Thread: FYI - re CS/NS forums

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

FYI - re CS/NS forums

Just wanted to give a heads-up to those of who came here from the CS/NS Autos forum:

Got an e-mail today from them about the old forum and my lettingpeople there know about this site; they're not happy - but I was very up fron with them from the time they cancelled my contract/went with blogs - very specifically, about the fact that I could no longer provide them with my columns since to do so amounted to me working for them - for free.

Anyhow, I get the impression they may now shut down what's left of the old forum completely and I wanted to give all of you who used to be involved a heads-up...

-Eric

JohnB

Re: FYI - re CS/NS forums

No surprise there... some people got shut off from CMF by being outspoken about the new crap.

They probably won't shut it down, too much past traffic. They may give it to some fair hair boy to run.

I guess we'll see!

I e-mailed them and was very polite but told them (as I had previously) that I didn't see how the forum could continue without new content/updates and some active promotion/tie-in to the NS/CS channels. I told them that I felt obliged to tell posters what had been happening - and why the page was not being updated and where I'd gone.

I left it in their court - and told them, moreover, that the recent actions were pretty clear indicators that they didn't really care about the forum(s) or communities much anymore - and so why even worry about it?

Truth be told, this is turning out ok as far as I'm concerned. This forum's already more active/vibrant - and it has more potential, too. We can do things here that were impossible in the old forum - and we have total control over what occurs (which by itself is a huge plus).

The death of a thousand cuts is over - and at this point, I'm not sad that's what's happened...

As JB suggests, no real surprise about that. The remarkable thing is that the warning did not come sooner.

I will hate to see the old forum go if only for the sake of nostalgia; I've been around since the beginning some 15 years ago.

FWIS, getting to this site is a slow trip and I'm pretty sure that it is not from my end.

Yep - see the post I just left for John B...

As for the "slows" - dunno why/what's causing that. I get here immediately; no fuss, no muss... but I will check into it...

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    FWIS, getting to this site is a slow trip and I'm pretty sure that it is not from my end.
    No problems here - of all the fora I visit regularly, this is one of the fastest.

Same here - ood to knowit's working well for others, too!

JDM said: I've been around since the beginning some 15 years ago.

Yes but it was more fun when Shel Hall was around - too bad it got ruined.

Hi Jack,

That was before my time; never knew Shel but I gather from people's comments he was a good guy... at any rate, I'm trying to make the best of the situation given what's happened. The one thing we have here insofar as an advantage goes is we won't get screwed by CS or anyone else - except ourselves!

Thanks,
    Eric

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by jdm
    That i can't figure, like most all here I get in at once.

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

That i can't figure, like most all here I get in at once.

It's fast for me too. No probs. But we must remember that JDM disassembles PCs in order to make them work better. Oops...

I used to do that... now I stick with old Japo bikes instead!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack
    it was more fun when Shel Hall was around - too bad it got ruined.

I too enjoyed those days... and before, when the internet was quite different, and people wrote about things in a manner which usually required spelling and paragraphs. But I'll end up sounding like an OF and I'm only 55yrs.

Last I heard Judy G Russell was battling breast cancer, and recently Jan mel Poller was advocating for Israel in the AOL forum. John Murff has been around through thick and thin too. He visited here last year with his daughter, which was great. He still regrets selling the Ducati 900 whch 'followed him home' on day back around 1998...
    Remember Joe Woods? He died suddenly at 59yrs., not long after leaving CServe c2001.

Well, for what it's worth, it's a pleasant 10C here in NZ. Sounds very damn warm up in the US and Europe!

Morning!

We managed 90-something degrees here in the mountains of rural SW Va. yesterday - which is scorching given the elevation (appx. 3,400 ft.).

I turned on the house AC for the first time this year... .