Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Made in America?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Made in America?

    I live in NZ and yesterday I bought two excellent-looking V-rated tires from a Goodyear dealer. They are named "Sava Intensa" and have the words "Made in New Zealand" on the sidewall. 195/60R15 88V.

    There is only one tire factory in NZ and as far as I know it only makes economy tires, and is about to change into a warehouse operation for tires from cheaper labor countries. 'Sava' is a brand in Croatia, which Goodyear bought in 2004.

    Would Goodyear be cynical enough to import tires from Croatia, or Asia with "Made in [country-of-sale]' on the side?

    Is it legal to say 'Made in America' if some of the manufacturing process, if not all, takes place in Asia or Eastern Europe?

    With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: Made in America?



    With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?
    Hi Rob,

    I'm no lawyer, but it seems like misrepresentation at the least (and fraud at the worst) to make patently untrue statements about a product's country of manufacturer. Of course, law in your part o the world hasits own sets of rules, so you'd need to ask a local barrister familiar with consumer law, etc.

    -Eric

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: Made in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric


    it seems like misrepresentation at the least (and fraud at the worst) to make patently untrue statements about a product's country of manufacturer. Of course, law in your part o the world hasits own sets of rules, so you'd need to ask a local barrister familiar with consumer law, etc.

    -Eric
    It's legal [here in NZ at least] to take manufactured wool-weave and export it to China, have it tailored into a suit, import it back here, and sell it with a 'Made in New Zealand' label.
    The equivalent would be, in the case of these 'Sava' brand tires, to manufacture the rubber compounds in the local NZ factory and use a mould from the Slovenian factory, but I suspect the whole process was done overseas.
    Possibly they apply some inconsequential part of the manufacturing in NZ.
    I care only inasmuch I want transparency, and a good product.

    Call me skeptical.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: Made in America?

    The real question, Eric, is, "Would the bosses of Goodyear in Akron, Ohio, sell a product made in, say, China or India, in America, if the only part of the product made in America was the label"?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: Made in America?

    Also, is a Honda 'Made in America' if the engine is made in Mexico, the gearbox in Japan, the tires in Indonesia and the steel pressings in China... and all put together in Mississippi?

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: Made in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    The real question, Eric, is, "Would the bosses of Goodyear in Akron, Ohio, sell a product made in, say, China or India, in America, if the only part of the product made in America was the label"?
    I think the answer is yes - if it were technicallly legal to do so - and if they figured no one would notice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,934

    Re: Made in America?

    So much for 'brand loyalty'!

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: Made in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    So much for 'brand loyalty'!
    My attitude toward corporations is simple: They are loyal to the bottom line; I am loyal to my own best interests. I harbor no illusions about coporations being "on our side" or "friends of the consumer."

  9. #9
    larryflew
    Guest

    Re: Made in America?

    not sure what the current laws are but back when (30 years) I was doing mfg rep work it was 51%. Had to be 51% of both or equivilant like 40% of parts and 100% assembly or 100% parts but 80% assembled elseware.

    Larry/MN

  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: Made in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by larryflew
    not sure what the current laws are but back when (30 years) I was doing mfg rep work it was 51%. Had to be 51% of both or equivilant like 40% of parts and 100% assembly or 100% parts but 80% assembled elseware.

    Larry/MN
    ... today's it's probably something extra cheesy, like a percentage of raw material or something along those lines. If that...!

  11. #11
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Made in America?

    Quote Originally Posted by robmcg
    I live in NZ and yesterday I bought two excellent-looking V-rated tires from a Goodyear dealer. They are named "Sava Intensa" and have the words "Made in New Zealand" on the sidewall. 195/60R15 88V.

    There is only one tire factory in NZ and as far as I know it only makes economy tires, and is about to change into a warehouse operation for tires from cheaper labor countries. 'Sava' is a brand in Croatia, which Goodyear bought in 2004.

    Would Goodyear be cynical enough to import tires from Croatia, or Asia with "Made in [country-of-sale]' on the side?

    Is it legal to say 'Made in America' if some of the manufacturing process, if not all, takes place in Asia or Eastern Europe?

    With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?
    The Made in America is ambiguous. One must remember that Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico are all part of North America, and any products made in these places can be said to have been Made in America. Also, Central and South America can also lay claim to the this title. Most people automatically assume that if it says 'Made in America,' that it means Made in the USA and it doesn't, Another fact is if any part of the item was produced in America they can lay to this misleading title.

    gail

  12. #12
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917

    Re: Made in America?



    With worldwide corporations like Goodyear becoming ever more global, are there any rules here?
    The Made in America is ambiguous. One must remember that Canada, the United States of America, and Mexico are all part of North America, and any products made in these places can be said to have been Made in America. Also, Central and South America can also lay claim to the this title. Most people automatically assume that if it says 'Made in America,' that it means Made in the USA and it doesn't, Another fact is if any part of the item was produced in America they can lay to this misleading title.

    gail

    I was not aware of this ... jeezy peasy. It's cheesier than I thought!

  13. #13
    jillsuncle
    Guest

    Re: Made in America?

    If you insist on buying rubber from Akron Ohio I call your bet, and go - All-IN! It a'int happen'. We don't have American people at my job much less American cars.

Similar Threads

  1. Demand made in USA
    By swamprat in forum Secession Talk
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2009, 07:24 AM
  2. Made in China = CRAP
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 12:41 PM
  3. How cars used to be made
    By chiph in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2008, 02:15 PM
  4. Home made jet engine
    By Eric in forum Grouch's Garage
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
  5. Man-made ice in summer...
    By mrblanche in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-17-2007, 08:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •