Automatic License Plate Recognition

To view the ALPR video, click to view.

Very interesting............

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Automatic License Plate Recognition

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    To view the ALPR video, click to view.

Very interesting............

I could not get the video to play (Mac/AOL issues, I suspect) but I think I know what this is about - and it ain't pretty....

>>I could not get the video to play (Mac/AOL issues, I suspect) but I think I know what this is about - and it ain't pretty..<<

I think it'sgreat-- it will find stolen cars, people driving without insurance and people who have several violations that have not been answered. If you aren't a criminal you have no worry, and there is no freedom given up here and no stops or delays at roadblocks.

>>I could not get the video to play (Mac/AOL issues, I suspect) but I think I know what this is about - and it ain't pretty..<<

I think it'sgreat-- it will find stolen cars, people driving without insurance and people who have several violations that have not been answered. If you aren't a criminal you have no worry, and there is no freedom given up here and no stops or delays at roadblocks.
    Then would you also not object to having a "biometric tag" of some kind on your physical person that would permit the authorities to "run your file" whenever you go out in public? If not, why - and on what basis?

How about allowing the IRS to randomly search your records - just tomake sure you aren't a criminal? (Oh, wait - they can do that already.)

>>Then would you also not object to having a "biometric tag" of some kind on your physical person that would permit the authorities to "run your file" whenever you go out in public? If not, why - and on what basis?

How about allowing the IRS to randomly search your records - just tomake sure you aren't a criminal? (Oh, wait - they can do that already.) <<

The biometric tag thing is a little over the edge. As far as the IRS thing, if you aren't a crook, why worry? I do think the IRS should be abolished and a flat tax be put in place.

"If you aren't a criminal you have no worry"

Where does it stop?

I don't consent to vehicle searches because I value my privacy. "Got something to hide? If you don't you have nothing to worry about."

I'm completely against checkpoints/roadblocks. "If you're doing nothing wrong..."

I'm against RFID. "If you aren't a criminal..."

That statement is a cop-out.

Once again, the UK leads the US! Automatic Number Plate Recognition (the same thing) is a fact of life here.

Good & bad. There have been many cases where ANPR has been used to catch criminals without the need for dangerous chases. Police cars carry ANPR cameras linked into the national police database, so within seconds they can can know if a car they are following is stolen, untaxed, etc. Trafficmaster, a privately-owned traffic information system, uses ANPR cameras to check the progress of individual vehicles to monitor traffic speeds & make this information available to subscribers; their system does not store data. The aim of the police is to have an ANPR camera every quarter mile on major roads; such a density can only serve one purpose - speed monitoring. Data from police ANPR cameras will be retained for two years.

We are rapidly reaching the state here where everybody is assumed to be guilty........

>>That statement is a cop-out.<<

Unless we find other ways to deter the growing crime rate--- What would you suggest for catching the SOB who just stole your car?

"I do think the IRS should be abolished and a flat tax be put in place."

I agree with you there!

TC

We are rapidly reaching the state here where everybody is assumed to be guilty........
    Big Brother is watching you.

>>Big Brother is watching you.<<

So make sure that you wear clean underware

So make sure that you wear clean underware
    I always do! One of my aunts, when she was about 8 years old, was hit by a bus. My grandmother's first remark on hearing she was in hospital is alleged to have been 'did she have clean knickers on?'. Knowing my gran that was probably true!

>>One of my aunts, when she was about 8 years old, was hit by a bus. My grandmother's first remark on hearing she was in hospital is alleged to have been 'did she have clean knickers on?'. Knowing my gran that was probably true!<<

It's a very old saying, and I'll bet it's said in almost every language in the world! (And some in Gail's outerspace world too).