Thread: Subaru Outback or Legacy

Rocketmann

Subaru Outback or Legacy

Dear All,

I'm thinking of buying a Subaru Outback or Legacy wagon. I'm leaning toward the Outback, but it seems that the cars are almost identical, except that the Outback has a raised suspension and a few other items. Is that worth the extra money?

Can anyone give me their experiences with either model, and tell me your views on the differences between the Outback and Legacy.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Subaru Outback or Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmann
    Dear All,

I'm thinking of buying a Subaru Outback or Legacy wagon. I'm leaning toward the Outback, but it seems that the cars are almost identical, except that the Outback has a raised suspension and a few other items. Is that worth the extra money?

Can anyone give me their experiences with either model, and tell me your views on the differences between the Outback and Legacy.
    Hi Bob,

Welcome, first of all!

On your question: You may have partially answered it yourself. Do you need the extra ground clearance/more "off-road" suspension settings/character of the Outback? If not and your driving is almost exclsuively on paved roads, I'd say the Legacy is more suited to your needs. It has AWD, too - and Soobies are tenacious in poor weather (Outback or not). Unless, of course, you just happen to like the mor aggressive/sporty looks of the Outback, which can be just as valid a consideration as any functional aspects. We buy cars as much for our wants as we do our needs - and there's nothing wrong with that.

-Eric

Rocketmann

Eric,

Regarding the higher clearance, does it only have relevance when one is off-road? What about driving over 12-18" of snow, or some other situation? I'm thinking more about getting out of my driveway and up & down a hilly street after a heavy snowfall, but before it's plowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketmann
    Eric,

Regarding the higher clearance, does it only have relevance when one is off-road? What about driving over 12-18" of snow, or some other situation? I'm thinking more about getting out of my driveway and up & down a hilly street after a heavy snowfall, but before it's plowed.
    Hi Bob,

For typical on-road suburban/commuter-type driviing, the standard Legacy with AWD will be more than adequate. Having higher ground clearance is helpful in deep snow (it keeps the vehicle from bottoming out - and the tires losing grip because the car's chassis is riding up on top of the snow, etc.) but it's rare to find more than a few inches of unpaved snow in/around any major population center for any length of time. Even after a heavy snow, the plows usually take care of things after a few hours at the most.

Ask yourself: In a typical year, how many "snow days" do I have to deal with? For most people, it's no more than you can count on both hands (if that). I advise you to buy a car based on the type of driving/usage it will see during the other 350-odd days out of the 365 - not the handful when you might need something like higher ground clearance, etc.

Besides: If you fit a car like the Legacy with good winter tires, it will be almost unstoppable!

-Eric

jillsuncle

Neither Freak - Audi Quattro - OUT! : It doesn't cost that much more to go First Class. V

Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    Neither Freak - Audi Quattro - OUT! : It doesn't cost that much more to go First Class. V
    Hi Vic!

Actually, there's about a ten grand price difference between the base A4 Quattro and the base model Legacy ($30,340 vs. $20,495). I like Audis, but they're considerably more expensive .... you're paying for the higher prestige, for one thing (Audi is a "near luxury/luxury" nameplate) and for higher content, in terms of bells and whistles. But the Subaru offers AWD standard in a very nice car that's as good (or better) in inclement weather for a LOT less cash!

PS - Just found a NOS tach for the old Kaw... should be here before you get here!