Thread: Mechanic training

Mechanic training

In the 3 years I've had the CR-V, the "broken parts" cost (i.e. not counting routine maintenance or wear & tear items like tires & brakes) has been a grand total of $32.57 for a brake fluid float that got saturated and didn't float as well anymore.

However, the cost to me to correct mechanic error over the same period has been $340.

There was the $90 set of iridium spark plugs which caused the motor to stall & stumble (replacing them with the $2 ordinary plugs cured the problem). And most recently was the $250 to repair a cross-threaded lugnut (had to pull the hub to press the new one in, which meant the one-time-use wheel bearing also had to be replaced). Both of these situations were discovered/corrected long after I'd left the original shop, so no going back to complain.

It occurred to me that poor training has increased my cost of ownership by a factor of 10.5. Shouldn't Honda take steps to correct this? After all, it's reflecting poorly on their products.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Re: Mechanic training

>>And most recently was the $250 to repair a cross-threaded lugnut (had to pull the hub to press the new one in, which meant the one-time-use wheel bearing also had to be replaced). <<

Honda was born with that bearing problem and will probably die with it. The cross threaded lugnut should have been replaced by the shop that did it unless it was done a very long time prior to you discovering it-- a 6000 mile tire rotation should have uncovered the problem.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

If this stuff happened at a Honda store, then Honda is foolish not to take steps to correct it - and to make sure that its authorized techs know what they are doing.

Your experience is not unusual, apparently. It seems the more complex cars become, the more common it becomes to find the people working on them are out of their depth.

It makes sense when you think how much changes in as little as five years. Doctors have continuing medical education - but how about mechanics? In the past, once a guy learned the basics, he waspretty much ready to work for life. Today, a mechanic whose formal training ended in 1988 is way behind the times....

mrblanche

One hint I give everybody is to LOOK at whatever repairs the shop has just done, plus open the hood and look underneath, BEFORE they drive away. You'd be amazed at how many times I've caught hoses and wires still disconnected, parts installed wrong or still loose, etc.

And I used to have a tool box full of tools I'd found under the hood, left behind by mechanics.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"One hint I give everybody is to LOOK at whatever repairs the shop has just done, plus open the hood and look underneath, BEFORE they drive away. You'd be amazed at how many times I've caught hoses and wires still disconnected, parts installed wrong or still loose, etc.

And I used to have a tool box full of tools I'd found under the hood, left behind by mechanics."

Solid counsel; I do the same!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rose
    a 6000 mile tire rotation should have uncovered the problem.
    That's when it was discovered. But I was in another state at the time, so no going back to the original shop.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

>>That's when it was discovered. But I was in another state at the time, so no going back to the original shop.<<

I beleive I probably would have confronted the owner of the original shop that screwed it up with a copy of the repair bill!