Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should you change your oil?

Re: How often should you change your oil?

Reply to
    mrblanche-reply #18

>>>You need to either change to a synthetic or to an oil designed for diesel engines, such as Rotella T. Diesel
    oils are mainly available in 15-40, but that will work in your engine<<<

Are you kidding? Pay 6-7 bucks per quart of synthetic on a 30-yr old car? I don't think so. I have a "DNR"
    (Do Not Resuscitate) order on this car. What will be will be! Let it die in peace if need be. "let it go". Pennzoil
    30 wt is fine, thank you!.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I've read about this too. Do you know whether the problem affects roller cam OHV pushrod engines (for example, the current "Vortc" family of Chevy V-8s) and, if it's just a matter of older OHV engines with non-roller cams being affected, did the OEs update anything in their replacement lifter designs to deal with the issue?

As an aside: I only use Mobil 1 in my Trans-Am, which has those "bleed down" Rhoads lifters which help the engine maintain a decent idle/vacuum.
    The roller cams and lifters are the problem. They don't need the zinc and phosphorous modifiers, and those things can contribute to catalyst contamination, so that's why the oils have been changed. The old Pontiac needs better oil, though.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan
    Are you kidding? Pay 6-7 bucks per quart of synthetic on a 30-yr old car? I don't think so. I have a "DNR"
    (Do Not Resuscitate) order on this car. What will be will be! Let it die in peace if need be. "let it go". Pennzoil
    30 wt is fine, thank you!.
    But you can buy the Rotella T at Wal-Mart for about the same price as your current oil, and get better engine life for no added cost.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

[quote author The old Pontiac needs better oil, though.
    That's why it only gets Mobil 1 !

(And I change every four months or so, regardless of mileage; excessive, perhaps - but I 'd rather spend a bit more on oil than on a premature engine rebuild.)

DonTom

(And I change every four months or so, regardless of mileage;

Even if less than 50 miles on the oil? That happens with many of my vehicles because I own so many at two different houses.

BTW, my Yamaha Venture says to change the engine oil ever 18 months, regardless of mileage.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    (And I change every four months or so, regardless of mileage;

Even if less than 50 miles on the oil? That happens with many of my vehicles because I own so many at two different houses.

BTW, my Yamaha Venture says to change the engine oil ever 18 months, regardless of mileage.

-Don-

Well, I usually have at least a few hundred onthe clock!

But yes, it gets changed every four months (so three times a year) regardless of mileage.

DonTom

But yes, it gets changed every four months (so three times a year) regardless of mileage.

IMO, you're overdoing it! I would think twice a year would be enough, mainly because that's what I do with my many little used vehicles. ;D Perhaps four times per year (at least three) on the two most used vehicles.

Even my Yamaha Venture owner's manual says change the oil every 18 months, regardless of mileage!

And if it's not used much, I don't think much gasoline and other junk can get mixed in with the engine oil.

But I wanted your opinion on how often a vehicle should be driven and for how far, if it must be started just to get some use. My RV will sit here for several months out in the cold. I have a cover on it and the starting battery in the garage on a battery maintainer(I forgot about the two house batteries!) . I may not use it at all until February or March. I used to start it once in a while, until you mentioned it's probably best to not start if it cannot be driven. I was thinking it was good to get some oil into the engine and warm things up once in a while. Sometimes I would move it a few feet, just to put the weight (11,500 lbs) on a different part of the tires. But since the last time I was here, it won't be started again until we get past the worse part of the ice cold winter here. It's 20 degrees F here right now and will get colder.

But I am not asking about the RV, but other vehicles that are just sitting, such as my Jeep. It has not been used since early October. IYO, how often should I use it and for how far?

My Suzuki DR200SE and Yamaha Venture only gets used a few times in the summer and they both seem to hold up just fine. I don't do anything special to get them ready for the winter other than leave a battery maintainer on the batteries, still in the bike. These two bikes are all garaged here in NV, where it gets VERY cold in the winter. In SSF, I have a couple of (totally unused for three years) bikes in the garage there too, but the winter and summer is about the same temperature most of the time (sometimes the winter seems warmer than summer).

"My coldest winter ever was my summer in San Francisco"
    -Mark Twain

-Don Quoteman

Probably warranty reasons - because some people may assume they can drive for excessively long intervals/abuse the vehicle, etc. simply because they are "using synthetic."

As for the other stuff:

In a new engine, it's not good to use synthetic until the engine has been "broken in" - rings seated, etc. - and synthetic is so effective a lubricant it can interfere with this.

On older engines, the problem is that synthetic can worsen leaks due to aged/brittle gaskets, etc.

There is no question, though, that synthetics offer superior lubricating/protective qualities than conventional oil - as well a superior cold flow/high-temp/high-rpm characteristics.

You're right that it may be excessive for a car that's just driven "a" to "b" - but for any high-performance/high-load application, it's well worth the extra cost.

DonTom

There is no question, though, that synthetics offer superior lubricating/protective qualities than conventional oil - as well a superior cold flow/high-temp/high-rpm characteristics.

I think I will only be convinced when they run two engines with the same mileage each with a different oil and see if one lasts longer than the other.

I cannot be sure, but I don't think I have ever had an engine fail because of an oil related problem, except for perhaps one (see below). But, what would be a common oil related problem? Low oil pressure?

I had a car once (1984 Olds Cutless V-6) that had low oil pressure at almost 400K on the engine. I have my doubts if it would have made it to a half million miles if I used a different oil. This V-6 never had a single engine problem until then! It never had a taste of any synthetic oils.

I have yet to use a synthetic oil in any engine. I am hard to convince in my old age, with so many claims about how wonderful this and that works in a car engine (such as Slick 50 or the Tonado and countless other things).

-Don-

"]I think I will only be convinced when they run two engines with the same mileage each with a different oil and see if one lasts longer than the other."

It's been done, actually - and upon disassembly, the engine running synthetic showed less wear. There is also a fuel economy benefit - although slight - to running synthetic.

As an FYI - note that several high-end/exotic/high-perf. automobiles specify synthetics.

>>It's been done, actually - and upon disassembly, the engine running synthetic showed less wear. There is also a fuel economy benefit - although slight - to running synthetic. <<

Enough to offset the extra cost of the synthetic?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>It's been done, actually - and upon disassembly, the engine running synthetic showed less wear. There is also a fuel economy benefit - although slight - to running synthetic. <<

Enough to offset the extra cost of the synthetic?
    I dunno! Figure if you save a tank of fuel per year - then maybe it is!l

I use synthetic because I subject my vehicles to hard use; for a 12,000 RPM motorcycle, especially, I think it's crazy to not use the absolute best lubricants available....

I use synthetic because I subject my vehicles to hard use; for a 12,000 RPM motorcycle, especially, I think it's crazy to not use the absolute best lubricants available....
    I use synthetic in my Whizzer Motorbike--- Mainly because of the extra lube when cold and the 50W protection when hot. As far as the cars go, I could never tell any difference in gas mileage, and that oil would have to save at least 2 gallons per tank to make even a close equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose

I use synthetic in my Whizzer Motorbike--- Mainly because of the extra lube when cold and the 50W protection when hot. As far as the cars go, I could never tell any difference in gas mileage, and that oil would have to save at least 2 gallons per tank to make even a close equal.
    Yep; you're probably right about that!

DonTom

As an FYI - note that several high-end/exotic/high-perf. automobiles specify synthetics.

Even when they are new?

But I am more interested in "normal" vehicles, like the ones Tom & I own.

-Don-

>>Yep; you're probably right about that! <<

My big problem is that practicality overtook my thinking when I was very broke! When I became properly financed, practicality was too far embeded and still governs my actions.
    In other words, the day I could afford to pay cash for that Mercedes, I no longer desired it!

Staff

I have put Amsoil in my 2001 Saturn L100. I initially noticed a slight gain in gas mileage, but as the oil has worn, it is returning to normal.... Since I usually run synthetic, my oil changes occur when the oil change light comes on. If I was running regular straight oil, it'd be every 3000 miles.

I received several suggestions regarding motor oil for my 30-yr old Impala, among them, Synthetic, Rotella T,
    10W-30, 10W-40, Sae-30 wt. I think I'll stay with one of those latter three, preferably SAE 30. Thank you.

Larry T.

DonTom

I use synthetic because I subject my vehicles to hard use; for a 12,000 RPM motorcycle,

I am a 4,000 RPM motorcycle type of guy. IMO, the 12K RPM bikes sound like junk. But fast junk. You must be a speed freak.

I drive motorcycles like a little old lady. But I was more into touring. Now that Tom & I have our two doggies, the RV works better. And it runs about the same RPM's as our bikes. ;D

-Don-

Sport bikes (as I'm sure you know!) are very different animals from cruisers. 12,,000-15,000 RPM (or more!) redlines are common.

I'm both a speed freak and a "cornering freak" - meaning I like to roadrace and try to get in as many track days as I can, etc. Nothing like being at full lean, hanging off the bike, in a fast corner and hitting it all "just right"!

I'd love to regularly run in some WERA sanctioned amateur competition, but the time just isn't there for me right now and I have had to set priorities. This of course makes my wife very happy!

Still, I am looking to buy a bike for track-only service that I can set up for racing exlcusively. Right now I either have to "prep" mine - which is a big hassle, not to mention the risk of busting it up!