Thread: Restification?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Restification?

A growing trend in the classic car hobby is to retrofit an older vehicle with modern equipment - everything from minor stuff (such as replacing an old points-style ignition system with a modern transistorized set-up) to complete drivetrain swaps (with a modern, ECU-controlled engine, etc.)

I don't object myself to minor improvements that don't fundamentally change the car's character - such as swapping in a transistorized ignition, for example. But when I see a classic-era GTO with 20-inch rims, IRS and an injected small block LS1 crate engine, I just cringe. To me, the car's been mutilated - and ruined.

I realize this is subjective and personal - but that's my take. Classic-era muscle cars especially ought to be left unmolested. Gutting them and throwing away their original drivetrains and equipment for modern stuff is like taking a V-16 Caddy from the 1930s and fitting it with a 283 and Power Pak. Ugh.

What do you guys say about this?

rc74racer

Re: Restification?

I don't mind some but when the entire drivetrain and suspension is swapped out it seems kind of pointless to me. I mean if you want to bigger engine, fuel injection, etc... fine but taking an entire z06 drivetrain and suspension then putting it on a 63 vette is too much if you wanted a z06 buy one. I like to step up the performance of 60s and 70s era muscle but there are plenty of aftermarket parts available that keep your car looking somewhat like it what it is supposed to be. I like some of the pro touring stuff out there but I agree with you some are taking it too far. I'm probably somewhere between you and the extreme 63 vette deal I described above.

Staff

I think that the following modifications on 50-70's era vehicles are acceptable:

Rack and pinion steering
    disc brakes
    radial tires
    stiffer springs and anti-roll bars
    4 speed overdrive transmissions
    5 speed manual overdrive transmissions
    Lower numerical axle ratios
    power steering

Those improvements make the car more enjoyable to drive, better for the high speed interstate driving environment.

Unacceptable modifications include

Major changes to the engine such as FI on a carburated car
    Distributorless igniition
    Oversized wheels and tires (even if the rolling diameter is unchanged)
    Stupid rear axle ratios (such as 4:10's)
    Velour upolstry in a car that had vinyl
    Non original instruments (except if the car had an 85 mph or a 100 mph speedometer)

Thats my short list. I think that I could come up with more...

"I don't mind some but when the entire drivetrain and suspension is swapped out it seems kind of pointless to me. I mean if you want to bigger engine, fuel injection, etc... fine but taking an entire z06 drivetrain and suspension then putting it on a 63 vette is too much if you wanted a z06 buy one. I like to step up the performance of 60s and 70s era muscle but there are plenty of aftermarket parts available that keep your car looking somewhat like it what it is supposed to be. I like some of the pro touring stuff out there but I agree with you some are taking it too far. I'm probably somewhere between you and the extreme 63 vette deal I described above. "

Yep.. my feeling is, "why bother"? Why not just buy a modern performance car if you want modern performance? And putting those 20-inch rims on an old muscle car makes me want to heave...

I agree with most of those - but I see no problem with ring and pinion changes. That's been going on for decades, anyhow.

I fail to be offended by anything someone else wants to do to his car, although I reserve the right to snicker to myself at some of the more egregious changes.

An example: A guy who, in the mid-1970s, had a Honda 600 coupe, which he had customized by putting huge wide drag slicks on, complete with flares to cover them. It looked beautiful, but those 15" tires sure looked funny on the rear end of a front wheel drive car (and the front end still had the original 10" wheels and tires on it). The car looked like it was going down a 20% grade at all times, of course.

Did you see the Oldmobile Toronado that Jay Leno had customized for himself? It was featured on Wheels a couple of years ago. 1070 hp, 1000 ft-lbs of torque.

I figure anyone has the right to do what they want to withtheir car - but that doesn't mean I won't lauch at the results!

Restification?

A new word for the automotive industry.....i have never heard of it before ;D

I think minor changes to suspension and brakes are ok...but the big wheel trend I do not like
    Rex
    On the Sunshine Coast, in the Sunshine State Queensland (QLD), Australia

mrblanche

I hope the "big wheel" trend will look as ridiculous as the "tires outside of the fender wells" look is now.

DonTom

I don't object myself to minor improvements that don't fundamentally change the car's character - such as swapping in a transistorized ignition, for example.

IMO, in a collector's car, NOTHING should be changed that does not have to be. Even if that means points and even . . . a carburetor! After all, a true collector's car won't be driven often and points and carburetors are fine for 50 miles per year or so. IMO, the most important thing would be to keep as much original equipment as possible--even the small stuff. But I am not a car collector, I just simply have a collection of cars ;D

-Don-