Thread: new camaro

brackman65

new camaro

Have you seen the new concept Camaro yet ... a photo gallery is on The Detroit News home page ... a gorgeous car

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Re: new camaro

"Have you seen the new concept Camaro yet ... a photo gallery is on The Detroit News home page ... a gorgeous car."

Yes - but I think GM's way late to the game (this car won't appear until 2008 sometime, according to what I have been told). The market's already diminished for this type of car - and Ford has a huge head start with the Mustang. But the biggest problem for the Camaro will be price, I suspect. If GM hangs a $30k MSRP on it, it'll be doomed. The target buyer - young single guy - can't afford that (or the insurance). It's part of what killed the car before. To expensive. If they can manage to bring the Z28 to market at around $22k, they'd have a muchbetter chance. They need to remember they're going up not just against Mustang, but also $20k import sport compacts like the Civic Si and Mitsubishi Lancer, etc.

I had a Mustang Shelby Cobra last week, fyi - most fun on four wheels I had all year! (And I m a "GM guy"....)

DonTom

Have you seen the new concept Camaro yet

Tom had a 1996 Camaro before he cracked it up & totalled it out in Golden Gate Park. Good riddance.

Is the new one still a hunk of junk?

Does the engine still have to be removed to get to the spark plugs?

Does the driftshaft still go under the the passenger side and make the passenger very uncomfortable during a long trip?

The only nice thing I could say about our Camaro was that it looked great.

-Don-

"Does the driftshaft still go under the the passenger side and make the passenger very uncomfortable during a long trip?"

I'mpretty sure that was the exhaust system and catalytic converter - not the driveshaft!

\

DonTom

I'mpretty sure that was the exhaust system and catalytic converter - not the driveshaft!

I would think that would get too hot to be there. But I really don't remember for sure now, besides, the outcome is the same--very uncomfortable for the front passenger.

-Don-

mrblanche

The biggest problem is that the new Camaro is not evocative of the orginal car at all, unlike the Mustang.

"I would think that would get too hot to be there. But I really don't remember for sure now, besides, the outcome is the same--very uncomfortable for the front passenger."

I was being facetious; really - I know these cars very well - and they have a dimple in the floorpan on the passenger side to accommodate the converter (which is heat-shielded).

You're right about the design - horribly uncomfortable and an example of poor use of space. My '76 F-car was vastly better in that respect. At least the driver and front-seat passenger are comfortable!

"The biggest problem is that the new Camaro is not evocative of the orginal car at all, unlike the Mustang."

I second that; also, the absence from the market of six-plus years (2002 to the scheduled launch date of mid-late 2008) may be devastating all by itself. That is a generation, in car terms. And buyers in the 18-25 demographic today (prime targets for a car of this type) have no connection to F-cars. They were too young for the last series - and got into other brands during that very important formative period.

Also, Camaro hasn't had a wide audience (unlike Mustang, which appeals to almost everyone) since the '70s and early-mid 1980s. The last series was almost exclusively a "guy's car" that women generally hated. That further cuts down the potential buyer base.

GM appears to be making the same mistakes with the coming 2009 Camaro as it did with the previous Camaro that died back in '02.

Quote Originally Posted by brackman65
    Have you seen the new concept Camaro yet ... a photo gallery is on The Detroit News home page ... a gorgeous car

FYI - GM has a few prototypes on the loose in Australia, apparently. Maybe Rob knows about this??

rc74racer

I wouldn't call it gorgeous by any means. GM is headed in the right direction but they really need to work on the grill and tail. I'm a GM guy at heart but this is just not as exciting as the mustang. The basic lines are there and if they would just take the front end and rear off the 69rs/ss they'd be there. I agree with Eric this car needs to come in cheap 20k for V6 and no more then hi 20s for a z28 or ss model. I'd like to see more power then a mustang too put the 6.1 LS motor in those models. Another problem too is the dodge Challenger which is supposed to be available around the same time and it looks every exciting to say the least. IMO GM is just out of touch with consumers right now with the exception of Cadillac and their truck lines.