Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mother and Mother in NJ

gail

Re: Mother and Mother in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    They are so much better at hawking cut-priced Chinese-made stuff (and thereby helping to eviscerate the US economy/manufacturing base) , aren't they?
    Not to mention the things made by child labor in other counties and illegals in this country. They are a piece of work!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    They are so much better at hawking cut-priced Chinese-made stuff (and thereby helping to eviscerate the US economy/manufacturing base) , aren't they?
    Not to mention the things made by child labor in other counties and illegals in this country. They are a piece of work!
    I loathe Wal Mart and everything it stands for.

gail

I loathe Wal Mart and everything it stands for.

quote]. Now the truth comes out[/ LOL

Staff

The other retailers do it as well. None want to differentiate themselves by claiming "made in the USA."

I suppose it is because of the American Greedy consumer who wants to get something for literally nothing.

They are part of the problem as well.

I also find it absolutely disgusting that some "Christian" groups say that W-M is their favorite store. Is it their favorite because they sell more Bibles than anyone else or because they placed Timothy LaHaye's Left behind books on every endcap to torment the rest of us? I am not as virulently against Christians or their morality as some on this board, but I am damned sick of these pretender heirs to the W-M fortune and the pious jerks who supported George Bush (Sr an Jr) over better qualified candidates in 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004. I hold Christians to a higher standard because they claim to have a monopoly on truth. Obvously, they couldn't see that there were better qualified people than Bill Clinton, George Bush, Bob Dole, Al Gore, George Bush II and John Kerry over all of those years. In addition to their political ineptness, by buying products without regard to the country of origin, they are inadvertently promoting slavery, which we thought has been eradicated. Another demonstration of inconsistency is Republicans and Christians dismay over open borders and their seeming embrace of Free Trade.

All that said, I prefer Christian principles overall over, say Moslem ideas. Most rank and file Christians I believe have the country's best interests in their hearts. I can't say the same about Moslems.

gail

swamprat wrote <>

I agree with that. I also think the airline did the right thing with those Muslims as well.

Not only is our nation turning in to Sodom and Gommorah, but Babel as well. It is getting where I can't understand many people, and they act like I should learn their launguage rather than they learning mine.

A few weeks before all this stuff started with Wal-Mart - I was shopping there and I spied supposingly a woman in a burka - I mean, how can you tell who is under all of those clothes - maybe a terrorist with bombs strapped areound his chest. But anyway, my first thought was - If I strolled in with the American ski mask on - I would have been arrested. Or maybe a KKK hood. What is happening in our country that we can "trust" a Muslim, but the rest of us are suspect ???

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"A few weeks before all this stuff started with Wal-Mart - I was shopping there and I spied supposingly a woman in a burka - I mean, how can you tell who is under all of those clothes - maybe a terrorist with bombs strapped areound his chest. But anyway, my first thought was - If I strolled in with the American ski mask on - I would have been arrested. Or maybe a KKK hood. What is happening in our country that we can "trust" a Muslim, but the rest of us are suspect ???"

The root problem here is we are told we must "respect" religious nonsense - because it is religious. Get rid of the religious excuse and the nonsense can be dealt with.

Whether it's Islamist nonsense or Christian nonsense!

It is getting where I can't understand many people, and they act like I should learn their launguage rather than they learning mine.
    Thin ice here! As the descendant of immigrants to 'your' country, you speak a language which is itself foreign to the original inhabitants of the country!

Hi Dave

[to Gail]

>>Thin ice here! As the descendant of immigrants to 'your' country, you speak a language which is itself foreign to the original inhabitants of the country! <<

but these immigrant people had guns.... eh wot! But never mind. US soldiers in Iraq will civilize 'em...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    Thin ice here! As the descendant of immigrants to 'your' country, you speak a language which is itself foreign to the original inhabitants of the country!
    Nice try, but terribly wrong.

Everything has to be taken in context. The time is history is very important. By trying to cast events between 300 yrs one must be very careful. The Americas were settled by an evolutioary process. The better system over the weaker system. It was neither racist, or injust.

Being Dutch (I arrived here when I was 5) I can tell you the power of the US of A is that we have a common language. I think it's an unspoken fact, that when you come here, we are one for all, all for one. By having one common language everything - business, medicine, shopping,news, elections, etc is all on the same level. It is what bonds us together.

In Europe, there is a collection of petty nation states. Each wanting it's own language - see how many folks speak Welsh (my grandfather) - it's silly. It's only been 60 yrs since Germany last invaded many of it's neighboring states.

I understand that older immigrant folks may not learn English, but surely, anyone under 50 should certainly speak English.

People who come here, should understand that a commitment to the US, is one of assimilation. If they want to be really different or weird, they should not come here, because that's not we are about. Yeah, you can 'stress' the system and declare it's a free country to do what ever you please... but you're just being a PITA.

I see these 30 yr old Somail gals in Mpls, with nothing showing but their faces - these people are stupid - we should send their familes back - they are not about helping us - it's all about themselves!

>>People who come here, should understand that a commitment to the US, is one of assimilation. If they want to be really different or weird, they should not come here, because that's not we are about. Yeah, you can 'stress' the system and declare it's a free country to do what ever you please... but you're just being a PITA.

I see these 30 yr old Somail gals in Mpls, with nothing showing but their faces - these people are stupid - we should send their familes back - they are not about helping us - it's all about themselves!<<

Right On-- If they came here to escape their old political ways, they should conform to ours. In order for any of us to be successful in their country we'd have to conform to their language and customs.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand
    It is getting where I can't understand many people, and they act like I should learn their launguage rather than they learning mine.
    Not really. The facts and suppositions are interesting. My earliest ancestor was Peter Brown (some like to put a "E" at the end, but my family isn't pretentious and have left it off), a lowly cabin boy came over on the Mayflower.

They had a great appreciation for the Indians, and their relationships were good at that time. Samoset knew English. My ancestors thought he must have been sent by God. Some speculate that he learned English from passing ships, or maybe from the colonies in Virginia. But whatever or whoever, English was the language, even though most of us would be hard pressed to understand it today.

I frankly don't understand why we don't call what we speak American, because we certainly have difficultly understand the Brits and they us.

A friend of mine went to take her tests to become a citizen, she flunked the English test. She was so furious with the judge, she told him, "I may have flunked the American test, But I didn't flunk English." Then of course we have thought it cute to claim words of other languages as our own.

Oh Well 8)

gail

Plus -- English is the International language.

I got this E-Mail:

A pilot on the tarmac spoke to the control tower in German. The control tower answered back that he needed to repeat his request in English. To which the pilot said, still speaking in German - "Why should I speak English? I am a German pilot, in a German airplane at a German airport." There was a pause and the comtroller said, "Because you lost the war?"

;D

DonTom

"Because you lost the war?"

"If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a vet."

-Don Quoteman