Thread: Domestics losing the "Good ol' Boy" market?

Domestics losing the "Good ol' Boy" market?

I've been noticing that there's a lot of "Good ol' Boys" driving Toyota Tundras and Nissan Titans recently.

I would figure that this demographic is the core market for domestic trucks, and if the US auto makers are losing it to the imports, that does not bode well for them.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: Domestics losing the "Good ol' Boy" market?

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I've been noticing that there's a lot of "Good ol' Boys" driving Toyota Tundras and Nissan Titans recently.

I would figure that this demographic is the core market for domestic trucks, and if the US auto makers are losing it to the imports, that does not bode well for them.

Chip H.
    Me too - and it doesn't.

But I understand why. The Nissan Titan, for example, comes standard with a 5.6 liter V-8 that's more powerful than most of the optional V-8s in domestic trucks. Toyotas hold their value tenaciously - while Ford (and to a lesser extent, GM) trucks' value plummets like Rosie O'Donnel tumbling down a grassy knoll....

mrblanche

Not pickups. Cars' values plummet, but pickups do quite well, often having over 50% of their original value after as much as 10 years.

If Honda were smart, they'd make a small pickup based on the CR-V platform. The market for those isn't huge, but they're steady sellers to people who just need a pickup for an ocassional furniture move, or to go pick up some mulch.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

Honda already makes the Ute none of the domestics are brave enough to build.

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Not pickups. Cars' values plummet, but pickups do quite well, often having over 50% of their original value after as much as 10 years.
    I'd have to check current stats on that - but I do know the domestics have to use much larger incentives/rebates to keep sales up and that Nissan and Toyota have made big inroads into the pick-up market...

You mean the Ridgeline?

It's an interesting vehicle - but not meeting Honda's sales projections. I actuallyhave one this week - and will post a detailed story on it shortly...

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I'd have to check current stats on that - but I do know the domestics have to use much larger incentives/rebates to keep sales up and that Nissan and Toyota have made big inroads into the pick-up market...
    When we bought our current 2002, the used models on the lot, with the same equipment, were more expensive than the new one, when you took into accouont rebates, etc.

The Ridgeline is too big for the traditional Honda enthusiast. Plus the overall shape just doesn't work for them (which end is the front? I dunno.)

But if you look at sales of used small Toyota & Nissan pickups, you'll find that they're nonexistent, because people are holding onto them. When you do find one for sale, it's asking price isn't that far off a new one.

So, that's why I'm saying that Honda ought to introduce a small utility pickup. There's a pent-up demand for them.

Chip H.

mrblanche

There aren't enough Toyota pickups in the junkyards, either. I need a differential out of one. They are the most beautiful differentials on the market--gently tapered, and reminiscent of some of the old Buicks. The pumpkin is centered, and they look very good exposed under the rear end of a hot rod!

"But if you look at sales of used small Toyota & Nissan pickups, you'll find that they're nonexistent, because people are holding onto them. When you do find one for sale, it's asking price isn't that far off a new one."

I know!

I have a '98 Frontier; excellent little truck - and with 100k-plus on it, still runs like new.... I fully expect to put another 100k on it....

mrblanche

I'm personally prejudiced against the Frontier, but only because a drunk in one did about $10,000 worth of damage to my previous truck.

I'm personally prejudiced against the Frontier, but only because a drunk in one did about $10,000 worth of damage to my previous truck.
    Don't blame the poor Nissan for the actions of its owner!

Seriously - I have nothing but good things to say about this vehicle. It has yet to give me a lick of trouble and the drivetrain feels as tight as a new truck's. Mine's a four-cylinder/5-speed 4WD version - whicht hey don't make any longer, alas. You now have to buy the V-6 to get 4WD - and of course the current Frontier is basically a medium-sized truck now.

mrblanche

I just checked the values of my pickup. It's 5 years old, but with only 25,000 miles on it. It has lost right at 33% of its original value.

I just checked the values of my pickup. It's 5 years old, but with only 25,000 miles on it. It has lost right at 33% of its original value.
    That's pretty good!

I keep track of the "going rate" for pick-ups like mine - and nice ones are still right around $7,500-$9,000. That's for an almost ten-year-old truck with 90,000-plus miles that sold new for around $15k.....

mrblanche

When I bought my 1994 (I think) Chevy Silverado pickup, I paid right at $18,000 for it. Four years later I traded it and got an honest $17,000 for it (against wholesale on a new pickup). That pickup cost $19,000, and when it was stolen, 5 years later, I got $15,000 for it.