Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABS 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: ABS 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    I just got a phone call from BBA remanufacturing who has my CAB (Controller, Anti-lock Brake) module. As I expected, they found a problem that would keep my ABS light on. The have already repaired it and it's in the mail now and I will be able to reinstall it next week some time (the only real test, IMO).

If it all works, as I assume it will, with no more ABS failure indications, I will then consider changing the brake fluid. I guess I can do it myself as long as I am careful to keep the master cylinder full at all times. If I get air into the system, it requires an expensive scan tool (price tag is several times more than this Jeep is worth) to bleed the brakes because of the ABS -- which means that it would probably have to be towed to be fixed right. The CAB module is NOT part of the ABS hydraulic stuff, so it could safely be removed.

I assume there is a mickey mouse way to apply 12 VDC (or less) to the ABS pump motor to bleed the brake ABS, but none of my books mention such--they all say do it with the scan tool. But I don't see what a scan tool can do to bleed the brake ABS other than apply voltage on the ABS pump motor at the correct time. I guess if I screw up, I can experiment with such until I get the air out.

-Don-

Yes - and keep an assistant around to watch the fluid level as you work and top off as necessary.

On non-ABS cars, you can "gravity bleed" each wheel; it takes a little time, but it can be easier than the traditional method.

Also, one can buy "speed bleeder" screws - one-way valves that replace the OEM bleeder screws. All you have to do is turn them slightly to open; fluid can escape, but air doesn't get sucked back in. They are very handy! (I have them installed on the 'Bird...) Summit Racing carries them, I think.

DonTom

Also, one can buy "speed bleeder" screws - one-way valves that replace the OEM bleeder screws. All you have to do is turn them slightly to open; fluid can escape, but air doesn't get sucked back in. They are very handy! (I have them installed on the 'Bird...) Summit Racing carries them, I think.

That sounds great. I had no idea they exist. I have been using one of those hand vacuum pump thingies to bleed brakes / change fluid but the bleeder valves sound even easier. There's a Summit store in Reno and they always seem to have everything in stock. No inventory tax in Reno. Reno has a lot of warehouses because of this. In fact, when I oder car parts from here in South San Francisco, they usually find it in stock in Reno. Warehousing is the largest business in the Reno area. Not gambling like most people think.

-Don-

That sounds great. I had no idea they exist. I have been using one of those hand vacuum pump thingies to bleed brakes / change fluid but the bleeder valves sound even easier. There's a Summit store in Reno and they always seem to have everything in stock. No inventory tax in Reno. Reno has a lot of warehouses because of this. In fact, when I oder car parts from here in South San Francisco, they usually find it in stock in Reno. Warehousing is the largest business in the Reno area. Not gambling like most people think.

-Don-
    Check this out:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

DonTom

Check this out:

Thanks for the info! I will have to order some SB3824's for my Jeep.

-Don-

DonTom

Check this out:

Thanks for the info! I will have to order some SB3824's for my Jeep.

-Don-
    You bet!

DonTom

When I got home to SSF from Reno, my ABS module was here, returned repaired from "BBA Remanufacturing, INC."

http://bba-reman.com/

Perhaps I will get a chance to install it today before I go to work and go for a test drive. It cost $125.00 to repair plus ten bucks shipping.

-Don-

DonTom

I completed the Jeep repair today and went for a long test ride. ABS works normally now, no failure indication. The CAB (Controller, Anti-lock Brake) module was my only ABS problem. BBA repaired the module. The CAB module looks almost impossible to get into because of the way it's riveted together. I noticed the new rivets after the repair from BBA.

These same controllers are also used in Volvos and other cars. They are held onto the hydraulic unit with four Torex E-5 ( not T-5) screws (a 4 MM socket wrench MIGHT work, but I don't recommend it as it can tear up the heads a bit). The larger Kragan Auto Parts stores sell an "E" set of Torex that start with size E-4. Before I worked on this CAB module, I never even heard of the Torex "E" series.

CAB's from the late 1990's, such as mine, have a very high failure rate according to BBA and make up for about 99% of ABS failures in such vehicles.

To remove this CAB in my Jeep, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly, the cooling recovery tank, all the brackets that hold the CAB module down just to get to the Torex E-5 screws. The hydraulic unit itself has to be moved a couple of inches up to get to the screws with any known tool to hold the E-5, but that's not far enough to damage the four metal brake lines feeding it.

-Don-

Glad you are back in bidness!

But I still recommend flushing the hydraulic fluid; you're just asking for additional problems if you don't...

DonTom

But I still recommend flushing the hydraulic fluid; you're just asking for additional problems if you don't...

All four of our cars, as well as our pickup truck and Jeep (total six vehicles) have ABS. The Jeep is the first ABS problem I have seen and I never changed the brake fluid in any of the vehicles.

However, I plan on changing the brake fluid and engine oil and check the brakes on all of our vehicles right after we get back from China next month. That will be in April, when it won't be so cold in Reno. I do most of my car work there when I can.
    -Don-

It's about 5 degrees here now (without the wind chill). I ain't working on 'nothin except staying warm!

carwire
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I completed the Jeep repair today and went for a long test ride. ABS works normally now, no failure indication. The CAB (Controller, Anti-lock Brake) module was my only ABS problem. BBA repaired the module. The CAB module looks almost impossible to get into because of the way it's riveted together. I noticed the new rivets after the repair from BBA.

These same controllers are also used in Volvos and other cars. They are held onto the hydraulic unit with four Torex E-5 ( not T-5) screws (a 4 MM socket wrench MIGHT work, but I don't recommend it as it can tear up the heads a bit). The larger Kragan Auto Parts stores sell an "E" set of Torex that start with size E-4. Before I worked on this CAB module, I never even heard of the Torex "E" series.

CAB's from the late 1990's, such as mine, have a very high failure rate according to BBA and make up for about 99% of ABS failures in such vehicles.

To remove this CAB in my Jeep, I had to remove the air cleaner assembly, the cooling recovery tank, all the brackets that hold the CAB module down just to get to the Torex E-5 screws. The hydraulic unit itself has to be moved a couple of inches up to get to the screws with any known tool to hold the E-5, but that's not far enough to damage the four metal brake lines feeding it.

-Don-
    did the jeep repair shop actually do the diagnosis. I assume they mean the CAB (controller, anti-lock brake) needs replacing. It also happens to me, dealer reset the computer codes and it worked for about a week when the brakes started to fail coming down a hill that had an intersection at the bottom. I just end up buying a new brakes that cost me $800.

carwire
    did the jeep repair shop actually do the diagnosis. I assume they mean the CAB (controller, anti-lock brake) needs replacing. It also happens to me, dealer reset the computer codes and it worked for about a week when the brakes started to fail coming down a hill that had an intersection at the bottom. I just end up buying a new brakes that cost me $800

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by carwire View Post
    did the jeep repair shop actually do the diagnosis. I assume they mean the CAB (controller, anti-lock brake) needs replacing. It also happens to me, dealer reset the computer codes and it worked for about a week when the brakes started to fail coming down a hill that had an intersection at the bottom. I just end up buying a new brakes that cost me $800
    An ABS failure should NOT ever cause a break failure.

I troubleshot it myself and sent the CAB unit in for repair. It has been fine ever since. But my ABS would work intermittently, the brakes would always work fine, just the ABS would not always work. Seems the ABS in this Jeep works very well in the snow compared to all my other vehicles that also have ABS.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by carwire View Post
    Don's right; whatever happened with your brakes, the failure of the ABS pump would only lead to the loss of ABS function. But the brakes would still operate. They'd work like a standard system without ABS.

It sounds like there were other problems with your system, such as a leak in the hydraulic system or loss of power assist. Did the $800 repair include a new ABS pump?

One thing that can cause intermittent ABS failure is a bad wheel bearing. This causes the gap between the ABS sensor and the tone ring on the hub to vary, which confuses the computer.

Chip H.