading. But most people don't use retreads on the steer tires; those tires become trailer or drive tires. On my current truck, I replaced the rear drive axle tires at 410,000 miles, and the front drive tires at 512,000 miles. If I could have had my own casing retreaded, I would probably have done that, but that isn't an option for a 1-truck fleet.

The only tire I have EVER blown out on my truck was a steer tire with only a few thousand miles on it, and, again, it was a sidewall failure. Dottie was driving, by the way.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I would believe what I see about rethreads if it were from a company that made NEW tires.
    Mike gave you some very good links, especially the CA one. I'm sorry you've never had an opportunity to witness new tires and retreads being made, as that would change your opinion for sure.

DonTom

Ah...so I see, now. What you believe, contrary to evidence, is not "superstition," just what others believe.

What "evidence"? Like I said, I saw claims, not "evidence". For something to qualify as a superstition it has to be regarding an unproven force , such as a religion. Doubting claims has nothing to do with being a superstition.

"Modest doubt is called the beacon of the wise."
    --William Shakespeare

I didn't see from any of those other sites that make new tires (Goodyear, Michelin) claim that re-threads hold up as well as new tires WRT leaving rubber on the road.

-Don-

mrblanche

Then you didn't read enough, or, as one old quote says, "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."

In fact, the truck manager said that not only do retreads hold p as well as new tires, but they do it twice. Or did you not listen to it?

I don't mind discussing this sort of stuff, or any sort of stuff, with someone who has a willingness to learn. Apparently, you're as resistant to this particular fact as Gail is about your sexual preferences.

And, of course, like Gail, you're not alone. You were obviously told by someone that retreads were the cause of all that rubber on the road, and every one you saw, you were more convinced. Kind of like religion, it seems to me.

But the state of Virginia conducted a study of tire debris, and found only a very small amount of the tire debris was from retreads. Many companies use nothing but retreads on their trailers, and save millions of dollars per year. Werner Enterprises, for example, buys only new steer tires and new tires that come on their new trucks. Even their new trailers come with retreads that are supplied by Werner (by the trailer load!) to the trailer manufacturer. Everything else is retreaded, and this is common in the industry.

YOU may not be convinced. But you don't have any standing in the debate, do you?

By the way, a rule of thumb...if you see any wires sticking out of the piece of rubber on the road, it's not a retread.

DonTom

By the way, a rule of thumb...if you see any wires sticking out of the piece of rubber on the road, it's not a retread.

I have never noticed such "wires" in the rubber on the road, but I was never able to take a real close look at 70 MPH.

However, I should mention one thing here, which may put an end to this debate. I have NOT seen as much rubber on the road as I used to, even though there are MANY more vehicles on the roads these days.

Are the rethreads today, as well as the new tires a lot better built today than in the 1970's? I saw most of the loose rubber on the desert freeways in the summer, mostly in the 1970's. Then many people told me "rethreads are put on with heat and they are removed by heat as well". I have found no reason to doubt that.

But I also realize that tires which are NOT rethreads can fall apart. Many RV's have been destroyed by the steel belts that are used in tires that are not re-threads. These too leave rubber on the road. I also wonder if non-radial tires are a lot less likely to fall apart. I also wonder if radials are putting more of the rubber on the road these days than re-threads of the past.

BTW, my old RV (1978) does NOT have radial tires.

-Don-

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

[color=Red]I have never noticed such "wires" in the rubber on the road, but I was never able to take a real close look at 70 MPH.

Are the rethreads today, as well as the new tires a lot better built today than in the 1970's? I saw most of the loose rubber on the desert freeways in the summer, mostly in the 1970's. Then many people told me "rethreads are put on with heat and they are removed by heat as well". I have found no reason to doubt that.

But I also realize that tires which are NOT rethreads can fall apart. Many RV's have been destroyed by the steel belts that are used in tires that are not re-threads. These too leave rubber on the road. I also wonder if non-radial tires are a lot less likely to fall apart. I also wonder if radials are putting more of the rubber on the road these days than re-threads of the past.
    You will very clearly see the wires sticking out of the "gator" if you know to look for it. Remember, the retread adds ONLY rubber, no metal belts.

I suspect radials are worse about shedding the whole tread package, because it is attached to the steel belts, which are separate and over the radial plies.

Retreads are much better today than they were in 1970, but I still see plenty of rubber. But, since heat is the culprit in causing any tire to fail, summer is much worse for rubber in the road. That's why Ford, when they had their big Explorer problem, began the recalls in the south first.

There has been a lot of improvement of tires of all kinds, and especially truck tires, in the last 30 years.

By the way, the correct term is retread, not rethread.