Thread: 2007 Buyer's Guide - Saturn

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

2007 Buyer's Guide - Saturn

2007 Saturn

2007 Saturn Ion

The compact Ion's standard 2.2 liter, four-cylinder "Ecotec" engine gets a boost in output to 145 (vs. 140 in 2006) and on models equipped with the optional Enhanced Performance Package and 2.4 liter, 170 horsepower engine, there are new, larger diameter stabilizer bars. Dual-mode (analog and digital) OnStar is now standard in all Ions, regardless of trim level. Other than these and other minor trim changes, the 2007 Ion lineup is basically the same as it was previously. Two trim levels are offered -- the Ion 2 and Ion 3 sedan and quad coupe body styles; the former Ion 1 sedan has been discontinued. The high-performance Red Line edition of the Ion Quad Coupe returns for '07 with the same 205-horsepower, supercharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine used previously, along with high-flow exhaust, Z-rated tires, leather seating trim and other sport/performance upgrades. The coupe comes with unusual rear-hinged half-doors to ease entry and exit into and out of the back seat.

2007 Saturn Aura

An all-new model for Saturn, the Aura is a a mid-sized sedan with both luxury and sport touches that Saturn hopes will draw in buyers who are also considering models like Honda's Accord and the Toyota Camry, among other benchmark vehicles in this class. Two trim levels are available, base XE and the luxury-sport XR. The standard engine in the XE is a 3.5 liter V-6 offering 224 horsepower. It comes mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. The step-up engine is a 3.6 liter V-6 rated at 252 horsepower; it is teamed with Saturn's first-ever six-speed automatic transmission. XR Auras also come standard with 18-inch wheels in lieu of the base model's standard 17-inch rims. Both versions of the Aura are front-wheel-drive. Front seat side-impact and full-row curtain air bags and ABS are standard on both trim levels. Later in the model run, a hybrid Green Line version of the Aura will be available.

2007 Saturn Outlook

Another new model for Saturn, the Outlook is a large crossover wagon that can seat up to eight passengers and may be ordered with either standard front-wheel-drive or an optionally available all-wheel-drive system. The Outlook has a potent 3.6 liter V-6 engine with variable valve timing as its standard powerplant -- producing 263 horsepower on base XE models with single exhaust and 267 horsepower on higher-trim XR models equipped with dual exhaust. Both XE and XR versions of the Outlook get a six-speed automatic transmission. Seven or eight-passenger seating configurations may be ordered -- with GM's Smart Slide system standard on the second row for all trim levels. Smart Slide allows the second row seat cushion to be flipped up while the seatback slides forward, compressing the space taken up by the seat and making more room for taller passengers or cargo. The Outlook has 116.9 cubic feet of cargo space when the second and third row seats are folded -- and almost 20 cubic feet when both rows are in place. For safety, six air bags (including three-row curtain bags) are standard and those vehicles equipped with the optional OnStar system will get Turn By Turn Navigation -- which provides step-by-step "spoken" directions through the vehicle's audio system.

2007 Saturn Relay

Introduced in '05 along with its other General Motors minivan family members, the Buick Terraza, Chevrolet Uplander, and Pontiac Montana SV-6, the Saturn Relay offers an SUV-flavored look and a slightly higher ride height as an alternative to traditional minivan styling. For 2007, the formerly optional 3.9 liter, 240 horsepower V-6 becomes standard equipment -- along with GM's StabilTrak stability control system and a new, lower priced base model (Relay 1) designed to make the Relay more affordable to more potential buyers. Relay offers seven-passenger seating capability and available all-wheel-drive. Family friendly features include air conditioning, a CD/MP3 stereo with rear controls and headphone jacks, a DVD entertainment system, cruise control, keyless entry, and the OnStar communications/safety system. Available options include a hard-drive-based Mobile Digital Media system with MP3, WMA and WAV playback capability, a second-row toy box, XM satellite radio, and a remote starter function. Later in the model year, an E85/Flex-Fuel capable version of the 3.9 liter V-6 will become available.

2007 Saturn Sky

The Sky is a stylish and low-slung, two-seat roadster that shares a platform (though not exterior panels ) with Pontiac's Solstice. It is arguably the more attractive of the two -- and comes with more standard equipment, including features like air conditioning, standard 18-inch rims, keyless entry and ABS. The Sky's standard engine is a 2.4 liter, 177 horsepower four connected to a five-speed manual transmission -- with a five-speed automatic available as an option. For 2007, a high-performance Red Line version of the Sky joins the lineup. It features a 260 horsepower turbocharged direct-injection 2.0 liter four-cylinder engine, firmer suspension setting, polished 18-inch wheels, dual chrome-tipped exhaust as well as its own interior enhancements, such as Red Line-specific instruments (including a digital boost gauge), metallic sill plates and stainless steel trim. Since the Sky was introduced in calendar year '06 as an '07 model, changes for the '07 calendar year are minimal -- other than the addition of the Red Line version.

2007 Saturn Vue

The big news for '07 is the addition of the gas-hybrid VUE Green Line, which offers an attractive balance of mileage/performance and price. It offers as much as 20 percent better fuel economy relative to the non-hybrid VUE, or an EPA rated 27 MPG in city driving and 32 MPG on the highway. Because the GReen LIne's hybrid system is less complex than other hybrids (it does not propel the vehicle in pure electric mode, for example) it is less expensive than comparable hybrids models such as Ford's Escape hybrid. The VUE Green Line's MSRP is just under $23k and the cost of its hybrid system is about $2,000 vs. as much as $4,000 or more for otherwise similar competitor models. The Green Line has a 2.4 liter, 170 horsepower gas engine supplemented by an electric motor and battery pack for extra acceleration capability when needed. Otherwise, changes to the VUE lineup for 2007 are minimal. The Power Package (with cruise control, power windows, locks and mirrors and remote keyless entry) is now standard on all Vues and Deep Blue replaces Pacific Blue on the color palette. Base four cylinder and optional V-6 engines are carryovers.

END

Staff

Re: 2007 Buyer's Guide - Saturn

I am partial to Saturn products, particularly the Aura, which has the essentials that my L-Car has: 4 doors.

Having tested the Aura, I found the XE model to be pleasing in all respects. The exterior is well-proportioned with a lustrous paint job and an excellent color selection. Panel fit is excellent and the doors and trunk close with a solid "thunk." The interior is jewel-like for its class. The insturments and gauges are logically placed, clear and easy to read. The radio and climate control are easy to operate, although the heater controls are placed closely to the console. The dash and interior trim is color matched to the interior and is very tastefully executed. The interior looks like a car costing $10,000 more.

To access the cupholders, you have to pop open a door and slide it back. If I owned the car, I would leave the door open as I suspect that constant opening and closing the cupholder door will cause it to break over the longer term. The armrest has ample storage inside of it.

The front seats were supportive and comfortable. I believe that they would handle a long trip without delivering the requisite backache to anyone over 25. The rear seats are spacious and there appears to be ample headroom for even the tallest passengers. I believe that I could put my bike in the back seat area of the car as I do with my present Saturn, without difficulty.

Starting and running the Aura along busy city streets was a pleasure. The 3.5 L V6 delivered ample acceleration to handle most passing maneuvers with ease. In my short road test, body roll was minimal and the car executed lane changes with relative ease. The steering was precise and the car was sure-footed in its responses to steering wheel inputs. Visibility was excellent allowing you to see far ahead as well as around the vehicle at all times.

During the road test, I observed that the trip computer read 18.7 mpg, which is good for a car that was mainly a road test demo model.

I would recommend this car to anyone searching for an exceedingly competent 4 door sedan save for two caveats:

One, the Saturn Aura comes with On-Star as a standard feature. I'm sure that there is a way to turn it off, but I don't know how.

Second, the car has a top speed limiter that clips you off at about 110 mph on the base model and at 115 for the costly XR model. That is way too slow for my tastes.

As far as the On-Star goes, its a deal breaker until I can figure out how to seamlessly disconnect the feature.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Aura's definitely a nice-looking car and a solid package, overall - I just wonder whether the Curse of GM will kill it....

Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Aura's definitely a nice-looking car and a solid package, overall - I just wonder whether the Curse of GM will kill it....
    Only if GM does something stupid like cancel the car. My opinion is that GM right now is poised to be the best domestic automaker, if it isn't already. It does piss me off that they seem to be the first to ram their idea of appropriate technology down your throat before the others.

With Bob Lutz near the top, I haven't seen any evidence of really lousy decision making like what is going on at Ford. Ford is in danger of going out of business at this point. Ford is the most myopic organization I have ever seen. In three years, they have cancelled something like 13 car lines and can't seem to pull together a cohesive product plan.

They are recycling cool names like Montego and Fairlaine and putting them on minivans and crossover vehicles. The only real car that they are building is the Mustang, and it is plagued with the old mustang faults such as cheap interiors, loud engines, crappy steering and cramped interiors. No, the mustang was never a large car, but it seemed as if teh 1960s versions were lighter and had more room in them. It is that I'm getting older. I simply have no use for the Mustang at this point.

Ford is truly pathetic. William Clay Ford is more interested in fishing, recycling, and collecting insects than building cars. The new Ford CEO from Boeing probably hasn't built even a model Airplane, but is now charged with turning the organization around. I doubt that you will see new and innovative product out of that company anytime soon.
    Passenger aircraft have changed little since the 1970s. I say that because the planes like the 707 were the cool ones from the 1950s and the 1960s. (I liked them with 4 engines, a cloud of black smoke, and enough noise to rattle the windows!) The new 787 Dreamliner is a slug. You will get plenty of opportunities to sleep and dream, since it is slower than the prior aircraft. How did they do that?

Yes, Ford is in trouble.

I think I"m repeating myself, but Ford is in a lot worse trouble than is GM.