Thread: How to dump old coolant?

DonTom

How to dump old coolant?

Getting rid of used engine oil is fairly easy these days, as many auto parts places will accept it. IIRC, they also take used auto tranny fluid, which can be mixed in with the old used engine oil. But they don't accept any other fluids, AFAIK,

But what's the proper way to get rid of used engine coolant, used power steering fluids, brake fluid and other such stuff?

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: How to dump old coolant?

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    Getting rid of used engine oil is fairly easy these days, as many auto parts places will accept it. IIRC, they also take used auto tranny fluid, which can be mixed in with the old used engine oil. But they don't accept any other fluids, AFAIK,

But what's the proper way to get rid of used engine coolant, used power steering fluids, brake fluid and other such stuff?

-Don-

My area offers/accepts these hazardous materials at recycling centers and I bet if you checked with your local government you'll be able to locate similar.

DonTom

My area offers/accepts these hazzardous materials at recycling centers and I bet if you checked with your local government you'll be able to locate similar.

That sure was a fast reply (I think it was less than one minute!).

But I was hoping for a different answer. I don't know about here in the Reno area, but that is a real hassle in SSF. They only accept hazardous materials at a certain time and only something like one day per month. If I cannot make that time on that day, I am SOL. Do the professional repair shops bring such stuff to these hazardous material recycling centers?

But if I do take coolant there, it gives me a good reason to get the three year old gasoline out of my BMW motorcycle and bring that to them too. BTW, it would not surprise me if this gasoline still runs the bike fine, but I don't think it's a good idea to chance it. I have left gasoline alone (no Sta-Bil) for more than two years with no problems at all, but I don't want to push it!

-Don- (now in Reno)

I try!

But to answer your question: Since I have several vehicles (including "farm" equipment) I keep a couple of large drums for storing old il and so on. When they get near full, I take them in for recycling - which is at most twice a year.

If you can do this, it's what I recommend. The hassle is minimal and you may even be able to get a few coins for a drum-full of used oil, etc.

Staff

I dump it in the apartment dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    I dump it in the apartment dumpster.
    I can't do that kind of stuff anymore; my conscience bothers me too much...!