Thread: Naked wish list

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Naked wish list

If I could have my wish granted, it would be for Kawasaki to resurrect the ZRX1200 (cancelled in '05) but up-rate the rear suspension with Ohlins dampers, inverted and fully adjustable units up front - and the current ZX10Rs engine, only punched out to 1300 ccs and producing around 175 hp.

Beauty and the beast - instead of another plastic-covered appliance that gets the job done but isn't much to look at...

Or am I just cranky?

rc74racer

Re: Naked wish list

Why not just buy a salvaged zrx and then find a zx14 motor and stuff it in there and upgrade the suspension? It could be a winter project for you and then you would have perhaps the badest naked bike around.

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer
    Why not just buy a salvaged zrx and then find a zx14 motor and stuff it in there and upgrade the suspension? It could be a winter project for you and then you would have perhaps the badest naked bike around.
    That is a capital idea; actually, one could just buy a solid Rex, then add the "full" Muzzy big bore/cam kit - which results in (according to Muzzy) about 170 hp. That is plenty, eh?

Might have to look into this....

rc74racer

Not sure about the big bore kit and reliability I don't know enough about the muzzy kit or the zrx for that matter. You can also add a turbo but reliability probably becomes an issue there too. I really the bike has plenty of grunt stock but it's like anything else good you always want more. I kind of like the idea of stuffing the 14 engine in there because you can have 210 reliable ponies and it would be really different. Can you imagine a top speed run with a 210hp zrx? I believe aerodymanics would come into play even more.

How is the wind on yours when you are at 150+?

Muzzy's got a good rep and bear in mind the Rex engine is basically the old ZX11 engine - with milder cams and less compression; so all he's really doing is ramping both back up. 160-170 hp for a large cc Kaw is not excesssive and shouldn't cause reliability issues...

Mine feels ok at speed - but I am pretty much in full crouch and hugging the tank... it pretty much hits a wall around 150 - it will go faster, if you have room, but it takes time!