Thread: 2006 Dodge Charger R/T

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2006 Dodge Charger R/T

new car review: 2006 Dodge Charger R/T
    By Eric Peters
    for immediate release

Do a walk-around (or better yet, a test drive) of the Dodge Charger R/T and you'll come to understand why DaimlerChrysler isn't having any trouble selling its cars as fast as it can build them -- at a time when GM and Ford are desperately struggling just to stay in business.

Walk into your local Dodge store and for less than $30k ($29,320 to be precise) you could drive away in a ballsy-looking large sedan with an equally ballsy 340-hp V-8 engine (350, if you order the upgrade R/T Performance Group; more on that below) hooked to an immensely satisfying (and burnout friendly) rear-drive chassis. You'll also get 18-inch rims, traction/stability control, dual exhaust, sport suspension, performance-calibrated 5-speed automatic, leather trim, 276-watt, six speaker Boston Acoustics premium stereo, climate control AC and "multi-displacement" cylinder deactivation technology that increases fuel economy by as much as 20 percent (to a very respectable 17 city/25 highway, outstanding numbers for such a powerful -- and heavy -- large sedan).

Nothing else on the market gives you all these fine things -- at least, not for less than $30k.

The closest you might get are competitor models like GM's blandly-styled (and front-wheel-drive) Impala SS sedan. It's an ok car, but one with a lot less horsepower (just 303 from its 5.3 liter V-8) and nowhere near the curb appeal of the exuberantly muscular Charger -- which despite its four doors has managed to be favorably compared with two-door performance coupes like the Ford Mustang GT and Pontiac GTO.

It runs that hard -- and it looks that good.

Plus, you can take the family along for the ride.

The only other offering in this general class of vehicle (and price range) is the Ford Crown Vic and its more uptown cousin, the Mercury Grand Marquis. These longtime staples of the law-enforcement, taxi and Geritol set are also rear-wheel-drive, have standard 4.6 liter V-8s (albeit with 100 less horsepower than the Charger's hoof-stomping 5.7 liter Hemi) and are very roomy (six passenger vs. five for the Charger). But comparing the Vic to the Charger is sort of like expecting a long-retired Pro Bowler (grey at the temples, middle-aged spread around his middle) to heave himself off the sofa and do a 50-yard sprint against this year's 22-year-old Heisman Trophy winner.

Apples and oranges.

The Charger's pretty much in a class by itself, looks-wise, performance-wise and price-wise.

Need a muscle car?

Then stand on the brake and ease into the gas (traction control off, naturally). You'll feel the Hemi's torque (nearly 400 lbs.-ft.) assault the holding power of the rear discs, which very quickly give up the fight. Now it's up to you how long you want to smoke the tires -- because the Hemi has the grunt to shred them to their cases if you want to, digging little ruts into the road to mark the event, enshrouding you in a mushroom cloud of smoke. That's lots of fun -- but you'll save on tire replacement costs (and achieve the best 0-60 time) if you hold the engine against the brakes for just a moment before hammering the pedal to the floor, then side-stepping the brakes. Hold on tight as that long hood raises up and weight transfer does its thing; the rear wheels bite into the asphalt and the car surges forward accompanied by the bellowing fury of that Big Kahuna of an engine.

Less than six seconds later, you are at 60 mph -- which is quicker, by the way, than most of the classic-era two-door Chargers of the late 1960s and early 1970s. Bo and Luke might just consider trading up.

Keep your foot in it and quarter mile is done with in about 14.5 seconds -- again, as good or better performance than its muscle car forbears.

It'll probably jump better, too -- but I didn't test that.

For '06, you can up the ante beyond the already potent as-it-sits R/T with the $1,600 Road and Track Performance Group. A pair of rumbly-sounding low-restriction mufflers and revised air intake system are good for an extra 10 horsepower (350 vs. 340). The package also adds 18x7.5-inch rims, upgraded brakes and steering, a load leveling sport-tuned suspension system with larger front and rear anti-roll bars, plus a "high speed" engine controller that doesn't pull the plug on those lonesome road top-end runs -- so no more worry about getting away from Enos should the need arise.

If you want to relive the go-go Sixties, there's also a limited edition Daytona Package for $2,675 that starts with all the R/T Performance Group functional upgrades and adds retro-muscle car styling touches such as a matte black hood/decklid treatment with huge "Hemi" and "Daytona" decals -- finished off in "Top Banana" ultra-bright yellow or "GoManGo!" orange metallic paint.

Both the R/T Performance Group and Daytona package also get more supportive sport buckets and other interior cosmetic and exterior enhancements.

So effective is all this at ginning up the mystical muscle car ambiance that you almost forget the new Charger is a four-door sedan. It doesn't feel like one -- and it sure doesn't drive like one. And insofar as how it looks, Dodge has done amazing work here, too. The hunky lines and angry brow up front say "don't mess with me, city boy" as effectively as the absence of an extra pair of doors might on a lesser performance car.

And yet it does have four doors -- so it can serve as a family car -- something few other "attitude cars" can manage. Usually, it's either-or. You take your pick -- and you live with the compromises.

Not here.

All for less than $30k to start -- MSRP.

Now you know why Chrysler's doing ok. It's not about the unions; it's not about
    "unfair competition" from the imports. It's about ass-kicking, gotta-have cars that beat the daylights out of the rest of the pack, whether the measure is performance, price or good old-fashioned curb appeal.

It's as simple -- and as complicated -- as that.

END

jillsuncle

Re: 2006 Dodge Charger R/T

Help me!

You are considering purchasing a Chrylser? Ok none of us got it all together.
    You like UGLY cars. Flawed again. Your Hemi is manufactured in Mexico. A World leader in Quality Control.
    For UNDER 30 G's you get to charge down the byways of American and please reference the article on depreciation. Your Dodge will be scrap metal in 3 1/2 years. The best thing that can happen to you is if some crackhead to steal your Dodge. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    Help me!

You like UGLY cars. Flawed again. Your Hemi is manufactured in Mexico. A World leader in Quality Control.
    For UNDER 30 G's you get to charge down the byways of American and please reference the article on depreciation. Your Dodge will be scrap metal in 3 1/2 years. The best thing that can happen to you is if some crackhead to steal your Dodge. 8)
    Yes.. but it'll be FAST scrap metal!

Remember: In 1970, no one wanted those "ugly" Superbirds, either. They sat on dealer's lots for weeks and months, even with discounts. You could have picked one up for less than $4,000.....

jillsuncle

The Yellow and Black Striped R/T is in my rearview mirror and the driver is in denial.

It is a bit unfair. I have 100 more horses (440 at the wheel), than he does and my Mustang is sleek and shiny and not pathetically ugly like that beast. Hemi supercharge your ride and we'll go another round. Oh then you will be at 36K and I will be at 25K.

Some folks can't win??

Vroller ???

I drove the lo-po version of the Charger as a rental car a couple of months ago, and even the V-6 (250hp) was a decent drive.

Surprisingly, the car actually had some handling to it. I was expecting the typical American sloppy steering, and it just wasn't there. The acceleration good, but not pavement-smoking.

My main beefs with it were:
    1. The mirrors were too small. If you get the Hemi motor, you'll want bigger mirrors to watch for the police. Even in the V-6, they should have been bigger.
    2. The interior badly needed quality improvement -- the A/C directional vents were all broken at 9000 miles (this *was* a rental car), and the appearance was in the "rental car" category, too.
    3. There was a sharp edge on the doors where you grab them to stop them from swinging too wide as you get in/out. All they needed to do was roll the metal prior to applying the black trim decal on it to avoid this. Small details count.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

The problem with the R/T is that it governed to 126 mph, so it isn't particulary fast. Just quick. Thats why one will be in the rearview mirror of my next car.

I assume that you can go to the aftermarket to get that corrected.

I assume that you can go to the aftermarket to get that corrected.
    Hi Swamp,

Yep! (Many new cars have governed top ends; 155 being common among the German brands, for instance. But it's easy enough to correct that...)

D_E_Davis

It appears you don't care for the current round of Chrysler products(g) - OK, fair enough. But your slam at auto QC in Mexico is way off base. Chrysler isn't the only maker who sells vehicles here that have been built in Mexico, and their record for quality is no different than for cars assembled here in the states.

Staff

Mexico could make an engine or a car wtih teh quality of a Helzberg Diamond and I wouldn't buy it. (Although I may over look the Charger/Magnum Hemi)

It is wrong to exploit cheap labor for the purposes of saving $500 on a car. My next car will be built in a high wage country, preferably the United States.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Mexico could make an engine or a car wtih teh quality of a Helzberg Diamond and I wouldn't buy it. (Although I may over look the Charger/Magnum Hemi)

It is wrong to exploit cheap labor for the purposes of saving $500 on a car. My next car will be built in a high wage country, preferably the United States.
    I agree with this - in principle. But unless "we" (a majority of Americans) act on this impulse it's a futlie gesture (and "we" won't; "we" want cheaper goods - even if it means eviscerating the US manufacturing base and with it, the working middle class. So it's every man for himself...

jillsuncle

Robots in Mexico can beat the tolerances of hand-made Rolls Royces.

If I have offended anyone I apologize. I generally turn to Germany for Quality Control. I just can't afford their cars right now.

Vman :-[

Robots in Mexico can beat the tolerances of hand-made Rolls Royces.

If I have offended anyone I apologize. I generally turn to Germany for Quality Control. I just can't afford their cars right now.

Vman :-[
    My own view is it's less a quality issue than an issue of depressing U.S. wages without a commensurate reduction in either corporate profits or a reduction in the cost of the finished product. That is, a vehicle produced in Mexico by labor that is half-priced relative to American labor isn't discounted to reflect the lower manufacturing costs, relative to a similar vehicle built here. So the money saved by closing the US plants and getting rid of American workers goes directly into the pockets of the company and its shareholders. We lose jobs - and the cars are just as expensive to buy as they were before/otherwise, etc.

Now, if they dropped the price on cars built using low-cost foreign labor (or which are cheaper to build because of lower/nonexistent environmental/worker safety compliance costs i n foreign countries) it would arguably be a not-bad thing for the US economy, since the US workers who bought the cars saved money and thus were more economically secure. But the danger is we're "outsourcing" jobs/manufacturing (cars being just one example) and leaving Americans with lower-paid jobs having to tread water or sink attempting to maintain the status quo standard of living.

That is bad for the country, I think - whether you're working class, middle class or (even and including) affluent. A stable middle/working class is an important component ot economic/social stability. The more the country slides toward a situation where there are a relative few extremely powerful/rich and ever growing class of economically insecure "proles," the closer we get to banana republic-ism (or worse).