Thread: Buying a new car

Buying a new car

OK, gang, it's time to buy a new duckmobile. I currently have a 1999 Buick Century. Nothing really wrong with it other than it's gone through 8 window regulators over nearly 7 years. I've always had a GM vehicle, but I'm looking outside the family. I live where they make the Hyundai Sonatas, so I'd like to support my home town if possible. The only thing holding me back is that I don't think they come with satellite radio (I know, a silly requirement, but if I'm going to buy a new car, I want it to have what I want!) Other cars that I'm looking at are the Buick LaCrosse and the Chevy Impala (my first car was a 63 Impala, but that was back when it was a REAL car). I'd like to improve my gas mileage over what I have. I've thought about Honda's, but I'm not impressed with the dealership we have in town. I will not be trading in my Buick. So, help me figure this out!

duck

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Buying a new car

Hi Duck,

Welcome, first of all! Glad to have you on the Dark Side... .

On the Hyundai/satellite radio issue: That should not preclude you from buying the car, if that's the only thing holding you back. Adding either Sirius or XM is both easy and inexpensive - around $150 last time I checked for the "base model" XM receiver. And there is an advantage to the aftermarket receivers - portability. You can use the unit in your car, then take it inside wiith you when you get home and use it with your home stereo system. That cannot be done with the factory-installed receivers. Just food for thought...!

The car itself is excellent; in fact, my mother-in-law bought one partially on my recommendation and has been very pleased with it. Hyundai has come a long way and today has some of the highest customer staisfaction stats (and best warranty coverge) you'lll find at any price.

Keep us posted!

-Eric

Eric,

I have one of those portable XM units. That's exactly what I want to get away with. It has to sync with an FM channel so it's distracting when I get signal interference to change the channel among other issues. It'll still be great for travelling or rocking around the house, but i want to be able to look at one area to see my controls for all radios. It's definitely a safety issue for me in that regard. Gotta support my local folks if I can tho.

duck

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776
    Eric,

I have one of those portable XM units. That's exactly what I want to get away with. It has to sync with an FM channel so it's distracting when I get signal interference to change the channel among other issues. It'll still be great for travelling or rocking around the house, but i want to be able to look at one area to see my controls for all radios. It's definitely a safety issue for me in that regard. Gotta support my local folks if I can tho.

duck

Ah so!

Well, if the presence of factory satellite's a deal-breaker, you can either wait a year (by 2007, I am betting Hyundai offers either XM or Sirius) or consider another make.

Have you looked at any of the new Mazdas? The 3 is a superb car... .

PS - Please let me know what you think of this site, esp. things you think could be improved.

Best,
    Eric

I've already surfed their website on the 2007 models and there is nothing to indicate they have them now either. I work at the local newspaper and our managing editor went for a tour a few months ago and asked them about it for me <g> and was told they were suppose to begin installing the capability either in late 06 or 07. I just need to talk to the dealership about it. I did some looking at the Camry hybrid as well. Looks like my local dealership is due for a shipment of 07s mid-month. Haven't even considered Mazdas (zoom zoom zoom). Will check them out.
    I like what you've done with the site for having it up just a short while. Too bad what happened over there. I've never understood their rationale on some of their "management" moves. Like when they closed the Crafts forums down and we were among the busiest on the service. All the fun folks will make their way over .

jillsuncle

Kick tires at the dealership. Write down the option codes carefully and find a computer. Drive 300 miles and pick up the car of your dreams, while saving $3,000.

Step 2 - Find a garage with young enthusiatic entrepeneurs and don't deal with the dealer!

Vmeister