Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Do you know your rights?

  1. #1
    gail
    Guest

    Do you know your rights?

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is an excellent video. It shows how we give away our rights. It is long, but please watch it all. It gives 3 scenarios: A traffic stop, police arriving at your home and a pedestrian stop.

    As informed as I am, I learned new ways to protect my rights. Don't be turned off because it is an ACLU video - I found nothing that I would object to in their philosophy.

    did I say that it was long?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NmC5wHfCdM


  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Interesting that you're agitated about htis - but apparently unconcerned about The Chimp's abrogation of much more important civil liberties - such as the right to be charged with a specific crime and to confront the witnesses against you; and to a speedy trial, etc.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    3,614

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by gail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    did I say that it was long?

    Right, it's too long, I quit at 'everyone step out of the car.'

    How did it turn out?

  4. #4
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Interesting that you're agitated about htis - but apparently unconcerned about The Chimp's abrogation of much more important civil liberties - such as the right to be charged with a specific crime and to confront the witnesses against you; and to a speedy trial, etc.
    I'm not believing this, Eric - are you snorting your bath water again?

    Maybe it is because I lived through WWII and George couldn't hold a candle to FDR in abridging civil liberties. Who knows maybe I would be singing a different tune if I was feeling the sting of my civil liberties being violated. I just don't know. :-\

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    "I'm not believing this, Eric - are you snorting your bath water again?"

    As with your religion, believe what you like. The fact is The Chimp has declared he has the power to deprive American citizens of basic civil liberties, such as the right to be charged with a specific crime, to not be held indefinitely without having been charged, to have a speedy trail - and to use physical torture.

    These are the cold facts; not a matter of belief or opinion. And you don't seem to give a damn - like so many other Chimp supporters. You seem to think it's ok if a "wise man" (your Chimp) is taking away our rights (because "he's just using them against 'the enemy' - and so on).

    Not me.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,635

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    >>How did it turn out?<<

    We lost-- we won-- we lost--we won

  7. #7
    ColleenC1
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    As with your religion, believe what you like. The fact is The Chimp has declared he has the power to deprive American citizens of basic civil liberties, such as the right to be charged with a specific crime, to not be held indefinitely without having been charged, to have a speedy trail - and to use physical torture.

    You keep laying this at the feet of the President, we have a Congress that voted and gave him the Presidential Powers, this is our check and balance system. We also have the Supreme Court. So if there is a problem than there is enough blame to go to all three branches of our government. Get off it!

  8. #8
    DennisWG
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    When FDR order the federal government to seize the property and money of Japanese-American citizens, the Supreme Court ruled in FDR's favor! So much for the Supreme Court n protecting anyone's rights. Not to mention the same court's decisions in Dred Scott, and the famous separate-but-equal decision.


  9. #9
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by DennisWG
    When FDR order the federal government to seize the property and money of Japanese-American citizens, the Supreme Court ruled in FDR's favor! So much for the Supreme Court n protecting anyone's rights. Not to mention the same court's decisions in Dred Scott, and the famous separate-but-equal decision.

    "W" comes up pretty clear compared to other presidents and other questionable liberties against the people. I guess this is why he hasn' done anything to concern me -- Yet!

  10. #10
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    did I say that it was long?

    I watched the entire thing and learnt nothing at all. But I would like to know why during the traffic stop the cop didn't even try to get the dogs. That wasn't explained. I know they do it all the time, when the cops are not given permission to search a vehicle. So why not that time?

    BTW, IMO, it's best to not have anything illegal in your car and just let them do the search, if such is ever requested. BTW, Tom & I have been searched many times, but only when coming back into the USA from Canada, when they don't need our consent. They think something is fishy when they see two guys alone in a RV. It's no big deal. We know they won't find anything illegal, so who cares?

    -Don-



  11. #11
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    did I say that it was long?

    I watched the entire thing and learnt nothing at all. But I would like to know why during the traffic stop the cop didn't even try to get the dogs. That wasn't explained. I know they do it all the time, when the cops are not given permission to search a vehicle. So why not that time?

    BTW, IMO, it's best to not have anything illegal in your car and just let them do the search, if such is ever requested. BTW, Tom & I have been searched many times, but only when coming back into the USA from Canada, when they don't need our consent. They think something is fishy when they see two guys alone in a RV. It's no big deal. We know they won't find anything illegal, so who cares?

    -Don-


    Now we really are talking silly and superstitous.

    #1. They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety -Benjamin Franklin

    #2. It's no big deal. We know they won't find anything illegal, so who cares? No you know how many cops would love to plant something in your car just because you're gai? Or is your lifestyle so dangerous already that it doesn't matter what additional risks you might take?

  12. #12
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    No you know how many cops would love to plant something in your car just because you're gai? Or is your lifestyle so dangerous already that it doesn't matter what additional risks you might take?

    My "lifestyle " is far less dangerous than the average married heterosexual. And if a cop wants to break laws, what can you do? It won't be prevented by your refusal to search your car, if the cop really wants to get you. Perhaps some cop would want to set you up for being a Mormon. Better keep that in the closet, you never know!

    -Don-



  13. #13
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    1. They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety -Benjamin Franklin

    At least get it correct:

    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin


    -Don Quoteman

  14. #14
    mrblanche
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    It's important to get that quote correct, since we give up some liberty for safety all the time. For example, we give up the liberty to drive on the wrong side of the road in exchange for the safety of someone else not hitting us head-on. Every law is, essentially, taking something from someone in order to provide something for someone else. If that were not true, we wouldn't need laws.

  15. #15
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    I have been "laying this at the feet" of The Chimp - because he's the responsible party! It has been The Chimp who has been issuing "signing statements" in which he asserts the unilateral authority to defy the law and do more or less as he pleases. It as The Chimp who "decided" he could label U.S. citizens "enemy combatants" - and deny them their constitutional rights.

    Incredible that you'll blame anyone - except the individual most directly culpable!

  16. #16
    DonTom
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    It's important to get that quote correct, since we give up some liberty for safety all the time.

    And if Gail is asked to be searched during a traffic stop, she will most likely be there for more than an hour or so. If I am asked to be searched, I will most likely be on my way in five minutes. That ACLU video didn't show them wait to get the dogs and just let them go. IMO, that is NOT realistic in any area where illegal drugs are common (and that's just about everywhere in the USA). IOW, Gail would be giving up a lot more liberty than I would.

    -Don-





  17. #17
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    It's important to get that quote correct, since we give up some liberty for safety all the time.
    [color=Red]
    And if Gail is asked to be searched during a traffic stop, she will most likely be there for more than an hour or so. If I am asked to be searched, I will most likely be on my way in five minutes. That ACLU video didn't show them wait to get the dogs and just let them go. IMO, that is NOT realistic in any area where illegal drugs are common (and that's just about everywhere in the USA). IOW, Gail would be giving up a lot more liberty than I would. "

    I agree - but I admire her commitment. It takes people standing up to AH authority to prevent AH authoriy from getting out of hand; but we are fast becoming a nation of flga-waving boobs with a her mentality yearing to be led.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    287

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom
    It's important to get that quote correct, since we give up some liberty for safety all the time.
    [color=Red]
    And if Gail is asked to be searched during a traffic stop, she will most likely be there for more than an hour or so. If I am asked to be searched, I will most likely be on my way in five minutes. That ACLU video didn't show them wait to get the dogs and just let them go. IMO, that is NOT realistic in any area where illegal drugs are common (and that's just about everywhere in the USA). IOW, Gail would be giving up a lot more liberty than I would. "

    I agree - but I admire her commitment. It takes people standing up to AH authority to prevent AH authoriy from getting out of hand; but we are fast becoming a nation of flga-waving boobs with a her mentality yearing to be led.
    I would have thought, Eric, that you knew better than to put your reply inside a quote. How is anyone to tell the difference between what you quoted and what you wrote?

  19. #19
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by mrblanche
    It's important to get that quote correct, since we give up some liberty for safety all the time. For example, we give up the liberty to drive on the wrong side of the road in exchange for the safety of someone else not hitting us head-on. Every law is, essentially, taking something from someone in order to provide something for someone else. If that were not true, we wouldn't need laws.
    ]


    The key word is essential. Here is the definition:

    es·sen·tial /əˈsɛnʃəl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[uh-sen-shuhl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
    ?adjective
    1. absolutely necessary; indispensable: Discipline is essential in an army.

    I don't believe that Franklin was talking about laws prohibiting people from driving on the worng side of the road. He was talking about the rigths as expressed in the bill of rights. Those are essential. The rights described in the first 10 amendments are extremely clear. Judges and legislatures have twisted their meaning. All treasonous actions.

    Laws are meant to perserve life, liberty and property. Unless a clear argument can be made that the law is required for that, it shouldn't exist.

  20. #20
    gail
    Guest

    Re: Do you know your rights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I have been "laying this at the feet" of The Chimp - because he's the responsible party! It has been The Chimp who has been issuing "signing statements" in which he asserts the unilateral authority to defy the law and do more or less as he pleases. It as The Chimp who "decided" he could label U.S. citizens "enemy combatants" - and deny them their constitutional rights.

    Incredible that you'll blame anyone - except the individual most directly culpable!
    Congress could shut him down at the snap of their finger.

Similar Threads

  1. Hooray For Starbucks And Gun Rights
    By Eric in forum Guns, Second Amendment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2013, 01:39 PM
  2. Good news for VA gun rights
    By Eric in forum Guns, Second Amendment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM
  3. Rights - and Wrongs - of the road...
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 04:01 PM
  4. Do you know your Rights and how to exercise them?
    By gail in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-19-2006, 03:39 AM
  5. 1st AMENDMENT Rights
    By gail in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •