Thread: Top speed runs?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Top speed runs?

What's the fastest indicated top speed you've achieved on a motorcycle on public roads - and be honest!

rc74racer

Re: Top speed runs?

After having the RC for a few months I went for a top speed run I heard it would do 178 I hit an indicated 168 before backing off it was still pulling and pulled pretty hard up until about 160 or so. I'm pretty much done with top speed runs now I've satisfied my curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer
    After having the RC for a few months I went for a top speed run I heard it would do 178 I hit an indicated 168 before backing off it was still pulling and pulled pretty hard up until about 160 or so. I'm pretty much done with top speed runs now I've satisfied my curiosity.
    Even with the typical 5-10 percent "fast" reading on the speedo, that's allright!

The Rex has hit an indicated 155 on the straight stretch before you get to the turn-off to my house.. not bad for retro and carbs!

rc74racer

The Rex is a great bike even if it has carbs. I'm thinking my error was in the 4-6% range when I made that run. I recently went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and then installed a speedo healer. When I tested it after the sprocket change with a GPS it was 14% off I believe. It is now spot on thanks to the healer. Over the winter I'm making another gearing change one down in the front and one down in the back from where it's at now.

Have you made any suspension mods to your Rex yet?

The Rex is a great bike even if it has carbs. I'm thinking my error was in the 4-6% range when I made that run. I recently went up 2 teeth on the rear sprocket and then installed a speedo healer. When I tested it after the sprocket change with a GPS it was 14% off I believe. It is now spot on thanks to the healer. Over the winter I'm making another gearing change one down in the front and one down in the back from where it's at now.

Have you made any suspension mods to your Rex yet?
    I think so, too!

No real changes to the suspension; I go back and forth on this one... sometimes I think about ading the Ohlins shocks and redoing the forks. Then I think, hell, just leave it alone - and get another bike to really "work."

And then there's the old 900... pretty much done now, but spent some bucks on that thing over the last few months...! And I really want to get an H2 Triple.. those things kick!

rc74racer

I wouldn't go the ohlins route if I were you they are overrated. Elka or Penske are cheaper and will set the shocks up for your weight ohlins will be for more $$$. The difference is really big when you do the rear shock or shocks in your case along with forks I think you'd be surprised. Most japanese bikes are set up for 150/160 riders I'm quite sure given your height you are north of that weight and would benefit from the change. Just my 2 cents.

On the H2 I want one too I've been doing a little looking lately they are by far my favorite vintage bike. I had a friend who had one when I was in HS it rocked and sounded awesome.

I wouldn't go the ohlins route if I were you they are overrated. Elka or Penske are cheaper and will set the shocks up for your weight ohlins will be for more $$$. The difference is really big when you do the rear shock or shocks in your case along with forks I think you'd be surprised. Most japanese bikes are set up for 150/160 riders I'm quite sure given your height you are north of that weight and would benefit from the change. Just my 2 cents.

On the H2 I want one too I've been doing a little looking lately they are by far my favorite vintage bike. I had a friend who had one when I was in HS it rocked and sounded awesome.
    Definitely (I'm around 190); the front end also shows where they cheaped out when you really work the bike hard. But it comes down to whether I want to use it for the track or make it a semi-retired street-only bike - and a lot of that will be influenced by a) whether Kaw brings out the rumored "Super ZRX" in 2007, b) whether I decide to buy a "track" Zrx1200 and c) whether the H2 deal goes down. I REALLY want one of those things!~

I hear they are total beasts....

rc74racer

Do you have a line on an H2? The 500 or 750? I'd like to find a 750 to toy with at some point but right now I've just been looking and day dreaming. My winter project is a complete suspension upgrade on the RC and getting it ready for trackdays next year.

Do you have a line on an H2? The 500 or 750? I'd like to find a 750 to toy with at some point but right now I've just been looking and day dreaming. My winter project is a complete suspension upgrade on the RC and getting it ready for trackdays next year.
    I found two in Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader; one of them I e-mailed to the guy - am waiting to hear back. I'm sort of in the same situation you're in, though. With VIR less than an hour from here, I really want a dedicated track bike. But I also want the H2... problem is, I can't do both at once!