Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1984 is here!

mrblanche

Re: 1984 is here!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Good to know... it's been awhile since I've been through either state - but I was always extra-cautious when I happened to be passing through. Va. seems to be pretty lax; on I-81, I-64 and I-95 traffic routinely flows at 75 mph, or 10 mph over the poste max - and doing 80-something is generally safe if you're not an idiot about it...
    Virginia was once the worst in the country for 56 mph enforcement. They got a Republican governer, and a little sense. I hope they don't backslide. They HAVE had a very rough time with their desire to outlaw radar detectors in all vehicles. They've lost every case that has gone up on appeal.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    PA has a reputation for aggressive enforcement - esp. on the PA Turnpike.... is that still the case?
    Aggressive, yes. Not as bad as Ohio, though, and Ohio WILL write you for 1 mph over. And keep in mind in PA, radar has to be stationary, unlike most states.
    It is difficult to fight a ticket through Ohio courts too. Many motorists and truckers are boycotting that state because of their unreasonable laws and procedures. I heard over the 'Horn' that OTD will gas up before entering the state and leave on flumes to gas up after they leave.

If you are interested in Ohio I can contact NMA rep there and get more information. Just let me know what you want to know.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Good to know... it's been awhile since I've been through either state - but I was always extra-cautious when I happened to be passing through. Va. seems to be pretty lax; on I-81, I-64 and I-95 traffic routinely flows at 75 mph, or 10 mph over the poste max - and doing 80-something is generally safe if you're not an idiot about it...
    Virginia was once the worst in the country for 56 mph enforcement. They got a Republican governer, and a little sense. I hope they don't backslide. They HAVE had a very rough time with their desire to outlaw radar detectors in all vehicles. They've lost every case that has gone up on appeal.
    You are sure right about Virginia - they get carried away with themselves very easily. A few years past a school crossing guard got hit by a car, and VA legislators passed a law that all school zones had to be posted at 15mph. This was a real knee-jerk reaction, because the woman hit was not working or even in a school zone at the time she was hit. Do you remember this case, Eric? You were in the DC area when this incident happened?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I know - I lived through it!

Back in the '80s, I got several "reckless driving" tickets for doing 76-80 mph (anything more than 20 mph over the posted max was an automatic "reckless" charge; still is, in fact. ). Just ridiculous. And I well remember the unctuous braying about how daaaangerous it was to drive at 70-soemthing -- issuing from the pie-hole of the cop who was writing me up - for doing what today is at worst a minor speeding ticket (if you're even pulled over - which is unlikely because 70-75 mph is the prevailing flow of traffic most of the time).

It really burned me up - and clued me in to the corrupt, cynical reality of traffic enforcement - then as well as now.