Thread: Pontiac 455

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Pontiac 455

Here's a shot of the engine compartment of my '76 Trans-Am; the engine's a 455 V-8 with stock 6X heads (some port work done), 280 degree cam with Rhoads lifters and 1.65 ratio rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake and re-jetted Quadrajet carb. The shaker has been opened up to take in air from outside and the exhaust is comprised of reproduction Ram Air III castr iron "headers" with 2.5 inch pipes. Stock HEI ignitionhas been replaced with an MSD unit.

SCRAMbler

Re: Pontiac 455

Need more pics of your T/A. Are they anywhere on this site (including info about your mods)?
    SCRambler

Quote Originally Posted by SCRAMbler
    Need more pics of your T/A. Are they anywhere on this site (including info about your mods)?
    SCRambler
    I've been meaning to post a few; bad weather outside has kept the car inside! But I promise to get to it in the next day or so - hopefully, tomorrow. We have a local "cruise night" and weather-permitting I plan to be there...

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Here's a shot of the engine compartment of my '76 Trans-Am; the engine's a 455 V-8 with stock 6X heads (some port work done), 280 degree cam with Rhoads lifters and 1.65 ratio rocker arms, Edelbrock Performer intake and re-jetted Quadrajet carb. The shaker has been opened up to take in air from outside and the exhaust is comprised of reproduction Ram Air III castr iron "headers" with 2.5 inch pipes. Stock HEI ignitionhas been replaced with an MSD unit.
    I like it. What kind of performance benefits do you get from the MSD unit? What type of transmission do you have in it?

I have always liked that engine as well.

If I ran into one, I'd like to have a Firebird styled like the gold 1974 Espirit with the 400 engine that James Garner drove on the Rockford Files. It was a beautiful car as well.

The MSD offers a couple of benefits - hotter spark, for one. Also, it has a built-in (and adjustable) rev limiter, so no worries about grenading the engine (a real concern with long stroke engines like the 455, which doesn't appreciate more than about 5,700 RPM with stock rods).

The transmission currently in the car s a modified THM2004-R (4-speed overdrive with lock-up converter). It provides great off-the-line/quarter-mile acceleration (it'll bark the tires on both th 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts) as well as easy highway cruising, thanks to the steep overdrive ratio in fourth - even with 3.90 gears out back.

Gold is a great color for the second generation Firebirds; I had a friend who owned a one of three built 1970 RA III 400 Formula with 3-speed transmission in that color - beautiful car.

Mine's Carousel Red - a bright red orange color that also really works on this car. It's a rare color, too - only available in '76 and 1980. I've never actually come across another one in the flesh - though I've seen them in magazines, etc. Another very rare color is Goldenrod Yellow - another '76 hue that I believe was only offered that one year.

Staff

Eric -

I forgot to ask if you have the original 100 mph speedometer unit or did you replace it with the 160 mph version that was available in 1974 only?

Just thought I'd ask.

it'll bark the tires on both th 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts
    Aren't you worried about losing traction when it does that?

A friend has a Mach One Mustang, and went with an Art Carr C6 (vs. a rebuilt stock tranny) because it wouldn't bark the tires. Yes, there's some slippage inside, but it's much less than what you'd get from the tires. Smoother is better (I think!)

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Eric -

I forgot to ask if you have the original 100 mph speedometer unit or did you replace it with the 160 mph version that was available in 1974 only?

Just thought I'd ask.

Yep - I have a 160 speedo i n the car (and the original speedo in a box). Nothing I'v done to the car couldn't be undone with wrenches and a couple hours' time!

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    it'll bark the tires on both th 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts
    Aren't you worried about losing traction when it does that?

A friend has a Mach One Mustang, and went with an Art Carr C6 (vs. a rebuilt stock tranny) because it wouldn't bark the tires. Yes, there's some slippage inside, but it's much less than what you'd get from the tires. Smoother is better (I think!)

Chip H.
    That's a big part of the fun! It will get sideways in a very big way if you really hit it; but I know the car and can modulate it (and know what to expect when it does break lose).

I like the animal wildness of a real-deal muscle car. It's not just the power - it's the uncontrolled/potentially dangerous power that defines a muscle car. The new ones are too sanitized and civilized - as quick as they are.