Thread: The dangers of two wheels

The dangers of two wheels

I got a flat tire while mountain biking this past Wednesday, and had to push it back to the car (I didn't have a spare tube or patch kit, or a pump with me). In the process of discovering the flat, I got this injury (the front wheel went to the right, I went to the left into a rocky hillside).

Too big for a band-aid, too small for the emergency room...

While I was driving home afterwards, I was passed at high speed (I was already doing 85mph, and had my bloody leg ready as an excuse for the officer) by a man on a Honda CBR whose sole protective gear was his helmet. No boots, no leather jacket, no jeans even (as if jeans would help him in the event of a wreck.) I wanted to catch up with him and show him my leg saying "this is what you get at 5mph -- imagine what it would have been like at 95."

Part of getting your motorcycle license ought to include spending an evening at the local emergency room.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: The dangers of two wheels

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I got a flat tire while mountain biking this past Wednesday, and had to push it back to the car (I didn't have a spare tube or patch kit, or a pump with me). In the process of discovering the flat, I got this injury (the front wheel went to the right, I went to the left into a rocky hillside).

Too big for a band-aid, too small for the emergency room...

While I was driving home afterwards, I was passed at high speed (I was already doing 85mph, and had my bloody leg ready as an excuse for the officer) by a man on a Honda CBR whose sole protective gear was his helmet. No boots, no leather jacket, no jeans even (as if jeans would help him in the event of a wreck.) I wanted to catch up with him and show him my leg saying "this is what you get at 5mph -- imagine what it would have been like at 95."

Part of getting your motorcycle license ought to include spending an evening at the local emergency room.

Chip H.
    Ow...

I have a nice little burn scar onmy left calf I got years ago, dirt-biking... crashed the bike and it and I landed together in a pile, with the exhaust pipe searing into my flesh (through pants) like a cattle brand... it left a mark....

The bruise where the frame landed on the other side of my knee hurts more than the scrape (well, except for cleaning the wound, which stung quite a bit, but that's temporary)

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

OUCH!

I wanted to catch up with him and show him my leg saying "this is what you get at 5mph -- imagine what it would have been like at 95."

Afraid i am guilty of riding sometimes with out any protective gear. In fact yesterday i was doing just that ., and although I know that 50kmh is not that fast it is still enough to do horrendous damage.
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    The bruise where the frame landed on the other side of my knee hurts more than the scrape (well, except for cleaning the wound, which stung quite a bit, but that's temporary)

Chip H.
    Cleaning it up often hurts more than receiving the injury itself!

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1

Afraid i am guilty of riding sometimes with out any protective gear. In fact yesterday i was doing just that ., and although I know that 50kmh is not that fast it is still enough to do horrendous damage.
    I think most of us are/have been guilty of that at some point. I still sometimes knock around the property on the dirt bike wearing shorts and a t-shirt, but I figure if I wreck, at least I'm already home!