Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 Mustang door switch?

Hybrid View

DonTom

99 Mustang door switch?

In our 1999 Mustang Convertible (3.8L) the interior light stays on with all doors shut (it's set to off), Fortunately, when the alarm is set, it times out after a few minutes but we have to drive with this light on, which is a bit irritating at night. This used to be an intermittent problem and could be temporarily fixed by shaming the doors a couple of times. But that no longer does any good. So it's fairly obvious my problem is a door switch.

I left all my Ford shop manuals at our other home in the Reno area and not sure when we will get back there (depends on the weather over the mountains).

Here's the problem. I don't see a door switch! I don't have a clue how to fix this when I cannot find the door switch that's used to turn off the interior light.

Anybody here know what trick they use for a door switch in a 1999 Mustang?

-Don-

Re: 99 Mustang door switch?

It may be part of the latch mechanism.
    Hopefully you can order just the switch, once you determine which door is causing it.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

DonTom

It may be part of the latch mechanism.

Could be, but I don't see it anywhere and cannot take the door off just to try to find it. We didn't get to our other house this week either. It's snowing over the mountains now with a tire chain restriction. Maybe I will be able to get to my service manuals next week.

I have a Chilton's Ford manual here, but they don't mention the door switches for the interior lights. I have the factory shop manuals at the other house that will have everything for this car.

-Don-

DonTom

This should help---

Thanks, but that looks fairly normal for a door switch. Since I cannot find anything like that, I have to now wonder if my 1999 Mustang uses whatever they used in year 2000.

What I really need is the location of this switch as it doesn't seem to be anywhere that can be seen around where a door switch would normally be located.

-Don-.

>>What I really need is the location of this switch as it doesn't seem to be anywhere that can be seen around where a door switch would normally be located. <<

I'd bge looking for a hole where the switch used to be--- That cheap plastic switch they show probably broke and is inside the kick plate-- there should be 2 switches-- one on each side.
    Past that--if you can't find it, perhaps a trip to the dealer would be in order?

DonTom

I'd bge looking for a hole where the switch used to be--- That cheap plastic switch they show probably broke and is inside the kick plate-- there should be 2 switches-- one on each side.
    Past that--if you can't find it, perhaps a trip to the dealer would be in order?

I just did a very good check of both doors on the 99 Mustang. No holes, no clues. I even checked the bottom of the doors as well as the frame around the doors.

But I did find the car was built on 12/98, so it's the old 1999 Mustang, not a newer one. so it will be the older style of switch.

I will just wait until I can get to my factory service manuals. I don't like to bother the dealers, unless I am trying to buy something.

I do see possibilities of where the switch might be, such as inside the latch or whatever. But I am not going to take the car all apart until I check to see where it is located for sure.

-Don-

>>I do see possibilities of where the switch might be, such as inside the latch or whatever. But I am not going to take the car all apart until I check to see where it is located for sure.<<

It's just a FRord-- they never do anything really special-- mostly conventional. That switch is there someplace and it will look as pictured!

DonTom

That switch is there someplace and it will look as pictured!

I don't doubt either. I will let you know where it is after I get to my Factory Ford manuals. I give up looking for now.

But thanks for trying to help!

-Don-

>>I will let you know where it is after I get to my Factory Ford manuals. I give up looking for now.<<

I'll be waiting---

mrblanche

Not necessarily. The switches for the door lights on my Volvo truck are entirely hidden. I assume they're magnetic or something.

DonTom

The switches for the door lights on my Volvo truck are entirely hidden.

Is Volvo and Ford now in bed together or something? I noticed my Ford ABS module is the same one as used in Volvos.

-Don-

mrblanche

Ford owns Volvo cars, but Volvo Trucks NA is a separate entity.

DonTom

Ford owns Volvo cars

I didn't know that, this stuff is so hard to keep up with these days.

-Don-

mrblanche

OK, a quick rundown.

Ford owns Volvo and Jaguar.

Volkswagen owns Bentley.

GM owns Saturn.

There are plenty more. Does GM own Saab? Fiat owns Ferrari? GM and Toyota are partners?

You can't tell the players without a program!

Chrysler owns Mercedes or Vice-Versa. And Freightliner. And Detroit Diesel.

And Renault owns Nissan. Or at least, a significant chunk.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

DonTom

For some unknown reason, the courtesy lamp is now working perfectly with both doors. I cannot get it to fail with either door now, no matter how many times I try.

And I didn't do a thing. But by this time next week, I will look up where the door switch is located in my factory service manuals that I left at the Reno home.

But I do now wonder if the problem isn't a door switch at all, but a short somewhere keeping the courtesy lamp on all the time. It's the remote/keyless entry module that powers on the courtesy lamp when it gets it's 12VDC through the door switch. I can see that much from the schematic in my Haynes Ford Mustang manual that I have here.

-Don-

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Mike!

You're gonna get the "buy American!" crowd in a frenzy again....

mrblanche

Well, they deserve to be in a frenzy. My truck is made by a Swedish company, but most of the parts are made in the U.S., although they may be made from tooling imported from Sweden.

And since most "foreign" cars in the U.S. are built here, or at least assembled here, it kind of begs the question, anyway.