Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: How safe are you?

  1. #1
    gail
    Guest

    How safe are you?

    Here are some interesting statistics. Where are you the safest, in your vehicle or in the hospital? Think you are safe at home? Read on. We get a lot of hype from the Drive-by media, and we certainly notice all of those crazy drivers on the road that are either going too slow and impeding our travel, or trying to run us off into the ditch, so that they can get down the road faster (my dearly beloved says that the latter would never happen to me, because they couldn?t catch up to me.

    Automobile crashes (we can?t call them ?accidents? anymore, because the ?Powers-to-Be? in the US DOT white towers tell us that we really meant to crash) kill about 41,000 people a year, or 1.4 per 100 MVT

    Is this really a lot of fatalities? Well yes, sadly it is. Most crashes are probably preventable with better maintenance and signage on the highway, conscientious upkeep of vehicles, and last but not least better driver training and skills. One doesn?t suddenly become combustible at a certain velocity, so speed does not cause accidents. However, if an accident occurs, speed does compound the issue. Forego wearing a seat belt neither causes, nor prevents a crash. Wearing a seat belt may prevent death in a crash, or wearing one may kill you. The choice should be the individuals and not the government. Are highway crashes the leading cause of death - not even close!
    Let us look at what the numbers tell us: Falls are the leading causes of nonfatal unintentional injuries treated in hospital emergency departments (7.0 million visits) followed by motor-vehicle crashes (4.6 million visits).
    Have you considered the fatality rate from injuries in your own home? Did you know that the kitchen is the most dangerous place, with the bathroom coming in second?

    In the home there is a fatal injury every 16 minutes and a disabling injury every 4 seconds.

    A death caused by a motor vehicle crash occurs every 12 minutes; a disabling injury occurs every 13 seconds

    Of course, there are fires, drowning and accidental over-dose or a wrong prescription medication by a doctor or pharmacist.
    The Safety nannies don?t want us to know how dangerous hospitals are either.

    225, 000 Hospital related deaths, the 3rd leading cause of deaths behind Heart Disease and Cancer.
    199,000 deaths in outpatient care.
    100,000 deaths due to adverse side effects to medication.
    Auto stats are starting to look pretty low in comparison.

    Another 20,000 die from STD
    14,000 from HIV,
    5,800 Hepatitis,
    60,000 Toxic agents

    Finished and I haven?t even mentioned death by cigarettes/cigars/pipe smoking, overeating or alcohol.

  2. #2
    TC
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Here are some interesting statistics. Where are you the safest, in your vehicle or in the hospital? Think you are safe at home? Read on. We get a lot of hype from the Drive-by media, and we certainly notice all of those crazy drivers on the road that are either going too slow and impeding our travel, or trying to run us off into the ditch, so that they can get down the road faster (my dearly beloved says that the latter would never happen to me, because they couldn?t catch up to me.

    Automobile crashes (we can?t call them ?accidents? anymore, because the ?Powers-to-Be? in the US DOT white towers tell us that we really meant to crash) kill about 41,000 people a year, or 1.4 per 100 MVT

    Is this really a lot of fatalities? Well yes, sadly it is. Most crashes are probably preventable with better maintenance and signage on the highway, conscientious upkeep of vehicles, and last but not least better driver training and skills. One doesn?t suddenly become combustible at a certain velocity, so speed does not cause accidents. However, if an accident occurs, speed does compound the issue. Forego wearing a seat belt neither causes, nor prevents a crash. Wearing a seat belt may prevent death in a crash, or wearing one may kill you. The choice should be the individuals and not the government. Are highway crashes the leading cause of death - not even close!
    Let us look at what the numbers tell us: Falls are the leading causes of nonfatal unintentional injuries treated in hospital emergency departments (7.0 million visits) followed by motor-vehicle crashes (4.6 million visits).
    Have you considered the fatality rate from injuries in your own home? Did you know that the kitchen is the most dangerous place, with the bathroom coming in second?

    In the home there is a fatal injury every 16 minutes and a disabling injury every 4 seconds.

    A death caused by a motor vehicle crash occurs every 12 minutes; a disabling injury occurs every 13 seconds

    Of course, there are fires, drowning and accidental over-dose or a wrong prescription medication by a doctor or pharmacist.
    The Safety nannies don?t want us to know how dangerous hospitals are either.

    225, 000 Hospital related deaths, the 3rd leading cause of deaths behind Heart Disease and Cancer.
    199,000 deaths in outpatient care.
    100,000 deaths due to adverse side effects to medication.
    Auto stats are starting to look pretty low in comparison.

    Another 20,000 die from STD
    14,000 from HIV,
    5,800 Hepatitis,
    60,000 Toxic agents

    Finished and I haven?t even mentioned death by cigarettes/cigars/pipe smoking, overeating or alcohol.
    It just goes to show how stupid most people are when there are that many accidents in the home.
    No amount of training can overcome stupidity.

  3. #3
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Posted by TC <<It just goes to show how stupid most people are when there are that many accidents in the home.
    No amount of training can overcome stupidity.>>

    Ignorance can be fixed, stupidity is forever!

  4. #4
    mrblanche
    Guest

    I'll put a new kink in the discussion

    You wouldn't know it from the news reports, but the safest place on earth for you may be on a cruise ship. There has been only one accident-related fatality on a cruise ship sailing out of American ports in the last 20 years, and even that one was actually a heart attack suffered during an emergency.

    It has long been true that you were safer on a scheduled airline flight than in your car on the way to the airport. It's now obviously true that you're safer on a cruise ship that asleep at home in your bed!

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,751

    Re: I'll put a new kink in the discussion

    ...except for the E. coli and various other germs and viruses one encounters on those things!

  6. #6
    gail
    Guest

    Re: I'll put a new kink in the discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    ...except for the E. coli and various other germs and viruses one encounters on those things!
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Also, let's not forget sea-sickness. That's me.

  7. #7
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Don't think there have been any e-coli outbreaks on cruise ship. There have been some food poisoning (norovirus?) problems, but usually less than in a land-based restaurant, and probably less than in most homes.

    I told you you couldn't tell it from the news reports!

  8. #8
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Ignorance can be fixed,

    Such as your ignorance on gais? However:


    Everybody is ignorant only on different subjects.
    --Will Rogers


    stupidity is forever!

    Yes, and Einstein told us why:

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; but I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Einstein


    -Don Quoteman

  9. #9
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Don, this isn't an appropriate post.[

    quote author=DonTom link=topic=372.msg3686#msg3686 date=1163230398]
    Ignorance can be fixed,

    Such as your ignorance on gais? However:


    Everybody is ignorant only on different subjects.
    --Will Rogers


    stupidity is forever!

    Yes, and Einstein told us why:

    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; but I'm not sure about the the universe."
    -Albert Einstein


    -Don Quoteman


  10. #10
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Don, this isn't an appropriate post.

    How did YOU make that decision? Not appropriate for who?

    You also also think my love life isn't appropriate, so why should I care about your opinion?

    -Don-


  11. #11
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Don, this isn't an appropriate post.

    How did YOU make that decision? Not appropriate for who?

    You also also think my love life isn't appropriate, so why should I care about your opinion?

    -Don-

    I decide because Fight Traffic Tickets is my column, and I don't chose to carry posts from Motor Mouth over to ticket fighting, because you would like to discredit me.

    In this section there is no dividing lines - we are motorists, that is the common denominator. OK? Peace! Please respect my wishes.

  12. #12
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    I decide because Fight Traffic Tickets is my column,

    Oh, okay. But I am curious, how did this get to be your column? Is this forum like Compuserve where there are Section Leaders and you're the same as a SL here?

    And did you become good at this subject from fighting many of your own traffic tickets?

    -Don-

  13. #13
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I decide because Fight Traffic Tickets is my column,

    Oh, okay. But I am curious, how did this get to be your column? Is this forum like Compuserve where there are Section Leaders and you're the same as a SL here?

    And did you become good at this subject from fighting many of your own traffic tickets?

    -Don-
    In spite of differences between Eric and me - he greatly admires me for the work that I have done with National Motorists Association (http://www.motorists.org). I also admire Eric both personally and professionally. When Eric set up the forum on CompuServe he asked me if I would be on staff and moderate the ticket fighting section. I said that I would. When he changed venues I came with him.

    Actually, I visualize myself as sort of a Dear Abby of motorists issues. However, it has not worked out that way here. On CompuServe it did. Usually I never post on Motor Mouth as I haven't wanted to weaken my stand on motorists issues with controversial issues. And you know about my lapse of judgment. I may be wrong about a lot of things, I am an expert on motorists issues.

    I appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter - and I'll continue the other topic in Motor Mouth for as long as you would like, and even other controversial issue as well.

    Here is a URL telling how this came about:

    http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig/morrison1.html

  14. #14
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    "Usually I never post on Motor Mouth as I haven't wanted to weaken my stand on motorists issues with controversial issues."

    I never used to either. Seeing your message there is what changed me. See what you started ;D? Seems to be the hottest topic ever there.

    Did I ever tell you about the ticket I got in Reno the same day Tom & I went to look at the house we bought? It was for "impeding traffic" when I just happened to be in the way of a cop who didn't know how to do his job correctly! That cop was trying to get me into an accident, which is what would have happened if I moved. Anyway, I couldn't wait to get this cop in court with my two witnesses (the Realtor too, who wanted to be there as well!). I was disappointed that the cop didn't show! I really wanted to get him in the court room! But at least it was dismissed.

    Tom also got a ticket, months later on 395. Going 61 in a 55 where most cars go about 70. The mistake Tom made was to be the only car on the road at the time, with a cop hiding. Anyway, since he really was going 61, he just paid the ticket. Is there a way to fight such a ticket on the grounds that it's ridiculous? This is the area on 395 north of Reno where they have countless red cones, but we NEVER see them work on the road in this area. The cones are still there, now that's it's three years later. But this is still a double fine zone. I think they don't want to change this so they can make more money. Just leave the cones and double the fine -- no workers needed.

    BTW, when I fought my ticket, it was a real hassle. I had to go to the court room three times, about six weeks between each time. The second time I was there, they did NOT want to listen to any facts of my case. They only wanted to bribe me. They would try to make a deal. Reduce the fine in half and one point against my record instead of two. I made it real clear - - no deals, I WANT to take this cop to court! But this seems so much like bribery to me. They want to make a deal without knowing a single fact about my case!

    Does a traffic ticket in Clark County also mean three trips to the court house, about six weeks apart? Do they also try to bribe people?

    One thing I did learn from this is that they will reduce any ticket just by fighting it, but it will take two trips to the courthouse.

    BTW, I hear in NV they will NOT turn in speeding tickets to insurance companies if less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Is this true? It seems the ticket Tommy got for 61 in a 55 never got reported. Months later, Tom got another ticket for going 85 in a 70 near Walker Lake and that was reported to his insurance.

    -Don-

  15. #15
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    FIGHT EVERY TICKET, unless you truly believe that you were a careless or reckless driver.

    It is good that the judge dismissed your ticket when the cop didn't show. Usually they will re-schedule unless you ask for a dismissal.

    Fighting tickets gets easier as you learn your way around a court room. If you make big enough waves - they won't ever give you another ticket. I am in the latter category. It is uncanny, and some dispute my claim, however, I have had incidences where a cop hiding has pull out behind me and then pealed away.

    The waves that I created took me a year to fight, and then charges were dropped. I objected and the judge said, "You can't object, you've won!" > I was challenging the speed detection method, and if I had been successful that state could have never used it again. Which brings me to your question.

    <<The mistake Tom made was to be the only car on the road at the time, with a cop hiding. Anyway, since he really was going 61, he just paid the ticket. Is there a way to fight such a ticket on the grounds that it's ridiculous?>>
    Yes, there is. Challenge the speed method, speed study, equipment used for accuracy. NMA has books on these issues. http://www.motorists.org
    I have helped people too. http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Museum/7438/nma.html

    <<This is the area on 395 north of Reno where they have countless red cones, but we NEVER see them work on the road in this area. The cones are still there, now that's it's three years later. But this is still a double fine zone. I think they don't want to change this so they can make more money. Just leave the cones and double the fine -- no workers needed.>>

    My suggestion here is to write NDOT a letter and send a copy to the newspaper. Wait a few days and if you haven't heard from them, telephone in and again issue your complaint.
    >>


    <<BTW, I hear in NV they will NOT turn in speeding tickets to insurance companies if less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Is this true? It seems the ticket Tommy got for 61 in a 55 never got reported. Months later, Tom got another ticket for going 85 in a 70 near Walker Lake and that was reported to his insurance.>>

  16. #16
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Gail,

    On the bottom of your post you had :

    <<BTW, I hear in NV they will NOT turn in speeding tickets to insurance companies if less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Is this true? It seems the ticket Tommy got for 61 in a 55 never got reported. Months later, Tom got another ticket for going 85 in a 70 near Walker Lake and that was reported to his insurance.>>

    But there was no comment. Did you mean to say something about that?

    -Don-

  17. #17
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Gail,

    On the bottom of your post you had :

    <<BTW, I hear in NV they will NOT turn in speeding tickets to insurance companies if less than 10 MPH over the speed limit. Is this true? It seems the ticket Tommy got for 61 in a 55 never got reported. Months later, Tom got another ticket for going 85 in a 70 near Walker Lake and that was reported to his insurance.>>

    But there was no comment. Did you mean to say something about that?

    -Don-
    Yes, actually I did. The forum has been acting up lately - especially when I am about to post and it tells me someone else is or has posted then it stops my post and at times only sends out part of my message. Terribly frustrating to say the least.

    Anyway, there is a National index where police department can send violations to and other states will have access to your driving records. While this isn't sent directly to insurance companies they have people that search the records and often your insurance rates will go up even if the charges are dropped or you are found not guilty. You might want to ask your insurance company what their policy is on this issue.

  18. #18
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    The forum has been acting up lately - especially when I am about to post and it tells me someone else is or has posted then it stops my post and at times only sends out part of my message. Terribly frustrating to say the least.

    I use Netscape and when somebody else has posted, my message always goes blank. But then I hit the back arrow and get back my complete message--not a single letter missing. Then I post it from there. The next time you have that problem, see if you can page back and get back your entire message. It works for me every time, I have never lost any message or even a single letter of any message I typed out for this forum.

    Anyway, there is a National index where police department can send violations to and other states will have access to your driving records. While this isn't sent directly to insurance companies they have people that search the records and often your insurance rates will go up even if the charges are dropped or you are found not guilty. You might want to ask your insurance company what their policy is on this issue.


    I didn't realize that rates can go up when found "not guilty" or charges dropped. But like any business, they are always trying to find a way to make a few dollars more.

    -Don-

  19. #19
    gail
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    When I hit the "back" key, I get the quote but lose what I wrote. So I have taken to copiying what I have written before I hit the "post" link, and usually, but not always I am able to recoup.


    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    The forum has been acting up lately - especially when I am about to post and it tells me someone else is or has posted then it stops my post and at times only sends out part of my message. Terribly frustrating to say the least.

    I use Netscape and when somebody else has posted, my message always goes blank. But then I hit the back arrow and get back my complete message--not a single letter missing. Then I post it from there. The next time you have that problem, see if you can page back and get back your entire message. It works for me every time, I have never lost any message or even a single letter of any message I typed out for this forum.

    Anyway, there is a National index where police department can send violations to and other states will have access to your driving records. While this isn't sent directly to insurance companies they have people that search the records and often your insurance rates will go up even if the charges are dropped or you are found not guilty. You might want to ask your insurance company what their policy is on this issue.


    I didn't realize that rates can go up when found "not guilty" or charges dropped. But like any business, they are always trying to find a way to make a few dollars more.

    -Don-

  20. #20
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: How safe are you?

    When I hit the "back" key, I get the quote but lose what I wrote. So I have taken to copiying what I have written before I hit the "post" link, and usually, but not always I am able to recoup.

    What program are you using here? I use either Netscape 7.2 or Netscape 8.1.2. They both work well here.

    -Don-

Similar Threads

  1. Not Even Your Backyard is Safe...
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 09:20 PM
  2. Just keeping us safe....
    By Eric in forum What happened to our liberty?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 08:03 AM
  3. 1-800-SAFE-Auto
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-13-2010, 05:04 PM
  4. He's safe - he has two helmets
    By chiph in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM
  5. Are your tires safe?
    By TC in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •