Thread: Test Driving 2007 Toyota Camry

Test Driving 2007 Toyota Camry

I finally got to test drive the little gold Hybrid Camry that was calling my name last week. I'm probably going to pass. One of the major annoyances was that when I put my foot down to accelerate, it hesitated, turned around and looked at me and said "You want WHAT?" That may be the nature of a hybrid, but I just didn't like it. Trunk space is almost non-existant because of the battery. I could barely fit my big suitcase in there and I'm not sure my laptop case would fit with it. Air conditioning controls did not have a separate control for the fan. I was getting blown out until I turned the temp way out. Cold air in the summertime in Alabama is good,

Re: Test Driving 2007 Toyota Camry

As I was saying (stupid computer!), cold air in Alabama is good, blowing you out the doors is not. I had a friend of mine with me and one thing she pointed out is that the Air Bag dummy light is always on. I only want dummy lights coming on if there's something wrong. Controls on the steering wheel were OK, but the cruise control should be there and not on a hidden stick on the right side.
    One interesting thing is that you don't really need a key to start it. As long as you have the key fob near the ignition, put your foot on the brake and press the on button, it starts. Can't decide if i like that or not from a security standpoint. Reminds me of my father's old Rambler with the push buttons. Seat adjustability was good, but it is a bit cramped in the front. Plenty of room in the back. The salesman with us was over 6 ft tall and had no problems while he was sitting back there.
    Overall, if you like a car with get-up-and-go, this is not the car for you.

duck

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Hi Duck!

The Camry's air bag light should only come on for a "bulb check" when the car is started (and it then should go out) or when there's a fault with the system - or, in the case of the passenger-side bag, the sensors detect improper seating position or an occupant who is too light, etc.

I'm surprised in re your observations about the Camry's acceleration as it has pretty high total power output and, if memory serves, runs to 60 mph in under 8 seconds. I'll re-check the figs on that...

If a mid-size hybrid interests you and you want a hot rod, try the Honda Accord V-6 hybrid. It is a very quick ride!

We asked the salesman specifically about the airbag light and he said it is now designed to stay on. When my friend test drove one a couple of years ago, that was one of the things that bugged her about the vehicle. It will show airbag on if it's on or airbag off if it's off. It (and the clock) are way on top in the glareshield and not part of the normal controls. I was very surprised about the acceleration issue. I was initially thinking it was something I was doing, but my friend could tell it too. But you have to remember, I'm also driving outside my GM comfort zone <g>. On to the Accord.

OK, I drove the 2006 Accord. Nice ride, but a couple of concerns for me. The mechanism to release the gear shift is extremely awkward. This is an area of extreme concern for me because my right hand is a piece of crap. I have limited grip strength and also cannot exert much force with my thumb. The release button is almost underneath and doesn't ride up cleanly. My friend's 2005 has the release on the side. Personally, I hate gear shifters in the middle, but that's the way the cars are going these days. With the Toyota, there was no gear release button at all. All I had to do was put my foot on the brake. Also, on the Honda, the seat setup wasn't as adjustable as I like. I found out that the Accord hybrid only comes in leather seats (just what I need in Alabama!) I think they also only come with moonroofs, so that's another strike. The gas mileage on the hybrid Accord is also much less than that on the Camry Hybrid. My friend owns an Accord so I was getting the hard sell from HER, not the salesman. I still have the Buick LaCrosse and Chevy Impala on my list. I've driven the Impala before as a rental. But that's for NEXT weekend.

duck

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776
    OK, I drove the 2006 Accord. Nice ride, but a couple of concerns for me. The mechanism to release the gear shift is extremely awkward. This is an area of extreme concern for me because my right hand is a piece of crap. I have limited grip strength and also cannot exert much force with my thumb. The release button is almost underneath and doesn't ride up cleanly. My friend's 2005 has the release on the side. Personally, I hate gear shifters in the middle, but that's the way the cars are going these days. With the Toyota, there was no gear release button at all. All I had to do was put my foot on the brake. Also, on the Honda, the seat setup wasn't as adjustable as I like. I found out that the Accord hybrid only comes in leather seats (just what I need in Alabama!) I think they also only come with moonroofs, so that's another strike. The gas mileage on the hybrid Accord is also much less than that on the Camry Hybrid. My friend owns an Accord so I was getting the hard sell from HER, not the salesman. I still have the Buick LaCrosse and Chevy Impala on my list. I've driven the Impala before as a rental. But that's for NEXT weekend.

duck
    Hi Duck,

Yes, the hybrid Accord is packaged as a "top of the line" model; hybrids in general seem to be going this way. Youmight be better served (at least, money-wise) by looking at a non-hybrid mid-sized sedan along the lines of the Buick Lucerne or Pontiac G6. Prices on these are very competitive (unlike Hondas or Toyotas) and they offer plenty of room, good power and (believe it or not) comparable overall build quality. They're good, solid vehicles - just not as trendy. Dunno how important that last item is to you...

Mazda also has some wonderful cars out; have you checked out the 6 sedan?

jillsuncle

Oh God please!

First they put you into a reliable Kenmore Taurus. Homogenius without any genius.

Now they give you a car the size of an Impala with a sticker price of a Lexus. Did I mention that this car is J.A.P. UGLY. Kind of like a rock star who does not bathe because he has too many chicks. Putting 260 some odd horsepower in this Vista Cruiser = Poor Fuel Economy. Buy a Suburban.

Hey neighbors! I got a Camry just like everybody else in the neighborhood.

What's the point?

Besides going broke buying an American Car made in Ohio.

Oh you did not know this was an American Car made in Ohio ???. How stupid of you? I don't buy American cars! <-- Whiny Dumbass!

Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    Oh God please!

First they put you into a reliable Kenmore Taurus. Homogenius without any genius.

Now they give you a car the size of an Impala with a sticker price of a Lexus. Did I mention that this car is J.A.P. UGLY. Kind of like a rock star who does not bathe because he has too many chicks. Putting 260 some odd horsepower in this Vista Cruiser = Poor Fuel Economy. Buy a Suburban.

Hey neighbors! I got a Camry just like everybody else in the neighborhood.

What's the point?

Besides going broke buying an American Car made in Ohio.

Oh you did not know this was an American Car made in Ohio ???. How stupid of you? I don't buy American cars! <-- Whiny Dumbass!
    Hmmm.... do you not rike rittle rerrow men?

Seriously: People buy Toyotas over Chevys because Toyotas have a better "rep" for being well-built/reliable - and they hold their value better, too.

And bear inmind that for many people cars are, indeed, "kenmores" - that is, appliances. They are looked upon - rightly- as a means to get from "a" to "b" in comfort and safety. Style and power, etc. are also important - but not to everyone - and not necessarily!