Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TAXES

gail

TAXES

I got this little ditty in an E-Mail today and thought the rest of you would enjoy it.

What Happened?

At first I thought this was funny...

then I realized the awful truth of it.
    Be sure to read all the way to the end!

Tax his land,
    Tax his bed,
    Tax the table
    At which he's fed.

Tax his tractor,
    Tax his mule,
    Teach him taxes
    Are the rule.

Tax his cow,
    Tax his goat,
    Tax his pants,
    Tax his coat.

Tax his ties,
    Tax his shirt,
    Tax his work,
    Tax his dirt.

Tax his tobacco,
    Tax his drink,
    Tax him if he
    Tries to think.

Tax his cigars,
    Tax his beers,
    If he cries, then
    Tax his tears.

Tax his car,
    Tax his gas,
    Find other ways
    To tax his ass

Tax all he has
    Then let him know
    That you won't be done
    Till he has no dough.

When he screams and hollers,
    Then tax him some more,
    Tax him till
    He's good and sore.

Then tax his coffin,
    Tax his grave,
    Tax the sod in
    Which he's laid.

Put these words
    upon his tomb,
    "Taxes drove me
    to my doom..."

When he's gone,
    Do not relax,
    Its time to apply
    The inheritance tax.

Accounts Receivable Tax
    Building Permit Tax
    CDL license Tax
    Cigarette Tax
    Corporate Income Tax
    Dog License Tax
    Federal Income Tax
    Federal Unemployment Tax (FUTA)
    Fishing License Tax
    Food License Tax,
    Fuel permit tax
    Gasoline Tax (42 cents per gallon)
    Hunting License Tax
    Inheritance Tax
    Interest expense
    Inventory tax
    IRS Interest Charges IRS Penalties (tax on top of tax)
    Liquor Tax
    Luxury Taxes
    Marriage License Tax
    Medicare Tax
    Property Tax
    Real Estate Tax
    Service charge taxes
    Social Security Tax
    Road usage taxes
    Sales Tax
    Recreational Vehicle Tax
    School Tax
    State Income Tax
    State Unemployment Tax (SUTA)
    Telephone federal excise tax
    Telephone federal universal service fee tax
    Telephone federal, state and local surcharge taxes
    Telephone minimum usage surcharge tax
    Telephone recurring and non-recurring charges tax
    Telephone state and local tax
    Telephone usage charge tax
    Utility Taxes
    Vehicle License Registration Tax
    Vehicle Sales Tax
    Watercraft registration Tax
    Well Permit Tax
    Workers Compensation Tax

COMMENTS: Not one of these taxes existed 100 years ago,
    and our nation was the most prosperous in the world.
    We had absolutely no national debt, had the largest middle class
    in the world, and Mom stayed home to raise the kids.
    What happened?
    And I still have to "press 1" for English.
    I hope this goes around world 10 times

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: TAXES

There's no question the tax burden on average Americans is outrageous; my own view is that no one - regardless of income - should have to pay more 25 percent of his income (at ALL levels). Many Americans are paying 40-50 percent or more of their income in taxes - and that is just obscene.

I especially object to property taxes - which mean you never really own anything since your continued "ownership" is contingent on continuing to pay the taxes levied.

DonTom

And I still have to "press 1" for English.

I wonder how long it will be until we have to press "2" or "3" for English.

-Don-

DonTom

"What happened?"

My guess is excessive heterosexual behavior. Taxes & other problems increase as the population increases. How many kids did you say that you have?

There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce.
    --Mark Twain

Humanity is the sin of God.
    --Theodore Parker

-Don-

gail

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    "What happened?"

My guess is excessive heterosexual behavior. Taxes & other problems increase as the population increases. How many kids did you say that you have?

There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and finish the farce.
    --Mark Twain

Humanity is the sin of God.
    --Theodore Parker

-Don-
    I keep telling myself - "It isn't always about you, Gail." But then, maybe it is! ;D

I feel that taxes should not be higher than 10% or what? I don't know. Benjamin Franklin said - "Tax everything, but a man's wages."

You've heard "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness?" Originally, it was "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of property." Only a man owing property could vote. And they call what we have now "progress."

DonTom

You've heard "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness?"

Have you heard:

For every benefit you receive a tax is levied.
    --Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin.
    --Mark Twain

The tax collector must love poor people--he's creating so many of them.
    --Bill Vaughan

I'm proud to pay taxes in the United States; the only thing is, I could be just as proud for half the money.
    --Arthur Godfrey

But since everybody is taxed, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. I mean if there were no taxes at all, we would have instant inflation and our money would be worth less anyway. I don't consider taxes in the USA to be a serious problem. Most other "free" countries pay a lot more in taxes than we do. Take Canada and England for a couple of examples or any country that has national health.

As long as we know where and how the money is spent, we shouldn't have too much of a problem. But IMO, we are now wasting way too much of our federal tax revenue in Iraq.

-Don-

mrblanche

"What happened?"

That would be a good reason for lowering taxes, not raising them.

Look at it this way. If there were only 1 person in the country, he would have to pay every penny that it cost to run the country. But if there were 2 people, each would only have to pay half, and the cost to run the country would not increase significantly.

If every person paid their fair share, all our taxes would be lower. But when you have a significant minority paying virtually no taxes, it rasises the burden on the rest of us.

DonTom

"Look at it this way. If there were only 1 person in the country, he would have to pay every penny that it cost to run the country. But if there were 2 people, each would only have to pay half, and the cost to run the country would not increase significantly."

That may be true with two people, but not when there are many millions of people and all the government programs it takes to care for millions of people. We know where our tax revenue goes. It is not kept secret. The only thing I strongly disagree with is the money wasted NOW on Iraq.

"If every person paid their fair share, all our taxes would be lower. But when you have a significant minority paying virtually no taxes, it raises the burden on the rest of us."

IYO, who does not pay their fair share? Most of the money is still in the middle class, so if a few rich pay nothing, it doesn't make a big difference. Besides, even if the rich pays no tax, what they invest in often does, so it comes out to about the same revenue anyway.
    "Death and taxes are inevitable."
    --Thomas C. Haliburton

-Don Quoteman

mrblanche

There are many who do not pay taxes, and many who pay more than they should. The majority of taxes will always come from the middle class, because that's where the money is. If you put a 100% tax on income over $100,000, you'd raise enough money to run the government for a couple of weeks...but you could never do it a second time, because everyone would figure out a way not to make more than $100,000 in taxable income.

Almost 50% of all Americans pay no income tax, by the way.

I would advocate a national sales tax and abolish the income tax. Some arrangement would have to be made for the lowest incomes, but that wouldn't be too difficult. As it is, many have figured out ways to freeload on the system, and the only taxes they pay are sales taxes and the "hidden" taxes on everything they buy.

By the way, it's not hard to figure out about hidden taxes. A good example is the diesel tax levied on trucks. It's supposed to be a road tax, but most of it is not spent that way, and every penny of it is passed on to the consumer.

DonTom

" If you put a 100% tax on income over $100,000, you'd raise enough money to run the government for a couple of weeks...but you could never do it a second time, because everyone would figure out a way not to make more than $100,000 in taxable income."

This is already true. My yearly income alone (not counting Tom's) has been over 100k for many years now. My house in CA was paid off, and is under the CA prop 13, so I pay very little in property tax. So I was paying a lot in federal and state income taxes. So I bought this second house mainly for a tax break. Now I pay property tax in two states, more here in NV on this new house than in CA for a dumpy house. But our old dumpy house near San Francisco is worth three times the value of this new house in NV (BIG difference in property values between the two states). So now I am paying some money in interest, which is tax deductible, as well as more property tax which is also tax deductible on my federal and state income taxes.

But in reality, does it make any difference in the revenue collected? Now I pay more property tax, to help build schools and other stuff as well as pay more interest to a bank which has to pay tax on this interest. So in the end, it comes out about the same.

While a federal sales tax sounds nice, what do you think that would do to the countless non-profit organizations that many donate money and items to and only give a receipt for a tax deduction? How do you think these places will do if the only tax was sales taxes and nobody had any benefit at all to make a donation?

"Almost 50% of all Americans pay no income tax, by the way."

What is the main reason? Poor or rich? I doubt if it's the rich! We seem to have more poor people than rich in this country. Everybody I know pays income tax. I don't think there is any state income tax here in NV (is that correct, Gail?), but the other taxes here are high enough to make up for it. Anyway, Since I work in CA, the no income tax here in NV does me no good. But perhaps Tommy should look into making this house his primary residence now that he has retired, so there will be no CA state income tax on his retirement pay. Worth looking into.

"By the way, it's not hard to figure out about hidden taxes. A good example is the diesel tax levied on trucks. It's supposed to be a road tax, but most of it is not spent that way, and every penny of it is passed on to the consumer."

What is the diesel tax used for? But who cares? It's used for some type of government service and somebody has to pay.
    -Don-

I don't believe the rich (or anyone else) should be taxed excessively; the "politics of envy" is nothing to be encouraged.

What's needed is a way to equalize things between the "tax-payers" and the "tax-eaters" - in other words, dealing with the entitlement mentality and all it produces.

I have many ideas as to how to achieve that end, but they are politically incorrect in the extreme!

DonTom

I have many ideas as to how to achieve that end, but they are politically incorrect in the extreme!

Are you too chicken to post them? If Not, I would enjoy hearing your politically incorrect ideas. BTW, are they your ideas or Mormon ideas?

-Don-

gail

Are you too chicken to post them? If Not, I would enjoy hearing your politically incorrect ideas. BTW, are they your ideas or Mormon ideas?

-Don-
    ROTFLMAO ;D

shally

The first time I heard something like this it was George Harrison.

A quick look at this web site shows it all-- and how untrue the statement after the poem is.

http://www.tax.org/Museum/default.htm

gail

Quote Originally Posted by shally
    The first time I heard something like this it was George Harrison.
    Hi, Shally - welcome to our "friendly," OK, flesh-ripping debate - mine. Tell me, whose post are you answering? I got lost.

-Don-
    Never!

Ok, here are some specifics:

* No one receiving public assistance who is able to work may vote;
    * People receiving public assistance who are physically able must work (on CCC-style public works/improvement projects, etc.) in order to receive benefits;
    * Absolutely no public assistance for illegal aliens;

The above steps would dramatically cut back federal entitlements and "transfer payments," which constitute a large chunk of federal expenditures and thus add to the federal tax burden; the "gimme" mentality (and federal pork it creates) would be held in check.( I personally do not believe any physically able person is entitled to a government check paid for by the labor of an honest worker - who is compelled to provide it upon threat of being imprisoned if he declines to do so. That is morally indefensible in my book. Helping the helpless is one thing; being forced to provide for deadbeats, grifters and louts something else entirely.)

Next:

* Dismantle the IRS; in its place, erect a national "flat tax'/ sales tax program. The waste (human and monetary) associated with current tax compliance/collection would be eliminated - and the liberty-threatening/invasive current tax system shit-canned.

* Massively cut wasteful "defense" programs; America does not need 10,000-plus nuclear weapons (just one example) and there are myriad areas the budget allotment could be cut back with no harm to legitimate "security" interests.

That would be a good start, eh?

DonTom

That would be a good start, eh?

They don't sound all that bad to me. Do you think that was what Gail wanted too?

BTW, Tom & I are not all that PC ourselves. It really depends on the issue. In fact, believe it or not, Tom is a registered Republican! Nevertheless, he believes Baby Bush is the worst president we have ever had.

I am a Libertarian and I think like one too.

BTW, why is the spell checker in this forum so flaky? It does NOT stop on many misspelled words and sometimes stops on a word that is spelled correctly. For an example, it says the word "okay" is misspelled.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    A quick look at this web site shows it all-- and how untrue the statement after the poem is.

http://www.tax.org/Museum/default.htm
    Cool site, Jim. Thanks for the link.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

gail

Eric wrote:
    < * People receiving public assistance who are physically able must work (on CCC-style public works/improvement projects, etc.) in order to receive benefits;
    * Absolutely no public assistance for illegal aliens;

>>

Agree and add:

*only children born of American Citizens become American Citizens - not visitors, or illegals.