Thread: Men plead not guilty to hacking traffic signals

gail

Men plead not guilty to hacking traffic signals

ASSOCIATED PRESS

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...ck=1&cset=true

D_E_Davis

Re: Men plead not guilty to hacking traffic signals

That's one of those sites that requires registration - to which I won't register. Could you provide a summary?

gail

Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis
    That's one of those sites that requires registration - to which I won't register. Could you provide a summary?

Hum - I didn't have to register - let me try again.

gail

Quote Originally Posted by gail
    Quote Originally Posted by D_E_Davis

Hum - I didn't have to register - let me try again.

ASSOCIATED PRESS

LOS ANGELES - Two city engineers pleaded not guilty to felony charges alleging they hacked into the traffic signal system to deliberately cause jams at busy intersections during a labor dispute last summer.

Gabriel Murillo, 37, and Kartik Patel, 34, are accused of rigging computers to tie up four intersections for days in August. They pleaded not guilty Monday to multiple counts of illegally hacking into traffic-control computers and disabling signals.

They were released on their own recognizance by a Superior Court commissioner who ordered them to stay away from city Department of Transportation property unless accompanied by a lawyer.

Investigators said the men picked intersections they knew would cause significant backups because they were close to freeways and major destinations, such as Los Angeles International Airport.

Prosecutors said the hacking occurred on the eve of a two-day job action by members of the Engineers and Architects Association, which represents 7,500 city workers. About 1,500 union members walked off their jobs.

There was a call Monday for an immediate review of ways to tighten security of the computer system managing 3,200 of the city's 4,300 traffic signals.

"The issue here was public safety," Councilwoman Wendy Greuel said. "What if there had been a major accident and we were not able to control the lights while the officers were on their way?"

Murillo was charged with two felonies -- identity theft and unauthorized access to a city computer. Patel was charged with five felonies -- unauthorized access to a city computer and four counts of unauthorized disruption or denial of computer services.