Thread: DESERT DRIVING

gail

DESERT DRIVING

Today I'll go out on the open road through the desert. The posted speed limit is 70, and everyone drives that speed - un-huh - The road is straight, giving view to words of a song - "ribbon of highway." Usually the traffic flows 80-90-100. All sounds good, except for the endless construction and orange barrels. Posted, of course, at 45. Where are the workers? Does anyone know? Methinks this is an attempt at speed control. The lower the posted speed limit, without seeming a purpose, the more motorists will ignore the caution.

We, who drive a reasonable and with prudent speed are weary of arbitrarily set speed limits. We want traffic engineers to practice their trade and set speed limits using sound engineering principles. To do this they know that they have to take the speed design of the road, then conduct a speed study, remove obstacles , conduct a speed study of the flow of traffic and THEN set limits accordingly.

The legislators must learn to allow traffic engineers to practice their trade and give them their due, without grand-standing or 'knee-jerk ' reactions to unrelated incidences.

When I return this evening I will share some "knee-jerk" stories. I will be watching to read the ones that you post.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: DESERT DRIVING

Yep - well-said!

I recently drove to Richmond from Roanoke on I-81 and I-64; cruising speed was in the 80-85 mph range (posted 65 mph limit). Traffic flowed smoothly and everyone seemed quite comfortable... the only time things got dicey was when a car up ahead slowed because a lurking cop was spotted...!

There are some freeways around here that have been lowered to 55 from 65 for no apparent reason. No construction, nothing. Yet there are officers swarming these zones. I know of one area where the limit went from 65 to 50.

I've done deserts at warp speed. Absolutely nothing out there and easy to see for miles around. Yet there are people I know who have been nailed for as little as 5 MPH over by overzealous officers out to make quota.

On the 15 between Victorville and Barstow I watched a low profile state trooper camp out and deliberately block the far left lane, effectively playing lane monitor. An out of state black Mercedes roared up from the rear and attempted to pass him on the right until the driver saw the marking on the side door and backed off. Too late; the trooper moved in for the kill with lights blazing.

I was recently written up for the heinous crime of 75 in a 65 despite the fact that others were going faster than me. He gave me the usual lecture about how I was being a menace to society and he was doing it for my "safety" since he had to tend to many accidents. :

I never did have a chance to fight the ticket because the court wasn't ready to prosecute when I appeared and they (still) refuse to dismiss it despite the fact that they never received the officer's correction (more like correctionS but the court clerks don't know about the other mistakes) and it has been now about 4 months since getting the ticket.

My folks live in AZ, so I get to drive out there ocasionally and have noticed that enforcement in AZ seems to be at present more aggressive than here in VA. On I-81, I routinely cruise at 80-something (as does a majority of traffic) and the cops don't appear to be an issue unless you're going considerably faster.

I remember the pre-1995 days when this same highway was posted 65 and vigorously enforced. I got several "reckless driving" charges for the heinous crime of doing 76-80 mph... (in VA, they can write you for "reckless" merely for doing more than 20 mph above the posted limit, irrspective of whether your driving was actually dangerous. The idiocy of this policy is apparent today - since with the higher - 65 mph - limit - almost all the traffic is now doing 70-something, even the "slow movers." Under the old regime, nineout of ten drtivers on the the road today would be tchnically guilty of "reckless driving."

It's nuts.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    My folks live in AZ, so I get to drive out there ocasionally and have noticed that enforcement in AZ seems to be at present more aggressive than here in VA.
    That's a surprising remark. I-10 is posted 75, I run an indicated 80, and while doing so have been passed by DPS cruisers or have passed them. It appears to me that only those running 90+ are getting stopped. Now, a few towns (Scottsdale near Phoenix and Oro Valley near Tucson) have a reputation for being hard-a** but those are exceptions.

There you have it - "Scottsdale"!

That's where my folks live - and the cops are ubiquitous. They even got my Dad - who is the quintessential "old fart" who rarely, if ever, drives more than a few MPH over the limit. But they got him, too....

Today I'll go out on the open road through the desert. The posted speed limit is 70, and everyone drives that speed

Hmmm..... sounds like highway driving to me. Our desert tracks are probably driveable at less than 70KMH and in 4WD for most of it. ;D

HooRoo!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Hmmm..... sounds like highway driving to me. Our desert tracks are probably driveable at less than 70KMH and in 4WD for most of it. ;D
    Desert driving and desert tracks are two different things. Many (but not all) are labeled on the maps as 4WD only, etc. One is named "Jornado del Diablo", and it lives up to it's name.

Desert driving and desert tracks are two different things. Many (but not all) are labeled on the maps as 4WD only, etc. One is named "Jornado del Diablo", and it lives up to it's name.

I read a story about that one once! Involved two guys on dual-sport dirt bikes without GPS.....!@

gail

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    My folks live in AZ, so I get to drive out there occasionally and have noticed that enforcement in AZ seems to be at present more aggressive than here in VA.
    That's a surprising remark. I-10 is posted 75, I run an indicated 80, and while doing so have been passed by DPS cruisers or have passed them. It appears to me that only those running 90+ are getting stopped. Now, a few towns (Scottsdale near Phoenix and Oro Valley near Tucson) have a reputation for being hard-a** but those are exceptions.

It is easy to get confused in the desert - with that said, I was somewhere between Texas and California, but believe that I was in Arizona tooling along somewhere about 100, give or take a mile or two. I was heading west, and I saw a Black & White heading east (hmmm - that is a clue as to which state I was in), in my rear-view mirror I saw the cop flip-flop. Well, I said a few unprintable words and slowed down to 90 without braking (dead give-away of guilt), suddenly a white SUV blew by me like I was standing still, and a few seconds later, so did the cop. So it was my impression that 90 - 100 was OK, whatever speed the other guy was achieving wasn't. The posted limit was 70.

My experience of driving in the desert -- from Las Vegas to Las Angeles -- you are pretty much ignored. One exception - California drivers coming into Las Vegas. i guess the cops think they are easy pickings.

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by gail

It is easy to get confused in the desert - with that said, I was somewhere between Texas and California, but believe that I was in Arizona tooling along somewhere about 100, give or take a mile or two. I was heading west, and I saw a Black & White heading east (hmmm - that is a clue as to which state I was in), in my rear-view mirror I saw the cop flip-flop. Well, I said a few unprintable words and slowed down to 90 without braking (dead give-away of guilt), suddenly a white SUV blew by me like I was standing still, and a few seconds later, so did the cop. So it was my impression that 90 - 100 was OK, whatever speed the other guy was achieving wasn't. The posted limit was 70.

My experience of driving in the desert -- from Las Vegas to Las Angeles -- you are pretty much ignored. One exception - California drivers coming into Las Vegas. i guess the cops think they are easy pickings.
    Nope, not in AZ - the DPS cars are nearly all white. Probably NM, which agrees with the posted limit of 70 - AZ has 75 posted on the rural interstate.

As far as the CA drivers - so very many spot Stateline, and just can't wait to lose their money that they just can't dream of slowing once they hit the Lost Wages limits. So, they get to pay the piper.

gail

Nope, not in AZ - the DPS cars are nearly all white. Probably NM, which agrees with the posted limit of 70 - AZ has 75 posted on the rural interstate.

As far as the CA drivers - so very many spot Stateline, and just can't wait to lose their money that they just can't dream of slowing once they hit the Lost Wages limits. So, they get to pay the piper.

I thought that they thought that the slots we run dry before they arrived. LOL

gail

[br] Actually, if the speed limit was 70, and you saw black and whites (sounds like Texas DPS), you were probably in El Paso County, Texas. I've done the drive down I-10 many a time, and both AZ and NM are posted at 75, CA is 70, El Paso County in TX is 70, with the next 400 miles or so posted at 80 (!). If you ever have the chance, take a side trip on to a rural West Texas highway, in one of the counties where the interstate is posted at 80 - even the 2 lanes are posted at 75 out there!

- Sriram

gail

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMeosh

[br] Actually, if the speed limit was 70, and you saw black and whites (sounds like Texas DPS), you were probably in El Paso County, Texas. I've done the drive down I-10 many a time, and both AZ and NM are posted at 75, CA is 70, El Paso County in TX is 70, with the next 400 miles or so posted at 80 (!). If you ever have the chance, take a side trip on to a rural West Texas highway, in one of the counties where the interstate is posted at 80 - even the 2 lanes are posted at 75 out there!

- Sriram
    My kind of place! I haven't been in Texas since 80 was posted, but I'm mighty proud of them. Back in the 90s I was the Texas State Chapter Coordinator for Texas with National Motorists Association. Mighty good people that live there. I lobbied to keep the speed limit pre-NMSL, rather than the legislators changing it to 55, I promised them that I would get a repeal. They believed me, and I did!

Larry Combest and his transportation staffer sponsored the bill in the House. It surprised everyone, but me, that the bill sailed through the House with a majority of 429.

Yep, I'm proud of Texas, and I hope to return one day.

Gail Morrison, Former NMA Lobbyist & NMSL Slayer
    Las Vegas, NV