Thread: FWD "rice" vs. RWD "muscle"? "

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

FWD "rice" vs. RWD "muscle"? "

It's an old - and ongoing - debate: the import sport-compact vs. the rear-drive traditional muscle car. Where do you come down on this argument? I personally prefer V-8/RWD cars - but can respect and appreciate fast FWD/imports. Some will beat my 455 Trans-Am in a straigh line with less than half the engine displacement. And all will leave me in the dust on a twisty... so I can admit their virtues, although I'd personally never drive one myself. Gimme a primer black Charger (like Blade's) over a winged-up, fartcanned Civic any day of the week!

Re: FWD "rice" vs. RWD "muscle"? "

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    It's an old - and ongoing - debate: the import sport-compact vs. the rear-drive traditional muscle car. Where do you come down on this argument? I personally prefer V-8/RWD cars - but can respect and appreciate fast FWD/imports. Some will beat my 455 Trans-Am in a straigh line with less than half the engine displacement. And all will leave me in the dust on a twisty... so I can admit their virtues, although I'd personally never drive one myself. Gimme a primer black Charger (like Blade's) over a winged-up, fartcanned Civic any day of the week!
    Why is it that folks call Jap coupe style cars ...sports cars!!
    An Insult really
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

DonTom

Where do you come down on this argument?

Tell me what type of driving I want to do for each trip and I will tell you what type of vehicle I would want to use for that trip.

Like what Harry Hurt said about motorcycle helmets "Tell me what type of accident you will have and I will tell you which helmet is best for that type of accident" , BTW, in MOST motorcycle accidents, the CHEAPEST helmets you can buy are the best!

-Don-

"Why is it that folks call Jap coupe style cars ...sports cars!!
    An Insult really"

I dunno.. the S2000s certainly as legit as a Miata, for instance...

"Like what Harry Hurt said about motorcycle helmets "Tell me what type of accident you will have and I will tell you which helmet is best for that type of accident" , BTW, in MOST motorcycle accidents, the CHEAPEST helmets you can buy are the best!"

You sure about that?

I rarely see the Euro/Brit "cert" applied to the cheap helmets - and the Euro/Brit test/standards are higher than our Snell/DOT standards...

Also, those cheap helmets are often heavy - which leads to neck strain, which by itself can be a safety hazard. And poorly fitted, too. And not so hot on the ventilation front, either!

I am speaking, incidentally, of sport bike helmets here...

My cheapest helmet cost me about $300...

DonTom

You sure about that?.

Yes, based on the fact that most motorcycle accidents are at less than 25 MPH. Most motorcycle accidents are at intersections, most common is the car turning left into the bike when the bike is not going all that fast.

I rarely see the Euro/Brit "cert" applied to the cheap helmets - and the Euro/Brit test/standards are higher than our Snell/DOT standards..

That is correct. But the point that you're missing here is that at 25 MPH a cheap soft helmet (dot rated) does much better than a harder Snell or the other more expensive helmets. Harry Hurt studied countless motorcycle accident victims to come to this conclusion.

There is no doubt that a more expensive helmet is better at a much higher speed fall when you may hit your head a lot harder than in the average accident.

Because it's hard to guess on what type of accident that you will have, Dr. Harry Hurt recommended wearing a helmet with ANY rating because the wrong helmet is much better than no helmet.

Read this:

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html

-Don-

Good stuff - thanks for the link!

I am reading the article now...