Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to pick a first car for your teen driver

DonTom

Re: How to pick a first car for your teen driver

As long as you have traction--- try them on ice----

But do the wheels really lock up? But I don't doubt it makes little difference on ice if they lock up or not.

-Don-

>>But do the wheels really lock up? But I don't doubt it makes little difference on ice if they lock up or not.<<

They lock up-- the object of the system is to stop the wheels from turning and on Ice-- that's easy! ;D

DonTom

the object of the system is to stop the wheels from turning

I thought the objective of ABS was to prevent the wheels from locking while the car is trying to move faster than the wheels are rotating, while braking. That would mean no lock up until a complete stop.

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

If there's no traction at all ( as on a sheet of black ice) inertia will carry the vehicle in the direction of momentum, irrespective of ABS!.

In snow, you have diminished traction - but traction. So it is very useful to have ABS...

Good stuff!

I finally 'fessed up after college - and they didn't seem angry. Maybe because I didn't actually break anything....

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    As long as you have traction--- try them on ice----

But do the wheels really lock up? But I don't doubt it makes little difference on ice if they lock up or not.

-Don-
    Back ice confused the system, so to speak. With full pedal applied, the system will try to avoid lock-up, but since the wheels will almost immediately lock on black ice (due to virtually nil traction) what you get is a kind of frantic "pumping" (on many cars, you can hear the system engaging) as the it searches for grip. But it does no good because there's nothing to grab!

DonTom

what you get is a kind of frantic "pumping" (on many cars, you can hear the system engaging)

I could hear that when our Jeep was braking in the snow last year -- when the ABS still worked!

-Don-

what you get is a kind of frantic "pumping" (on many cars, you can hear the system engaging)

I could hear that when our Jeep was braking in the snow last year -- when the ABS still worked!

-Don-
    Yep!

Many people are under the mistaken impression that ABS means the car is invulnerable to sliding/loss of grip; and of course, that just ain't so.

ABS was designed to do two related things: One, prevent wheel lock under full/panic braking (because most drivers do not understand "threshold braking"- and even if they did, few non-professional race drivers can "outbrake" ABS) and, two, allow the driver to mantain directional control (the ability steer the car) under full braking. Without ABS, the wheels lock and the car cannot be steered until the driver releases pressure on the bakes and the wheels are no longer locked up, etc.

D_E_Davis

if the car isn't stopping, just push the brake pedal harder!

With ABS that's working correctly, why not?
    Who said this bonehead had ABS - I didn't!

mrblanche

I thought the objective of ABS was to prevent the wheels from locking while the car is trying to move faster than the wheels are rotating, while braking. That would mean no lock up until a complete stop.

-Don-
    The only way for ABS to work is for one wheel (or two, or three) to turn less slowly than the other. If all four lock up simultaneously, ABS just thinks you've stopped. Usually, one locks up first, but an all-four lockup may have no ABS feedback at all.

Plenty of cars with ABS in the ditch on any slippery road.

>>Plenty of cars with ABS in the ditch on any slippery road. <<

For sure, but, the system did keep me from smacking some idiot who decided to make a left turn when she clearly had no room to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric

* Choose a later model car: Basic reliability can be as important as basic safety. You don't want your kid learning the hard way about bald tires, bad brakes, shot shocks and a worn out suspension. Whatever car you end up buying, take the time to make certain it is mechanically sound and completely roadworthy; have a reputable shop or mechanic you trust give it a thorough once over -- and fix anything that needs fixing. Leave the broken down el-cheapo special "beater" for your son or daughter's second car.
    Find an 'auto auction guy' - a lot of these independents lease cars, etc. I found my guy through a friend. Anyway, a day or so before the auction, go to the lot - you will see a ton of Taraus'es, GP's, Intrepid's, etc. All vanilla cars, with too many miles. However most are a year or two old, you can test drive them. All you have to do is write down the number of the car you want. Your contact will buy the car.

It's a newer car, my daughter likes it, everything works, etc.

In 2005, I purchased a 2004 Taraus, with 24,000 miles, for $11,000 - fully loaded car, with 12,000 miles of warranty left. In the last two years, I've put a set of tires on the front.

"Find an 'auto auction guy' - a lot of these independents lease cars, etc. I found my guy through a friend. Anyway, a day or so before the auction, go to the lot - you will see a ton of Taraus'es, GP's, Intrepid's, etc. All vanilla cars, with too many miles. However most are a year or two old, you can test drive them. All you have to do is write down the number of the car you want. Your contact will buy the car.

It's a newer car, my daughter likes it, everything works, etc.

In 2005, I purchased a 2004 Taraus, with 24,000 miles, for $11,000 - fully loaded car, with 12,000 miles of warranty left. In the last two years, I've put a set of tires on the front."

Good suggestion!

derff9696

I do not believe that ABS is necessary for safety.

Do you ever drive in the snow?

-Don-

I do not feel you should have a car with ABS to learn on. I just bought a 2007 4Dr Jeep Wrangler and it is the first vehicle I have owned with ABS. I Live In PA so I have driven in a lot of snow. ABS is nice but You can get around just fine without it. The real thing is what happens when you have a malfunction and your ABS does not work? You have to know how to handle the car without it and just knowing(from drivers ED) and being able to do it are too different things.

"I do not feel you should have a car with ABS to learn on. I just bought a 2007 4Dr Jeep Wrangler and it is the first vehicle I have owned with ABS. I Live In PA so I have driven in a lot of snow. ABS is nice but You can get around just fine without it. The real thing is what happens when you have a malfunction and your ABS does not work? You have to know how to handle the car without it and just knowing(from drivers ED) and being able to do it are too different things. "

I agree with you; learning vehicle control is critical to becoming a good driver. Our "idiot-proofing" approach is creating legions of inept/poorly skilled drivers who have come to depend on their cars to keep them out of trouble - and who are extremely passive behind the wheel as a result.

DonTom

I do not feel you should have a car with ABS to learn on.

Since ALL cars these days seem to have ABS, why not?

All six of my cars have ABS.

The only reason you need to know how to brake without ABS is for when the thing breaks, as it just did in my Jeep.

-Don-

"Since ALL cars these days seem to have ABS, why not?"

Actually, that's not so. ABS is still optional on some models - even though it has become very commonplace.

And many older cars don't have ABS - so until these are all "retired," it's not a bad idea to learn about braking - as opposed to having the car brake for you!

DonTom

it's not a bad idea to learn about braking -

But whatever you learn does not apply to ABS--unless there's an ABS failure such as my Jeep.

BTW, owner's manuals mention braking techniques for ABS and non ABS. I wonder what percentage of people read them.

-Don-

"But whatever you learn does not apply to ABS--unless there's an ABS failure such as my Jeep."

Which can certainly happen!