Thread: air bags.. optional?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

air bags.. optional?

Air bags have been mandatory in new vehicles for several years, but while they've saved many lives, it's also true that the force of deploying air bags have also injured thousands and killed hundreds. In addition, they add significantly to the cost of a vehicle - both in terms of the initial cost and potential down-the-road repair/upkeep expenses, especially if the bag(s) go off in the event of an accident.

Given the "mixed bag" of air bag performance, do you think they should be optional rather than mandatory? Shouldn't it be up to each of us to decide whetther the benefits outweigh the risks? And whether the real costs involved are worth the theoretical/potential advantage?

What do you say?

Re: air bags.. optional?

Weren't some of the early bags the cause of burns because they deployed too fast?

I guess they are a good idea, but geez car makers are going over the top with where they put them.

maybe a quick inflating ballone will lift us miraculously out of the danger
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Weren't some of the early bags the cause of burns because they deployed too fast?

I guess they are a good idea, but geez car makers are going over the top with where they put them.

maybe a quick inflating ballone will lift us miraculously out of the danger
    Yes - partially. Burns from the chemical reaction used to inflate the bags, but also from the force of the deployment. This has been addressed with the adoption of so-called "smart" air bags, but I agree with yout that it is getting over-the-top. I'd prefer to "pass" on air bags myself - and I do that by avoiding new cars!

>>What do you say? <<

I say that they are OK as far as I'm concerned. The thing I really dislike is coming in '08--- the "black box" that will tell what I was doing to deploy the air bags! Some GM cars have it now----

Eric

[color=Red]I'd prefer to "pass" on air bags myself - and I do that by avoiding new cars![/color]

One day however in the distant future you will probably end up with a used car that will have air-bags.....therein lies a dilemma...will they have been replaced at ten years old?

if not you will be happy
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>What do you say? <<

I say that they are OK as far as I'm concerned. The thing I really dislike is coming in '08--- the "black box" that will tell what I was doing to deploy the air bags! Some GM cars have it now----
    Yes indeed. Did you catch my rant on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Eric

[color=Red]I'd prefer to "pass" on air bags myself - and I do that by avoiding new cars![/color]

One day however in the distant future you will probably end up with a used car that will have air-bags.....therein lies a dilemma...will they have been replaced at ten years old?

if not you will be happy
    Nah - I;ll just stick with cars built prior to the early '80s... I like 'em better anyhow!

>>Yes indeed. Did you catch my rant on that?<<

Not yet, but I'm gonna look at it now--- You are the Dennis Miller of the automotive business!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    >>Yes indeed. Did you catch my rant on that?<<

Not yet, but I'm gonna look at it now--- You are the Dennis Miller of the automotive business!
    He's one of my favorites, also... a modern HL Mencken (only more sardonic and less bitter)!

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

Nah - I;ll just stick with cars built prior to the early '80s... I like 'em better anyhow!
    Saturday I saw a very nice, clean Studebaker Lark III - looks like a perfect ride for you. Shall I find out what he wants for it?(g)

Instead of air bags, how about an ejector seat, kind of like the one KITT used to have on Knight Rider? Now THAT was a cool ride...

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMeosh
    Instead of air bags, how about an ejector seat, kind of like the one KITT used to have on Knight Rider? Now THAT was a cool ride...
    Even better - an insolent computer riding shotgun, making comments in an effete synthesized voice!

Even better - an insolent computer riding shotgun, making comments in an effete synthesized voice!
    And don't forget the turbo boost - nothing quite like jumping over a moving freight train to avoid that traffic jam!

Quote Originally Posted by MeanMeosh

And don't forget the turbo boost - nothing quite like jumping over a moving freight train to avoid that traffic jam!
    There used to be a company - it may still be in business- that offered conversionkits to ttransform third gen. Trans-Ams inti KITT replicas. I saw one on display once and it was pretty authetic - although I don't think it could actually do KITT-style jumps!

PS - Speaking of which: I have always liked the look of the '80-'81 turbo Trans-Ams; of course, they were slower than Forrest Gump working the NY Times crossword puzzle. But I've always though that replacing the 301 turbo with a 400 or 455 turbo - with the hood lights on the off center scoop and everything hooked up to work like "stock" - would be pretty neat.

A mild turbo 400 or 455 should easily produce 350 or so hp. Thebiggest hassle (and most expensive hassle) would be converting to FI; using a carb with the turbo - as the 301 did - is not a good idea!

jillsuncle

This a moot point. It's like saying I want Bill Clinton or George W. Bush to be optional. Focus on things that you have some control over. Peace in the Middle East is much easier than this topic. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    This a moot point. It's like saying I want Bill Clinton or George W. Bush to be optional. Focus on things that you have some control over. Peace in the Middle East is much easier than this topic. ;D
    Well, you can be like me... and buy old only!