Thread: Pilot vs Highlander

Daine

Pilot vs Highlander

Is this the right section for a used car question?

OK, this seems king of funny to me but I went to a car dealer to "look" at cars today for the first time in my life.
    Mind you, we were looking at used cars at CarMax but still, I really have never shopped at dealers. All my vehicles except one were used from private sellers.
    I will say that my last car did come from a dealer but I found it in a classified advert and I only went there to look at that car.

Anyway, we have been reading reviews and discussing the various Pros and Cons and have pretty much decided on a late model, likely 2004, Honda Pilot or a Toyota Highlander.
    I first started by looking at the sport wagons but they were generally not quite big enough and were generally a bit too much $$$.
    Then I kind of decided on a Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna but my wife, after looking at other things, decided that she was definitely not a "Mini Van" and I agree.

So the so called crossovers came into view. Big enough to throw a bunch of stuff in, a bit better on gas, comfortable and fairly capable on less than friendly roads and about the same price tag.
    We only briefly drove both and they seem OK but I definitely need to drive more as the Highlander we looked at was actually a 2006 Hybrid which I found kind of strange but I have never even seen a hybrid till now.
    The biggest differences I saw were that the Pilot has middle seat AC which is nice and the interior is a bit nicer, less truck like but it has a mini spare.
    The Highlander has a real spare and much better leg room for the middle seats but the fold down arm rest is not a nice as the big console in the Pilot.

Any thoughts?
    Daine

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Pilot vs Highlander

Any thoughts?
    Daine
    Hi Daine,

Both are "good" vehicles - in the sense of being well-built, etc. Both are also comparable interms of their "mission" - so it really comes down to the subjectives - things such as you've mentioned in re the interior layout/accommodations, features and so on. I'd go with the one you prefer, assuming prices are roughly equivalent (with used cars, this last is harder to nail down becauseof variable such as mileage, overall condition, the dealer, etc. With new cars, the price of the vehicle is basically objective - the MSRP "sticker" is what it is is, etc. You may be able to get a substantially better deal on a given Pilot over a given Highlander - or the reverse. That will have to factor into your purchasing decision. But before you buy either, make sure you take a fairly extensive test drive in each, ideally, back to back. This will will give you a much better feel for the vehicle, especially things like ride quality, blind spots/visibility, etc.

Keep us posted!

-Eric

Highlander

Toyota market the Highlander as Klueger in Australia
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Daine

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Highlander

Hmmmm... Kleuger... What does that mean?

Highlander

Wasn't he some kind of Nazi no-goodnik?

Absolutely have no Idea...Don't think Toyota dealers know either
    A strange world

PS: I mis-spelt should be Kluger...a littl less Teutonic
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Absolutely have no Idea...Don't think Toyota dealers know either
    A strange world

PS: I mis-spelt should be Kluger...a littl less Teutonic
    Still sounds like a henchman from Stalag 17!

Daine

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Both are "good" vehicles - in the sense of being well-built, etc. Both are also comparable interms of their "mission" - so it really comes down to the subjectives - things such as you've mentioned in re the interior layout/accommodations, features and so on.

Keep us posted!

-Eric
    OK, we went to a local Toyota dealer yesterday that was supposed to have both some Highlanders and 2 Pilots on the lot but when we got there, the Pilots were gone...
    So, it was time for the guys to try and make a sell.
    Actually, they were nice enough but the pressure got pretty high at the end.
    During our stay we looked at and drove a Sequoia, 4Runner and Highlander and actually the visit was quite valuable.
    While we liked the drive of the loaded Sequoia OK, it was not laid out out well inside at all for our needs and I suspected (later confirmed) that the mileage was pretty darn low as the thing is quite big and heavy.
    Then, we drove the 4Runner and fell for it. It does not generally have the mini 3rd row of seats which I would like to have (just to have) but the layout is good, it drives really well, good cargo space with a nice flat floor and has enough 4WD to at least go to the party with the big boys. More than we need but...
    Then we drove the Highlander and hated it . Bedside the fact that the road noise was more pronounced, the cornering, stopping, etc., was just not to be compared. And it just looked and felt cheap
    Course, the 4Runner is more $$$ which was the whole point in the order that they showed them.

So now, having started by reading about sport wagons and deciding they were a bit too pricey, I have gone through mini vans, into SUVs and com well up into the price range of the sport wagons.
    This is just getting harder so I am going to start a new thread based on my original "Narrowing the Field inquiry on CIS.

Daine

Daine

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Both are "good" vehicles - in the sense of being well-built, etc. Both are also comparable interms of their "mission" - so it really comes down to the subjectives

Keep us posted!

-Eric
    Well, a small update...
    We went and drove the Pilot today and also drove the 4Runner to make a direct comparison.
    The Pilot came out above the Highlander on several levels, general driveability, space... but it too has quite some road noise.
    We like the inside of the Pilot quite a bit more than the Highlander and it is in some aspects even laid out better than the 4Runner but as a total package, the 4Runner stays on top.
    DP

jillsuncle

Good choice. The Sequoia is a gas hog. The 4Runner is a big truck these days and if you can't fit in one then maybe you do need a Hummer. The Pilot is a bit vanilla. I can't put my finger on it, it kind of reminds me of a glorified Isuzu. Good Choice! ;D

Vman - Delaware <-- GearHead SpeedFreak