Thread: Made in America?

Made in America?

I live in NZ and yesterday I bought two excellent-looking V-rated tires from a Goodyear dealer. They are named "Sava Intensa" and have the words "Made in New Zealand" on the sidewall. 195/60R15 88V.

There is only one tire factory in NZ and as far as I know it only makes economy tires, and is about to change into a warehouse operation for tires from cheaper labor countries. 'Sava' is a brand in Croatia, which Goodyear bought in 2004.

Would Goodyear be cynical enough to import tires from Croatia, or Asia with "Made in [country-of-sale]' on the side?

Is it legal to say 'Made in America' if some of the manufacturing process, if not all, takes place in Asia or Eastern Europe?

With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Made in America?

With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?
    Hi Rob,

I'm no lawyer, but it seems like misrepresentation at the least (and fraud at the worst) to make patently untrue statements about a product's country of manufacturer. Of course, law in your part o the world hasits own sets of rules, so you'd need to ask a local barrister familiar with consumer law, etc.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

it seems like misrepresentation at the least (and fraud at the worst) to make patently untrue statements about a product's country of manufacturer. Of course, law in your part o the world hasits own sets of rules, so you'd need to ask a local barrister familiar with consumer law, etc.

-Eric
    It's legal [here in NZ at least] to take manufactured wool-weave and export it to China, have it tailored into a suit, import it back here, and sell it with a 'Made in New Zealand' label.
    The equivalent would be, in the case of these 'Sava' brand tires, to manufacture the rubber compounds in the local NZ factory and use a mould from the Slovenian factory, but I suspect the whole process was done overseas.
    Possibly they apply some inconsequential part of the manufacturing in NZ.
    I care only inasmuch I want transparency, and a good product.

Call me skeptical.

The real question, Eric, is, "Would the bosses of Goodyear in Akron, Ohio, sell a product made in, say, China or India, in America, if the only part of the product made in America was the label"?

Also, is a Honda 'Made in America' if the engine is made in Mexico, the gearbox in Japan, the tires in Indonesia and the steel pressings in China... and all put together in Mississippi?

Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    The real question, Eric, is, "Would the bosses of Goodyear in Akron, Ohio, sell a product made in, say, China or India, in America, if the only part of the product made in America was the label"?
    I think the answer is yes - if it were technicallly legal to do so - and if they figured no one would notice.

So much for 'brand loyalty'!

So much for 'brand loyalty'!
    My attitude toward corporations is simple: They are loyal to the bottom line; I am loyal to my own best interests. I harbor no illusions about coporations being "on our side" or "friends of the consumer."

larryflew

not sure what the current laws are but back when (30 years) I was doing mfg rep work it was 51%. Had to be 51% of both or equivilant like 40% of parts and 100% assembly or 100% parts but 80% assembled elseware.

Larry/MN

Quote Originally Posted by larryflew
    not sure what the current laws are but back when (30 years) I was doing mfg rep work it was 51%. Had to be 51% of both or equivilant like 40% of parts and 100% assembly or 100% parts but 80% assembled elseware.

Larry/MN
    ... today's it's probably something extra cheesy, like a percentage of raw material or something along those lines. If that...!

gail

I live in NZ and yesterday I bought two excellent-looking V-rated tires from a Goodyear dealer. They are named "Sava Intensa" and have the words "Made in New Zealand" on the sidewall. 195/60R15 88V.

There is only one tire factory in NZ and as far as I know it only makes economy tires, and is about to change into a warehouse operation for tires from cheaper labor countries. 'Sava' is a brand in Croatia, which Goodyear bought in 2004.

Would Goodyear be cynical enough to import tires from Croatia, or Asia with "Made in [country-of-sale]' on the side?

Is it legal to say 'Made in America' if some of the manufacturing process, if not all, takes place in Asia or Eastern Europe?

The Made in America is ambiguous. One must remember that Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico are all part of North America, and any products made in these places can be said to have been Made in America. Also, Central and South America can also lay claim to the this title. Most people automatically assume that if it says 'Made in America,' that it means Made in the USA and it doesn't, Another fact is if any part of the item was produced in America they can lay to this misleading title.

gail

The Made in America is ambiguous. One must remember that Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico are all part of North America, and any products made in these places can be said to have been Made in America. Also, Central and South America can also lay claim to the this title. Most people automatically assume that if it says 'Made in America,' that it means Made in the USA and it doesn't, Another fact is if any part of the item was produced in America they can lay to this misleading title.

gail

I was not aware of this ... jeezy peasy. It's cheesier than I thought!

jillsuncle

If you insist on buying rubber from Akron Ohio I call your bet, and go - All-IN! It a'int happen'. We don't have American people at my job much less American cars.