Thread: Fewer traffic signs == safer motoring?

Fewer traffic signs == safer motoring?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/inde...pe-traffic.xml

Psychologists who support the project say typically 70 percent of traffic signs are ignored anyway, says the report.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Fewer traffic signs == safer motoring?

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/upi/inde...pe-traffic.xml

Psychologists who support the project say typically 70 percent of traffic signs are ignored anyway, says the report.
    Good stuff, Chip - thanks!

mrblanche

I had a friend who trained a lot of really good truckers. He trained something like 60 drivers, and 16 of them were million-milers at Werner when he quit.

One of his practices was to have the trainee, as he was driving, read EVERY sign. Jerry had a flyswatter, and would swat (lightly!) the trainee every time he failed to read a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    In Minnesota, it's just the opposite. They are sign crazy. The ones I hate the most are the no left / no right turn signs. Let's have a good old One Way signs, with an arrow that points in the direction of travel.

In Minneapolis, they have atleast 30% of the intersections marked with "No turn on red" who knows why? It's not that way in St Paul.

The worst are the remodeled parkways. They have signs for the bike path, pedestrian path, speed limits, 'no parking ( these must be about 1/10 of a mile apart there are 100's of them', crosswalk signs, "historic road signs' It's crazy, they completely destroyed the beauty of the parkway. Billboards would be less clutter.

Then there are the 'dot's' painted in a test section of highway. These are huge (6' in diameter?) white dots placed 225' apart. The speed limit is 55, and you are supposed to keep 2 dots between vehichles. I have to drive the stretch, and I found the dots annoying, also 550' is an absurd stopping distance for 55 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    One of his practices was to have the trainee, as he was driving, read EVERY sign. Jerry had a flyswatter, and would swat (lightly!) the trainee every time he failed to read a sign.
    When I was learning to drive my instructor would periodically ask me' 'what was the last road sign you passed?' He would also cover the mirror (only the one, internal mirror back then) & ask me what was behind me. The UK driving test includes an 'emergency stop' - the examiner will give a prearranged signal on which the candidate must stop the car as quickly as possible. My instructors attitude to that was that he taught it because it was required for the test, but in real life if you need to make an emergency stop it's a failure on your part to observe & anticipate what is going on around you. A very wise man.