Thread: It's a lock, no it's a barge, no it's a train .. no, it's all of the above!

It's a lock, no it's a barge, no it's a train .. no, it's all of the above!

http://www.leenks.com/gallery463.htm

I'm not sure where this is, but I would guess somewhere in the former Soviet Union.

You have to admire the engineering, but at the same time you have to ask yourself ... why??

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

MikeHalloran

Re: It's a lock, no it's a barge, no it's a train .. no, it's all of the above!

Not enough water or land to build a regular train of locks?

Google boat lift funicular for more.

mrblanche

I'm guessing that there was some good reason, not readily visible to us.

TC

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    I'm guessing that there was some good reason, not readily visible to us.
    I would say it is a quicker method than a series of locks.

mrblanche

Well, it looked like the total lift required was pretty big, so this might be the best solution. Surely even the mad Russians would use the easiest solution, especially one that had been tried before, at least!

Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    Well, it looked like the total lift required was pretty big, so this might be the best solution. Surely even the mad Russians would use the easiest solution, especially one that had been tried before, at least!
    They obviously didn't want to flow water from the back side of that dam--

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    I'm not sure where this is, but I would guess somewhere in the former Soviet Union.
    It's sorta like a floating drydock.

The Norweigian's have a really large one. So large that the USS Cole was transported for repairs!

Quote Originally Posted by chiph
    http://www.leenks.com/gallery463.htm

You have to admire the engineering, but at the same time you have to ask yourself ... why??
    It's the ship lift at the Krasnoyarsk hydroelectric dam in Russia. The dam is pictured on the 10 rouble bill, I understand. Until completion of the Three Gorges Dam on the Yangtse in China, it is the largest ship lift in the world, with a 1,500 metric tonne capacity (the Three Gorges lift will double that!). Technically, it is a "canal inclined plane", as ship lifts usually lift a section of canal locks vertically or rotationally. It is also different in that it doesn't leave the canal traffic afloat in a lock, but instead lifts it dry.

It probably was considered more economically feasible than actually constructing a canal and locks for the same 108 metre lift.