Thread: Electric Vehicle beats Viper

Electric Vehicle beats Viper

mrblanche

Re: Electric Vehicle beats Viper

You think that's impressive...how about a street driven diesel pickup beating a Viper?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV0XJePUitI

>>You think that's impressive...how about a street driven diesel pickup beating a Viper?<<

The electric would have smoked the Dodge---

mrblanche

Which Dodge?

And note the hybrid is sometimes quite slow on all-electric, and would only beat the pickup by less than a half second at its absolute fastest speed.

And the Mazda isn't street driven.

Here's a video of it beating the Viper...but you'll note on this run, it would NOT have beaten the Dodge pickup.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/elect_2_hi.ram

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Which Dodge?

And note the hybrid is sometimes quite slow on all-electric, and would only beat the pickup by less than a half second at its absolute fastest speed.

And the Mazda isn't street driven.

Here's a video of it beating the Viper...but you'll note on this run, it would NOT have beaten the Dodge pickup.

http://www.electrifyingtimes.com/elect_2_hi.ram
    The Maniac Mazda - The World's Quickest Street EV
    They sure seem to think it's a street vehicle and turned in 11.039
    Perhaps on that run it didn't beat the Dodge time, but all it takes is once-- and it did that---The Dodge never turned in a faster time than the Mazda-- At least you didn't show it, and it sure didn't puke all that ugly black smoke into the air, either!

mrblanche

They said they even quit taking it out of the street for test drives.

But here's a link to the Diesel Hot Rod Association. If you read through it, you'll find one of their champion racers drives his 4wd pickup to all the races from Minnesota (and there's one in Baytown each year), takes off his road tires, puts on his slicks, and runs as low as 10.4 in the quarter.

http://www.dhraonline.com/

Here's the link for you.

>>They said they even quit taking it out of the street for test drives.<<

They don't want to embarass the piston engine crowd--- ;D

>>But here's a link to the Diesel Hot Rod Association. If you read through it, you'll find one of their champion racers drives his 4wd pickup to all the races from Minnesota (and there's one in Baytown each year), takes off his road tires, puts on his slicks, and runs as low as 10.4 in the quarter.<<

You forgot the link---
    I'm sure that the diesels are quite good at this time, but as battery technology gets better, expect a revolution in electric powered things. We are having one in the model plane business now. Electric planes are quite the thing. The biggest problem is the battery technology is not quite up to par yet. Charging those Lipo batteries is a big problem when not done exactly right and they have a tendency to explode & burn.

mrblanche

Better battery technology has been "right around the corner" for at least 30 years. I've stopped holding my breath.

I posted the link up above.

Unless the government bans them, diesels will be with us for a long time to come. And the newest technology makes them actually cleaner than a gasoline car, as well as more efficient. AND more expensive!

>>Unless the government bans them, diesels will be with us for a long time to come. And the newest technology makes them actually cleaner than a gasoline car, as well as more efficient. AND more expensive! <<

Lets hope that they don't become the majority-- we'll have to throw away a lot of gasoline-- Only about 30% of the barrel of oil can be refined into diesel fuel.

mrblanche

That's not a concern. When you take out the amount required for plastics, synthetic fibers, fertilizers, and pharmaceuticals, I don't think you'll ever see a problem. And they won't become a majority here, unlike in Europe (where they don't throw away gasoline, either).

>>And they won't become a majority here, unlike in Europe (where they don't throw away gasoline, either).<<

Europe is still not over the 30% mark yet---

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Europe is still not over the 30% mark yet---
    49% of the cars sold in Europe in 2005 were diesels. In some countries, such as France & Italy, over 70% were diesels.

>>49% of the cars sold in Europe in 2005 were diesels. In some countries, such as France & Italy, over 70% were diesels. <<

Sold and what is on the roads are two different things. What is the % of diesels to gas that are in service?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    Sold and what is on the roads are two different things. What is the % of diesels to gas that are in service?
    I'll see if I can find figures for that. I'd think that in the more diesel-minded countries it's well over 50%, as diesels have had a very large market share for ten years or more.

>>I'll see if I can find figures for that. I'd think that in the more diesel-minded countries it's well over 50%, as diesels have had a very large market share for ten years or more. <<

An interesting project for you!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Yes - but it costs a heckuva lot more and only goes so far on a charge!

My sport bike can beat them both (up to 160 or so anyhow) and for less than $10,000.

mrblanche

And we have a number of guys who can beat both of them in cars costling less than $10,000.

We have one club member who first built his car over 40 years ago, drives it all over the country every summer, parks it in his living room, and has a well-earned "Viper Eater" license plate. And if that didn't work, I guess he could get his old, retired Fuel Altered car out of the corner of the garage and show him what "Fear and Loathing, Shock and Awe" looks and sounds like!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

... speaking of which:

I still remember a great article Car Craft (or maybe it was Hot Rod) did years ago...basically, they took a stone stock 1970 Cadillac DeVille and systematically removed metal, then ran the quarter mile. By the time they got down to the bare frame/chassis, the car was running 12s!

"Caddy Hack" was the name of the story!

mrblanche

Yeah, I remember the article.

The results were amazing, and was the car, by the time they were done,