Thread: Double Right Turn Lanes & Mindless Drones.

Double Right Turn Lanes & Mindless Drones.

OK. I've had it. Something needs to be done.

I had another close call with some mindless drone in a minivan who couldn't bother to see the four signs and multiple lane markings indicating that two lanes were for right turns. I was in the left lane, which could either go left or right. As I made my turn, the minivan on my right attempted to drift over and I was almost sideswiped. The driver didn't notice me until I honked and she swerved over. Upset, she furiously honked back and flashed her lights before again attempting to move all the way over to the left.

This is not the first time I have had close calls like that. I now fear ending up in the outer right turn pocket because of ignorant motorists who feel that they have to immediately veer to the leftmost lane upon turning right.

Is it even a good idea to have multiple turning lanes if drivers are too stupid to recognize that they might have company on their sides?

Then there is the confusion over the legality of turning right against the red when one is in the outer lane. I have had friends freak out over me turning on a red when I was in the outer lane marked for right turning. Apparently they believe that only cars closest to the curb could turn on a red (of course, after stopping and when the coast is clear).

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Double Right Turn Lanes & Mindless Drones.

Yes!

And the absolute WORST part is these "drones" actually believe THEY are in the right - and that you are the "reckless," "rude" driver... they get incredibly self-righteous. It's just unbelievable - and due, entirely, to the near-absence of anything like proper driver training and licensing tests. Any imbecile can (and does) get a license in this country. The spread of ability/skill out there is really amazing. It runs the gamut from the very good to the horrifically inept. With a solid percentage falling into the "marginally competent" category. I have no doubt that if licensing requirements such as are in force in Germany were adopted here, more than a third of all currently licensed drivers would flunk.

But what can we do....?

D_E_Davis

OK. I've had it. Something needs to be done.

You're right, but it will be a long and painful process, with lots of crumpled metal to mark our progress(g). Seriously, though, it appears to me that having the dashed lane markings all the way through the intersection does help many drivers from wandering during the turn.

I had another close call with some mindless drone in a minivan who couldn't bother to see the four signs and multiple lane markings indicating that two lanes were for right turns.

Very close here there is an intersection that is five lanes across on the southbound side - 2 right turn, 3 left, and the center may go straight as well. You should see some of the antics that occur there.

Then there is the confusion over the legality of turning right against the red when one is in the outer lane.

That might change depending on the law of that particular state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

The cure for all of this is to tighten up driver licensing requirements - with both written and "road" tests that weed out the inept/dangerous and send them back to school - or to the bus station for a season pass!