Thread: It had to happen!

mrblanche

It had to happen!

I've driven a truck on and off for 29 years. Mostly on for the last 16.

I've never hit a deer before, as I mentioned earlier.

But one got me this morning!

Classic case. Four-thirty in the morning, dark rural highway, spots of light rain, heavy forest on both sides. The buck came out of the woods, and got me in the side panel just if front of the front drive axle.

About $1000, I figure! If I'd been going 5 mph faster it would have been $0, because he would have just run into the wheel. And the annoying thing is I was going about 7 mph under the speed limit, due to the conditions.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: It had to happen!

Glad it wasn't worse!

In my area, deer hits are almost as common as ordinary fender benders - and it's basically a four-legged lottery as to when it'll be "your turn"!

ColleenC1

Ditto on glad it wasn't any worse.

Imagine if you had been in a car.

My ex hit a deer once, I was in a vehicle behind his truck. Did major damage to his Ford !

Wow, could have been a lot worse. Pesky buggers have an annoying habit of taking out radiators, or worse... windshields.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

mrblanche

I have seen photos of deer through a windshield, but I have never seen it myself. Not unusual for them to break a windshield, but not to the extent of coming through it.

DonTom

I've driven a truck on and off for 29 years.

What does the term "permit load" mean?

I often see that "permit loads NOT allowed" when there is a chain requirement over the mountains. I was just curious what it means.

Seems like an oxymoron for a "permitted load" to be NOT be allowed.

-Don-

>>About $1000, I figure! If I'd been going 5 mph faster it would have been $0, because he would have just run into the wheel. And the annoying thing is I was going about 7 mph under the speed limit, due to the conditions. <<

Sorry about your "hit"--- The best thing is that only the deer was injured physically-- As far as your repairs go-- I don't think there's enough meat on a deer to pay for them!

gail

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I've driven a truck on and off for 29 years. Mostly on for the last 16.

I've never hit a deer before, as I mentioned earlier.

But one got me this morning!

Classic case. Four-thirty in the morning, dark rural highway, spots of light rain, heavy forest on both sides. The buck came out of the woods, and got me in the side panel just if front of the front drive axle.

About $1000, I figure! If I'd been going 5 mph faster it would have been $0, because he would have just run into the wheel. And the annoying thing is I was going about 7 mph under the speed limit, due to the conditions.
    I'm glad you are OK, Mike. I have a son that is an OTR driver, and I worry about those things. Everytime I heard/see an accident involving an 18-wheelers it upsets me. He did have an incidence up north in east of Duluth, Minnesota, but he may have been in Wisconsin, going to Duluth. A drunk motorcyclist plowed into the back of his trailer. The cyclist's lights were off, and Eric (my son's name is Eric too), thought he had a blow out and pulled over. It was about midnight.

So I am glad you are alright and that it was only a deer.

DonTom

About $1000, I figure! If I'd been going 5 mph faster it would have been $0, because he would have just run into the wheel.

What was damaged? I would think a truck wouldn't get a scratch.

Tom hit a dear in his old 1977 Buck Regal (back in the mid 80's). This was at night and I was on my motorcycle following him, on 80 east. The deer came out from the center of the divided highway at about 6,000 feet elevation in the CA Sierras. I am glad he hit the deer and not me on the motorcycle. There was only a couple of hundred bucks worth of damage (mainly a broken grill) & the only injury was the dead deer (oh deer!). I saw the deer run in front of him & get hit while on the motorcycle (new 1984 Yamaha Venture).

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

With late model vehicles, it doesn't take much to incur $1,000 in damage!

For example, have you priced a HID headlight assembly on a new car recently?

Ouch...hurts a lotmore than replacing a $25 Sylvania sealed beam!

Back around 1996 or so a deer walked into my '87 Celebrity on a residential boulevard at the edge of town in Iowa. I seem to recall it was in November when deer are particularly active. Fortunately it wasn't fully grown. Sorta jumped into my left front fender and did $2500 damage to the fender, driver's door, and bumper. State Farm didn't even squawk about the bill and my rate didn't go up. A guy in a pickup behind me asked if I wanted the deer and I said no. The cop who responded to my cell phone call said he could have it.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

What does the term "permit load" mean?

I often see that "permit loads NOT allowed" when there is a chain requirement over the mountains. I was just curious what it means.

Seems like an oxymoron for a "permitted load" to be NOT be allowed.

-Don-

A "permit load" is one that requires a special permit to move, usually due to being oversized or overweight. The permit will specify routing, hours of movement, etc. For example, some states will allow really big loads to move only at night, others only in the daytime.

The permit will also specify where they can stop, where they MUST stop overnight, etc. Every turn, every exit is specified.

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom

What was damaged? I would think a truck wouldn't get a scratch.

Tom hit a dear in his old 1977 Buck Regal (back in the mid 80's). This was at night and I was on my motorcycle following him, on 80 east. The deer came out from the center of the divided highway at about 6,000 feet elevation in the CA Sierras. I am glad he hit the deer and not me on the motorcycle. There was only a couple of hundred bucks worth of damage (mainly a broken grill) & the only injury was the dead deer (oh deer!). I saw the deer run in front of him & get hit while on the motorcycle (new 1984 Yamaha Venture).

-Don-
    Here's a photo of my truck when it was still pretty new.

And here is the sidepanel that was damaged way back when, when a young lady lost control of her car and hit us.

The buck hit this rear panel (but on the other side of the truck) and broke it. He also knocked off the gray trim panel from this piece, as well as the piece ahead of it.

Just the paint is almost $250.

DonTom

A "permit load" is one that requires a special permit to move, usually due to being oversized or overweight. The permit will specify routing, hours of movement, etc. For example, some states will allow really big loads to move only at night, others only in the daytime.

The permit will also specify where they can stop, where they MUST stop overnight, etc. Every turn, every exit is specified.

Thanks for the explanation.

BTW, I saw an interesting part of a tire on the freeway today. It was on highway 880 in Oakland. It was just the entire outer circumference of a small tire, all one piece, no break. At least we know it's from a car, but would that have to be from a recap in this case? Or can a "normal" tire fall apart in such a way?

-Don-

mrblanche

That is the "belt pack." It was not a retread, but the regular tread of a car tire, probably one that had been run underinflated, wore out the edges of the tire, and the heat and wear allowed the tread, with the circumferential steel belts under it, to come loose from the body of the tire.

DonTom

That is the "belt pack." It was not a retread, but the regular tread of a car tire, probably one that had been run underinflated, wore out the edges of the tire, and the heat and wear allowed the tread, with the circumferential steel belts under it, to come loose from the body of the tire.
    Makes sense.

-Don-

Here's a photo of my truck when it was still pretty new.
    I don't know about trucks, but my Volvos have the best seats and power of any car I've ever owned!

mrblanche

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong
    I don't know about trucks, but my Volvos have the best seats and power of any car I've ever owned!
    Well, you should understand that the truck is made by really Volvo, not Ford. The truck division is still the original company.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong
    Well, you should understand that the truck is made by really Volvo, not Ford. The truck division is still the original company.
    So how are the seats?

mrblanche

Not great, but you have to understand that they buy them from a standard supplier, although the seats are upholstered to their design. Of course, I've sat in this one for 300,000 miles +, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.