Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 39

Thread: "Personal Best" top speed run?

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    "Personal Best" top speed run?

    What's the fastest indicated top speed you've achieved on public roads? And in what car?

    Is it the 130 Club?
    The 140 Club?
    150?

    Triple the double nickle?

    Of faster....?

    Be honest!


  2. #2
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    What's the fastest indicated top speed you've achieved on public roads? And in what car?


    235 kmh in a my Volvo 740 turbo....on the autobahn in Germany
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    What's the fastest indicated top speed you've achieved on public roads? And in what car?


    235 kmh in a my Volvo 740 turbo....on the autobahn in Germany
    There's a straight stretch of road justbefore the turn-off to our place that I routinely wind the ZRex to that speed - and then some!

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Most illegal? 75mph ... in a 25mph zone, back when I lived in Charlotte.

    Seriously, my top speed is "only" 95mph, on I-540 in the Mini Cooper S (early Sunday morning, no one was up yet). It was suprisingly stable at those speeds.

    Chip H.

    Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    Most illegal? 75mph ... in a 25mph zone, back when I lived in Charlotte.

    Seriously, my top speed is "only" 95mph, on I-540 in the Mini Cooper S (early Sunday morning, no one was up yet). It was suprisingly stable at those speeds.

    Chip H.
    Yes indeed! Since I get to drive new cars all the time (and drive them fast) I have an appreciation for how well the current crop can handle high speeds. Most feel totally unstressed at 100 mph (excluding econo-boxes and SUVs); many will pull to 130-plus before beginning to breathe hard. I had a 'Vette Z06 up into the 160s and it was almost a non-event...!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Kwozzie1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Australia
    Posts
    2,072

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric



    There's a straight stretch of road justbefore the turn-off to our place that I routinely wind the ZRex to that speed - and then some!
    The Volvo was flat tack at that ...only a 4 cylinder 2.3 litre engine. But it sat on the road like a brick ( a Swedish one)
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

  7. #7

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    The fastest I've ever done - not that fast, really - I did 100 on US 12 in Montana a little west of Miles City in my former vehicle, a 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE. It was certainly up to the task, and eastern Montana's backroads are great if you "Feel the Need for Speed" - wide, straight, flat, and completely deserted. Incidentally, I did this drive after the return of speed limits in Montana, so it was also highly illegal!!

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric



    There's a straight stretch of road justbefore the turn-off to our place that I routinely wind the ZRex to that speed - and then some!
    The Volvo was flat tack at that ...only a 4 cylinder 2.3 litre engine. But it sat on the road like a brick ( a Swedish one)
    Yep!

    The Kaw begins to hit a wall (air resistance) at around 150; it will go faster, but not quickly. The speedo reads to 170, so far I have not "pegged" it - but I've come pretty close!

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanMeosh
    The fastest I've ever done - not that fast, really - I did 100 on US 12 in Montana a little west of Miles City in my former vehicle, a 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE. It was certainly up to the task, and eastern Montana's backroads are great if you "Feel the Need for Speed" - wide, straight, flat, and completely deserted. Incidentally, I did this drive after the return of speed limits in Montana, so it was also highly illegal!!
    Hi Mean,

    I was with Ford and a few other journalists a few years back, at the press intro for the Excursion - in Montana. We had a conga line of them running 90-100 mph "all out" on those open Montana roads... you could literally see the fuel gauge go down, fyi.

  10. #10
    gail
    Guest

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    What's the fastest indicated top speed you've achieved on public roads? And in what car?

    Is it the 130 Club?
    The 140 Club?
    150?

    Triple the double nickle?

    Of faster....?

    Be honest!

    I know from my history that everyone thinks I'm a Speed Goddess, not so - even in the desert my top speed has been 105. I feel comfortable cruising between 90 and 95.

    However, this morning I was cruising at 80 in a 45 zone. Really stupid! Not my driving 80, but that the 6-lane freeway had a 45mph speed limit posted. Incidently, I was being passed by everybody, but I stayed out of the hammer lane. :


  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    I'm lucky to live in an area with some great roads - and few people - so I routinely clock 130-plus (usually once or twice a week at least, on the bike) with 150--plus runs not especially rare or infrequent. I've got the motive and the opportunity to break the 180 barrier... I just need the machine!

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Back in 1958, I worked for a Pontiac Dealer in New Mexico. The shop goal was to get to 100 by the time you hit the city limit sign and past 120 (the speedo ended there) shortly after. The '57 Pontiac was one of the fastest production stock cars at that time, so, I'm 120 plus on the ground and 535 indicated MPH in the air at 1100 feet altitude with a Douglas A/B-26 stripped down tow target ship with a hard nose. Same plane on a 10,000 ft runway at Naha Air Base, Okinawa, 165 Indicated.

  13. #13
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Back in 1958, I worked for a Pontiac Dealer in New Mexico. The shop goal was to get to 100 by the time you hit the city limit sign and past 120 (the speedo ended there) shortly after. The '57 Pontiac was one of the fastest production stock cars at that time, so, I'm 120 plus on the ground and 535 indicated MPH in the air at 1100 feet altitude with a Douglas A/B-26 stripped down tow target ship with a hard nose. Same plane on a 10,000 ft runway at Naha Air Base, Okinawa, 165 Indicated.
    That is perhaps the best viignette du jour! Lucky you! (I had to settle for flogging SS Monte Carlos in the mid'80s at the Chevy dealership where I spent summers as a lot boy).

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    >>Lucky you! <<

    Lucky that I didn't kill myself and take a few others along for the ride!
    Right now, my Toyota Sienna is electronicly governed to 109 MPH. As soon as you get there, and it gets there rapidly, it shuts down till it gets back below 109.
    One day, I'll borrow my son's Lexus GS300 and see if it will do the 160 that the speedo shows! :-)

  15. #15

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Top speed on a public road: 117 MPH in the desert (the speed governor kicked in).
    Top "reckless" speed: 85 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. It was a 10 lane freeway that had all of these "double fine" and "construction" warnings...but no construction! The condition was the same from before when the limit was posted at 70. My V1 told me everything I needed to know right after passing those 45 MPH signs. I was down to 45 in a heartbeat...much to the anger of fellow motorists who were unaware of what was about to be foisted upon them: a hungry pack of "super troopers" who looked like they were trying to win a vacation contest.

  16. #16
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
    Top speed on a public road: 117 MPH in the desert (the speed governor kicked in).
    Top "reckless" speed: 85 MPH in a 45 MPH zone. It was a 10 lane freeway that had all of these "double fine" and "construction" warnings...but no construction! The condition was the same from before when the limit was posted at 70. My V1 told me everything I needed to know right after passing those 45 MPH signs. I was down to 45 in a heartbeat...much to the anger of fellow motorists who were unaware of what was about to be foisted upon them: a hungry pack of "super troopers" who looked like they were trying to win a vacation contest.
    We're neck and neck!

    Back in the '80s, I got several "reckless" tickets for doing in excess of 20 mph over the (55 mph limit). In those days, 76 mph was technically "reckless driving"- and I got half a dozen or so...

  17. #17
    jillsuncle
    Guest

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Well Eric,

    I am a member of the "140" club in my stock 2004 Mustang GT. I did have Z rated rubber installed prior to the run up I-40. It was still accelerating when I remembered that if caught going over 120 in Tenn. - YOU GO TO JAIL! ???

  18. #18
    jillsuncle
    Guest

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    People who go over 100 MPH in Mini's, Volvo's and motorcycles are banned from this site. If you post less than 100 MPH U2 are BANNED FROM THIS SITE. Stop trying to ROLL in your Chevy Cobalt! <-- ERR! the RAGE! :

  19. #19
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,761

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    Quote Originally Posted by jillsuncle
    People who go over 100 MPH in Mini's, Volvo's and motorcycles are banned from this site. If you post less than 100 MPH U2 are BANNED FROM THIS SITE. Stop trying to ROLL in your Chevy Cobalt! <-- ERR! the RAGE! :
    ..hey now, got a Mini Cooper S well into the 120s.. and still pulling pretty decently!

  20. #20
    larryflew
    Guest

    Re: "Personal Best" top speed run?

    130 89 Supra and 123 91 Vette - both had more but I did not knowing those speeds are jail time here.

Similar Threads

  1. 2012 Mazda5: It puts the "mini" back in "van"
    By Eric in forum New Car/Truck Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 10:27 AM
  2. Another 70 IQ thug afa-lete "hero" and "role model"
    By Eric in forum Hate Pro Sports - and jocksniffers?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 03:34 PM
  3. Is it ever ok to "speed"?
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-13-2010, 08:37 PM
  4. National Felons League "heroes" and "role models"
    By Eric in forum Hate Pro Sports - and jocksniffers?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 07:06 PM
  5. Your personal "tipping point"?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •