Thread: Is it an antique, classic - or just old? i

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Is it an antique, classic - or just old? i

Depending on who you ask (or what dictionary you consult) a "classic" car can be anything from a low-production rarity from the pre-war coachbuilt-era to a '57 Chevy. Some states will issue "antique" vehicle tags to any car once it reaches 25 years old -- even if it's a diesel Chevette with 260,000 miles. Many would call the Chevette just another old car (or worse).

What do you say? Can any old car become a classic by dint of age? Or is a higher and more exclusive standard in order?

rc74racer

Re: Is it an antique, classic - or just old? i

I think a higher standard is in order. I am already seeing people in this are use the antique or classic tag to get out of inspections. Should a 300k mi civic be able to get a classic or antique tag just because it is 25yrs old? No way.

Mercedes uses the 25 year standard.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer
    I think a higher standard is in order. I am already seeing people in this are use the antique or classic tag to get out of inspections. Should a 300k mi civic be able to get a classic or antique tag just because it is 25yrs old? No way.
    I see the same stuff - and agree. One idea someone put forward that I thinkmakes a lot of sense is that in order to get the antique tags, one must provide proof of antique vehicle insurance coverage - this would weed out the maggots who are just using the system to get their old beaters off the state inspection hook, etc.

Staff

A Chevette Diesel is rare enough to be considered an historic monument. Yeah, give it an antique tag. Why not?
    LOL

DennisWG

Has anyone ever driven a Chevette anywhere near 260,000 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisWG
    Has anyone ever driven a Chevette anywhere near 260,000 miles?
    I am betting yes... every once in awhile I see one.... and Chevettes have been out of production for nearly 20 years now, I think. Or more. So even a lightly used - but regularly used - one could be pushing 200k by now. People do gimp these things along; I have seen an old guy around our area in an '82 Aries K that has to have at least that much on the clock....

Staff

If an antique tag will help someone driving an old car save some money, I have no problem with that.

In 2026, I expect my Saturn L100 to receive an antique tag... hold on.. it may not last that long. The factory stopped making those "dealer item" parts back in 2004.

I agree with those who have suggested that inorder to get an antique tag, one should also have to present proof of antique vehicle insurance. There are too many shitheads out there driving some piece of crap old beater (a safety risk to others as these things are clearly in poor condition and likely to have bad brakes, spew pollution, etc.) and avoiding state inspection, etc. by hanging an "antique" tag on the bumper. These plates were meant for hobbyists/collectors who keep and maintain antique vehicles - not for any old piece of shit that just happens to have made it to 25 years old!

rc74racer

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    If an antique tag will help someone driving an old car save some money, I have no problem with that.

In 2026, I expect my Saturn L100 to receive an antique tag... hold on.. it may not last that long. The factory stopped making those "dealer item" parts back in 2004.

My problem is when someone gets the tag to avoid state inspection and drives an unsafe car. The ridiculous rules we have right now in VA are allowing people to really abusing this. The other day I saw and old ford pick up mid 70s vintage a complete pile of sh** I could see frame rot from the highway not to mention tire shake at 60 mph and it had an antique tag. No way that thing would pass state inspection but yet you could clearly tell this was being used as a daily work truck. I agree with Eric you should have to show proof of antique/classic insurance and they really do need to change the criteria before it gets worse.

Definitely!

It's becoming a real problem; I see such "POS"/obviously daily-driver cars and trucks with antique tags almost every week. It's obvious which cars deserve the plates - and which don't. And requiring proof of antique vehicle insurance would be a good way to end the abuses while preserving the privilege for hobbyists, etc.