Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the worst cars ever made....

Re: Thoughts on the worst cars ever made....

Quote Originally Posted by pgranzeau
    An incomplete list.

For instance, the East German Trabant should have been on the list. It was not only a terrible car (with a 2 cycle 2 cylinder engine), it was a toxic waste hazard, due to the type of plastic used for the hood and doors.
    But fun to drive............around the block ONCE!

How did those poor East Germans travel any distances in them

I drove one when visiting friends there not long after the wall came down. Awful handling and terrible brakes the stand out features I remember
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I think it'd be good fun to have one - or a Yugo - just to play with. But I haven't seen an operable/running Yuog (let alone a Trabant) in probably 15 years now....

>>Neither have I. But, I've noted that most mechs check the side posts for loosness as a first step in troubleshooting a hard start/no start problem, and they've remarked to me many times that they often find side posts loose.<<

A bigger problem than side posts loose is corrosion on the top terminals that is invisible. The terminals will build a hard surface coating that insulates them from making a connection. A simple resistance test with a voltmeter finds all that stuff.
    Battery in the floor is an old trick use on many of the cars built in the 30's.
    For many years, the worst car ever built in my estimation was one that never needed repair. I spent too many years in the automotive service industry and made my living from cars that broke and mechanics who didn't know how to fix them! : ;D

mrblanche

I did see a really spiffy Chevette yesterday. Looked brand new. Maybe someone's hobby restoration? Figured they had nothing to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    But fun to drive............around the block ONCE!

How did those poor East Germans travel any distances in them

I drove one when visiting friends there not long after the wall came down. Awful handling and terrible brakes the stand out features I remember
    The USAF museum in Dayton Ohio has one:

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I did see a really spiffy Chevette yesterday. Looked brand new. Maybe someone's hobby restoration? Figured they had nothing to lose?
    It could be!

I have seen several such over the past few years; maybe nostalgia is the source of this illness?

There's a guy around here who has a near-museum-quality Aries-K car. I don't know whether it has been restored, but it sure looks like it has!

mrblanche

I just cry about the perfect '56 Chevy I failed to raise the money for in 1969, and my '41 Chevy my mother sold out from under me while I was out of town. Actually, she traded it for a wringer washer!

I just cry about the perfect '56 Chevy I failed to raise the money for in 1969, and my '41 Chevy my mother sold out from under me while I was out of town. Actually, she traded it for a wringer washer!
    I bet many o fus have similar tales of woe!

I had a chance, back around 1983, to buy a pretty decent, "driver condition" 383/4-speed Super Bee for (wait for it) .... $2,200.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I bet many o fus have similar tales of woe!

I had a chance, back around 1983, to buy a pretty decent, "driver condition" 383/4-speed Super Bee for (wait for it) .... $2,200.
    Heck, you could buy a new one in 1969 for not a whole lot more than that!

And, you could get it with a flowered vinyl top!

You could make a living today by taking a roll-back car carrier and traveling the backroads of Arkansas, buying old cars out of barns and collapsing garages.

Now, here's a kicker. I'd love to find a 1984 Firebird or Camaro with a 4-cylinder and 5-speed transmission. I still have the book on how to hotrod that engine, and, although the aluminum blocks and heads are no longer available, the Iron Duke could be brought up to over the HP of the biggest V8 available at that time. It would be quite a conversation piece, don't you think?

DonTom

- and no fun if you have to jump-start the thing!

Eric, have you read your owner's manual about jump starting?

The reason I ask is because our 1997 Sebring has the battery behind the left front tire, which is a hassle to get to. However, under the hood, it has a place to jump start that's very easy to get to and safer. I bet your car does too.

Don't think you need to get to the battery to jump start. In fact, that's not recommended for the negative lead of what you're using to charge from. Keep all sparks away from the battery. One in a great while the battery will blow up from a spark. That's why when you jump start, you put the positive wire ONLY on the battery + (no spark possible) and then the negative somewhere on the engine away from the battery (let the spark happen there, where it's safe).

Perhaps the reason they hide the batteries in some cars is so you cannot get to it to jump start for safety reasons. But that does NOT mean it is not easy to jump start away from the battery.

Now, go read your owner's manual!

-Don-

Yes!

I remember the four-cylinder Camaro very well.

The Iron Duke four was also used in the Fiero and there were (at the time) lots of speed parts available... I really like the Fiero; it's another car I would not mind having - and which has a lot of potential (then and now).

mrblanche

The Lumina had a positive battery post up in an easily-reached spot for jump starting, too. For that matter, the Cobalt does, of course.

Trust me - the positive cable's no easy thing to get to, either!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    The Iron Duke four was also used in the Fiero and there were (at the time) lots of speed parts available... I really like the Fiero; it's another car I would not mind having - and which has a lot of potential (then and now).
    The 1986 Fiero was a darn good car, and had most of the original problems solved. It was a great commuter car, immune to door dings, for example. And, since the designer was a smoker, it holds the record for the most ashtrays in a car! Plenty of places to keep change for tolls. You can make the car a screamer, but you should probably invest in some sort of permanently fixed headlights; that was a high-failure item, and one you can't buy parts for today.

The Fiero was a great little design. Essentially, the whole front end of an X-car was moved behind the driver, with the steering gear removed.

It was indeed - and it's a tragedy the concept was ruined by poor implementation. Had the '86 model appeared in '84 (instead of the original, with its Chevette-sourced underpinnings) it would have been a huge hit. But th defects and compromises GM built into the original soured the public on the car. Toyota picked up the ball and ran with it - in the form of the MR2.

GM has a terrible habit of doing this kindof thing. The Corvair and Vega are two previous examples. Then there was the Allante... and so on....

mrblanche

I think the only Chevette parts on the '84 were the front suspension basics.

I, personally, have always had fun twitting the Toyota gang calling the MR2 the "Fiero-san."

I think the only Chevette parts on the '84 were the front suspension basics.

I, personally, have always had fun twitting the Toyota gang calling the MR2 the "Fiero-san."
    I can't recall- but I do remember the negative PR was disastrous... the car never recovered.

GM still does this sort of thing, even today... it's an indication of the company's contempt for the buying public and its interest in short-term profits vs. building cars that people will remember 20 years from now....

I think the real definition of "worst car ever" applies to cars where you'd much rather be walking than be seen in.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I think the real definition of "worst car ever" applies to cars where you'd much rather be walking than be seen in.

Chip H.
    By that standard, how about a Mary Kay Caddy?

mrblanche

It used to be a big joke among truckers about those poor Mary Kay drivers who had to drive those gosh-awful "titty pink" (you will please excuse the expression, I'm just quoting, here!) trucks. Then it became known how they were equipped (very well, indeed) and how they were paid (extremely well, indeed), and the talk died down.

Of course, my last truck was pink, too. Well, rose. And so is my hot rod!