Thread: from www.speedtrap.org (a great letter!)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

from www.speedtrap.org (a great letter!)

Check it out:

Letter to the editor:

I want to tell you a tale of two cities, and tell you how happy I am to live in mine, and not in yours. You?ve got a very big problem, and you may not even know about it. If you don?t, I?ll tell you. If you do, I have a good suggestion.

I am a mature, college-educated, professional woman, a native West Virginian who lived in Richwood (Nicholas County ? same county as Summersville) for thirty years. On September 16, 2000, at one o?clock in the afternoon, my elderly mother and I pulled into Burger King to eat. We got out of the car and slowly started to walk up to the restaurant. (My Mom can?t get around like she used to, but I was patient.)

Before we could get very far, a police car, with blue and white lights flashing, screeched to a halt crossways behind our car, and a uniformed officer jumped out and ordered us to return to the car, get in our seats, and close the doors. My first thought was, How fortunate we are to have alert policemen on the job when danger threatens! They were protecting us!

I probably shouldn?t have been curious, but I couldn?t help it. I asked if there was a problem. He then repeated that we were to get back in the car and close the doors, which we did. We waited. He then tapped the car door on my side (the driver?s side) to ask, "Have you had a speeding ticket within the last two years?" I answered honestly but probably unwisely, "Yes, I have. Right here in Summersville at this speed trap". Uh-oh.

It then dawned on me that there was no robbery in progress, no snipers in the bushes. No aliens had landed. The policeman was after me and my Mom! He demanded my driver?s license, registration, and insurance card.

As I opened the door to get out, the policeman jumped back, started waving his arms in the air, and shouting and yelling that I was obstructing an officer, and he threatened to "take me in." Well, his behavior scared me a little, since I had planned on a hamburger and fries in a restaurant, not bread and water in the hoosegow!

He went to his police cruiser, whose lights were still flashing like crazy. I began to feel sick and had to go to the bathroom. I waited as long as I could, then got out, and told him I needed to go to the restroom. He ordered me to go back to the car. I explained to him that I was recovering from gall bladder surgery and needed to go to the restroom. "Get back in your car," he screamed. I couldn?t wait any longer and went to the restroom in Burger King anyway.

As I was drying my hands on the hot-air machine, I was appalled to see Burger King employee Tammy holding the restroom door wide open, so Summersville?s Finest could keep an eye on me in the restroom. He yelled at me in the restroom to obey his order to return to my car! I help up my hands and showed him they were wet and told him I would as soon as I dried my hands.

This officer of the law, sworn to protect and serve, kept yelling and threatening me in front of Burger King employees and patrons who were furtively looking around for Clyde, sure that Officer Barney had cornered Bonnie in the women?s restroom. When my hands were dry, I obediently walked back to the car, got in, and sat down.

Barney then tried to throw the book at Aunt Bea. He repeatedly threatened to "take me in." He also kept saying he was not finished with my speeding ticket, indicating that he was conjuring up in his head a whole list of terrible offenses against the peace and security of Summersville. He laughed when I said I?d sue him if he didn?t behave, and said he gets sued everyday. However, he then called for another officer, sensing he might need backup to handle a woman who knows her rights. Officer Goober then pulled up to my window, said condescendingly he thought there was a misunderstanding between Barney and me. He then authoritatively lectured me that anytime an officer tells me to stay in the car, I am to stay in the car.

Finally, Barney gave me a ticket. Mom and I got out of the car, and went, this time unimpeded, into Burger King. Goober came in behind Mom and me, and stood beside me. Barney was in the kitchen talking with Tammy, who had held the restroom door open for him. When he came out of the kitchen, I asked him if he got her name. He mumbled something. I asked Goober what he said. Goober said, "He said it?s his right to get her name." I said I would like to have her name too, but Goober said, "If you say one more word about this we will take you before the magistrate right now." I turned my back to him and faced my mother. I assume they left.

I wished I could have talked with some of the customers in Burger King about what they saw and heard. However, so much time had passed that most of them had time to leave. Also, the ones that were left were still in shock from the spectacle they had witnessed. Later, I did phone Burger King to get Tammy?s last name. The manager, Luther, stated he could not give out that information.

So there you have it. As for Barney and Goober, they should stay in their cars, where they belong, and phone in their orders to Burger King. They should not be out in public.

Let the City simply deputize Burger King employees as police officers. Then, when you go in for your hamburger, Luther or Tammy can ask politely, "You want a ticket with that?"

Libby Gee Smith
    Fairmont, West Virginia

Re: from www.speedtrap.org (a great letter!)

Cowboy Cops!!

We have them here too!
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: from www.speedtrap.org (a great letter!)

Quote Originally Posted by Kwozzie1
    Cowboy Cops!!

We have them here too!
    They are... everywhere!