Thread: Ham Radio

DonTom

Ham Radio

I see some mention of ham radio, repeaters and such in this section. Are any of you guys hams?

73, DE AA6GA (ex-WB6YYO <back in the 1960's>)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Ham Radio

I'v e seen some guys doing this on the top of the mountain at an overlook (I run past it on my jogging route, so I see them and they see me - and both have no ideee what the other thinks he's doing!)

MikeHalloran

Ex KN2TPI here. I was 13 years old.

Most ham chatter then consisted of guys talking about the radio they were using.

Since I didn't have money for a radio of my own, I didn't have much to talk about.

DonTom

"KN2TPI here. I was 13 years old."

What year was that? Are you sure that your call wasn't WN2TPI? Or is that one of the newer callsigns and not novice? I was WN6YYO as a novice around 1965 or so.

"Most ham chatter then consisted of guys talking about the radio they were using."

Yes, a lot of them were into their radio or proving that it works, such a contests, DX, etc. Not too much rag chewing unless it was a small local group on 80 meters or something like that. I like these computer QSO's a lot better. I was mostly on CW when I was active on HF. Most of that was in the 1970's.

"Since I didn't have money for a radio of my own, I didn't have much to talk about."

I always built my own transmitters. Mostly from TV sweep tubes & other parts from televisions I would find at a junk yard. The only problem was getting a decent receiver.

-Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I always built my own transmitters. Mostly from TV sweep tubes & other parts from televisions I would find at a junk yard.
    Since you built your own, did you run a "California kilowatt"?(g)

The only problem was getting a decent rceiver.
    The best receiver then, and for many years, was the WW II surplus BC-348.

DonTom

Since you built your own, did you run a "California kilowatt"?(g)

Yes, up to a full KW, legally, using four 872B's in grounded grid.

The best receiver then, and for many years, was the WW II surplus BC-348.

That thing drifted too badly for SSB or CW. I had a cheap Lafayette radio receiver that worked quite well. I cannot remember the model number of that thing, but it was reasonably stable. Later, I had a Hellicrafter's SX-117,
    -Don-

D_E_Davis

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Yes, up to a full KW, legally, using four 872B's in grounded grid.
    I guess you're too young to catch my reference(g). In the thirties and forties so many hams weres so over-powered that the term "California kilowatt" became slang for a kilowatt drive to the grids of the final.

That thing drifted too badly for SSB or CW.
    That I didn't know. Although I had a Class II license for many years, and enjoyed talking about ham gear, I never even considered getting a ham license as I felt learing Morse was a complete waste of my time and effort.

MikeHalloran

It was 1957, or maybe 1958. I'm pretty sure it was _K_N2TPI.

My Dad had a big Hallicrafters receiver, but it was pretty much 'off limits', ... because I was known to take things apart and redirect the parts. He was still pretty steamed about me disassembling his working Edison phonograph for the gears.

DonTom

I'm pretty sure it was _K_N2TPI.

Was that a novice class callsign? And if so, would they have given you a K2TPI callsign when you upgrade? I don't have a clue how they did things in 1957. I was 8 years old then.

-Don-

MikeHalloran

I understood they would just remove the N when I got a more advanced license. I really didn't care much for the TPI part, because I couldn't think of any cute mnemonic to go with it. No matter; I found other things to do.

DonTom

I understood they would just remove the N when I got a more advanced license.

So it was a novice class! That explains it all. It also tells me that you're from either New York or New Jersey.
    -Don-

MikeHalloran

Upstate NY.