Thread: Four door Mustang? Mustang wagon?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Four door Mustang? Mustang wagon?

Speculation is circulating that embattled Ford Motor Company is considering tinkering with the design of its most recognized car, the Mustang. Specifically, they may be contemplating making it into a four-door family sedan.

The source revealing the information to the media would not say much, but they did suggest who the intended market might be. "It's a case of reaching out to the men or women who keenly identify with the Mustang... who need a more versatile car..."

What do you guys think about this?

Staff

Re: Four door Mustang? Mustang wagon?

Well, I think that it would actually work if marketed correctly. Remember the 4-door Thunderbird?

While the Mustang is milestone car, there is nothing wrong with variations on the theme. The Mustang styling is strong enough to carry itself into other variants easily. I beleive that Ford could increase sales. I do not believe that there is anything sacred about a 2 door coupe bodystyle. It is largely inconvenient and cramped. The only thing that I would ask is that they never make an SUV or put the mustang name on a FWD sedan. That would be sacrelige.

I would consider a Mustang 4-door, even though I hate Fords in general. They would need to make it so that the 4-door didn't sound like you're in the inside of a drum when you start it. I find the Mustang GT and even the 6 cyl models to be unrefined loud and obnoxious. In spite of the reliability questions ,material and quality issues, and Fords lousy delaer/service network, , the Mustang's overall packaging is excellent enough to get me to consider looking Ford's way again.

I have heard, however, that Ford actually doesn't plan to do this. Nice trial baloon though.

I agree!

Ford will apparently be unveiling a concept called the Interceptor (great name!) at the Detroit Auto Show this year... this could be the rumored four-door "Mustang."

I hope they go for it; nothing wrong with sedan performance cars....

Staff

Witth the name Interceptor, everyone can be a cop now. Love it!!! LOL

Staff

I just hope that the Interceptor doesn't have a skinny rear door like the Mazda RX8. It looks stupid on that car and it would look dumb on any Mustang variant as well.

Those dumb little doors look like they were designed by a Kindergarten class. No offense meant to 5 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat
    Witth the name Interceptor, everyone can be a cop now. Love it!!! LOL
    Me too!

"Mad Max" was, of course, one of the bar-none best car movies ever... and eventhough it wasn't functional, that de-clutching supercharger on Max's car was just awesome!