Thread: Some bikes (other than the Rex!) I like...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Some bikes (other than the Rex!) I like...

If I could have any five new bikes, these would be on the list:

* Aprilia RSV1000 Tuono R "factory" (MSRP: $17,999) This gorgeous "naked" version (minimal plastic fairing) of the race-winning Aprilia Mille Supersport boasts an ultra-lightweight aluminum and silicon alloy frame, fuel-injected, 60-degree V-twin engine and a unique Pneumatic Power Clutch (PPC) that prevents rear wheel bounce when you downshift quickly in a corner or when you close the throttle rapidly under hard braking. (See http://www.aprilia.com/portale/eng/home.phtml)

* Moto Guzzi MSG-01 Corsa (MSRP: $24,990) Just a handful of these ultra-exotics factory street/race bikes will ever make it to the U.S. market. Armed with an air-cooled 1256 cc 90-degree V-twin engine and Cosworth triple ring racing pistons pumping 122-hp to a six-speed transmission, the "Corsa" slows down for nobody. (See http://www.motoguzzi.it/ )

* Kawasaki ZX-6R/RR (MSRP $11,899-$12,199) At the top of the 600 cc sport bike class is the Ninja ZX-6R, which has an engine that actually displaces a class-leading 636 cc's. This bike is one of the quickest "all-out" street legal sport bikes you can buy -- at any price. Features include a "slipper" clutch designed for high-speed work and a close-ratio six speed racing transmission on the RR model. (See http://www.kawasaki.com )

* BMW K1200S (MSRP $15,900) With 167-hp on tap, BMW's ultimate open-class sport bike can reach 60-mph in 2.8 seconds and has a top speed of more than triple the double nickel at the 11,500 RPM redline. It's also a technological tour-de-force, with electric-adjustable suspension, anti-lock brakes and shaft drive instead of a chain and sprockets -- for smooth power delivery and no worries about adjusting the slack, ever. (See www.bmwmotorcycles.com)

* Buell Lightning XB9SX (MSRP $8,695 ) An American company is finally building credible sport bikes that can hang with the big boys from Japan and Italy. Buell's latest is the XB9SX sport-tourer; it features a 92-hp, 984 cc "Thunderstorm" V-twin, 17-inch Pirelli Scorpion Sync tires -- and unique translucent "Hero Blue" bodywork that's sure to draw an admiring crowd. (See /www.buell.com/en_us/home.asp )

What do you think?

Re: Some bikes (other than the Rex!) I like...

Eric
    Have you owned a Rex or do you have one stored away soemwhere?

I know of a restored one in Melbourne...owne by friend of mine

Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Some bikes (other than the Rex!) I like...

Yes - I own one I've restored cosmetically as well as functionally; some of the pics of my engine upgrade - 1015 cc big bore kit, high CR pistons, etc. have been posted here; see also my '03 ZRX1200!