Thread: Best mileage new vehicles by class

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Best mileage new vehicles by class

Each year, the Environmental Protection Agency compiles its Fuel Economy Guide to educate car buyers on fuel-efficient vehicles. The following gas-powered, cars and trucks have the best fuel economy within the listed vehicle classes.

Compact Cars (Range: 13 - 40; Avg.: 22/32)

Toyota Yaris 34 39
    Honda Civic 30 40

Midsize Cars (Range: 11 - 36; Avg.: 18/29)

Hyundai Elantra 28 36
    Pontiac Vibe 29 34
    Toyota Matrix 29 34

Full-Size Cars (Range: 11 - 33; Avg.: 17/26)

Hyundai Sonata 24 33
    Toyota Avalon 22 31

Luxury Cars (Range: 10 - 32; Avg.: 17/27)
    Audi A3* 25 32
    Audi A4* 24 32
    Lexus IS 250* 24 32

Sports Cars (Range: 10 - 32; Avg.: 17/26)

Volkswagen GTI* 25 32
    Volkswagen Eos* 23 31

SUVs (Range: 12 - 30; Avg.: 16/23)

Toyota RAV4 (2WD) 24 30
    Honda CR-V (2WD) 23 30

Pickup Trucks (Range: 13 - 27; Avg.: 15/22)

Toyota Tacoma (2WD) 21 27
    Ford Ranger (2WD) 21 26
    Mazda B2300 (2WD) 21 26

Minivans (Range: 17 - 26; Avg.: 18/25)

Mazda5 21 26
    Dodge Caravan 20 26

Staff

Re: Best mileage new vehicles by class

Eric:

You didn't include the Honda Civic Hybrid or the Toyota Pious.

I think that they return better mileage, but I'm too lazy to look them up. Sorry. Those vehicles a tad less intersting than buying catfood.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Eric:

You didn't include the Honda Civic Hybrid or the Toyota Pious.

I think that they return better mileage, but I'm too lazy to look them up. Sorry. Those vehicles a tad less intersting than buying catfood.
    Yep; but they're in a different class - "hybrids" - and it's not really fair to categorize them with conventional vehicles, etc.

DonTom

but they're in a different class - "hybrids"

Somebody told me that the electric motor is always used in a hybrid to run the vehicle and the gasoline engine is only used to keep the batteries charged. Is this true in any, none or all hybrids?

I think somebody else mentioned that it runs on gasoline on the freeway, but on electric motor in the city, with the engine charging the batteries, whenever moving. I don't know which is true, but I think this way makes more sense!
    -Don-

It depends.

In a "mild hybrid" - the electric motor/battery pack is used for supplemental power only; for example, when additional power is needed to climb a hill. But the gas engine is always running (when the vehicle is moving; some "mild" hybrids can shut off their gas engine at a traffic light/when the vehicle is stopped - but it is re-started as soon as the driver presses down on the gas pedal and the vehicle begins to move, etc.)

In a "full" hybrid (such as the Prius) the vehicle may operate fully in either electric or gas or "combo" mode. At low speeds, or when the vehicle is stopped, the system shuts down the gas engine and the car is powered by the electric motor/battery pack. Under full throttle acceleration, both gas and electric systems are engaged to provide maximum power. But the vehicle can also be driven on pure electric power only - and that is the defining difference between a "mild" and a "full" hybrid!

DonTom

"In a "full" hybrid (such as the Prius) the vehicle may operate fully in either electric or gas or "combo" mode. "

Is this selection only automatic or can the driver select or override the defaults?

(as you know, motorcycle riders normally like to do everything themselves, that's why you don't find many automatic trannys in motorcycles)

-Don-

The system is controlled by the ECU/computer; the driver pl;ays no role.

Some models do allow the driver to use the "regenerative braking" setting for the transaxle to provide engine braking - and recover some of the energy of motion to be "recycled" as electricity to keep the batteries charged.

But none let the driver decide when to turn off the gas engine, etc. It's all handled automatically.

DonTom

But none let the driver decide when to turn off the gas engine, etc. It's all handled automatically.

Oh, okay. Thanks for the info.

Some of the day shift workers where I work have hybrids. During the rush hour they can use them in the car pool lanes (even when alone) and cross the bridges for free. It's those who live on the other side of the bay from SF who have them. Saves several bucks per day in bridge tows and helps pay for itself. If I lived on the other side of the bay and worked days, I would probably buy one too (as if we didn't already have enough vehicles!).

BTW, we drove our 99 Ford Mustang (3.8 L) to here (Reno). When we got here, we used the 2002 Mustang (also 3.8L) one day and the 1997 Sebring (2.5L) all day the next. Both these cars still look like new because most of the time they just sit in the garage. The 2002 has 30K miles on it now, the 97 Sebring Convettable has about 80K on it.

-Don-

np!

I just took my '00 "Super Sherpa" KL250 out of mothballs; cleaned the carb, changed the oil (Motul synthetic) lubed the chain and got her ready for the season. I'm one of those dudes who enjoys winter-weather dirt bike riding... it's bracing to pile through a foot of standing water when it's 35 degrees outside!

The VW diesels are no longer in the list. The 2006 New Beetle TDI was rated at 42mpg highway.
    Maybe they'll return in a year or two, once the fuel & emissions stuff gets sorted out.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff

The unspoken idea is that once cars meet the 2007 diesel regulatioins, the efficiency advantage of diesel engines may be substantially reduced or erased completely, all in the pursuit of the enviornmetalist dream to tear down the industrialized world.